Considering Century,,Please Help

knitpurl

We are considering a 5 night Century cruise,,have never cruised Celebrity, so need some help in selecting a deck, or an area..we are thinking Oceanview since this will be a short cruise,,we know nothing about the ship so any advice would be greatly appreciated..Have cruised RCL, NCL and Princess...:)

This would be instead of a 7 night Carnival,, do you think we are making the right choice???

We are considering a 5 night Century cruise,,have never cruised Celebrity, so need some help in selecting a deck, or an area..we are thinking Oceanview since this will be a short cruise,,we know nothing about the ship so any advice would be greatly appreciated..Have cruised RCL, NCL and Princess...:)

This would be instead of a 7 night Carnival,, do you think we are making the right choice???

I sailed on Century in April and you definitely made the right choice. Century is great!! We're loyal RCL cruisers, but Century is near the top of my list of favourite ships. We have lots of info and pictures on our web site if you want the full scoop. (http://web.mac.com/thecruiseguys, click on Celebrity Century on the right hand side of the page)

Mike

I've sailed on Centry twice and love the ship but I did not like a 5 day cruise, it's just a little bit to short.

When selecting a cabin check out deck plans to see what's above the cabin. On deck 4 some of the outside cabins are below the galley for the kitchen, my last cabin #4111 had banging and clanging noises till 1 AM and started up 6AM. My other cabin #8121 was great. Room had a larger window and it was perfectly quiet there.

For oceanview, go with Deck 5 - Plaza. There are only a very limited amount of cabins here, where the halls are spacious and extra wide (as opposed to the narrow halls on other decks), and you've got guest relations, the bank, shore excursions desk, the Grand Foyer, the hotel director's and cruise director's desks, as well as a nice assortment of shops on the same deck. Just don't pick a cabin forward of the forward elevators, or you will be underneath the theatre! Between the forward and the midship elevators is best . . .

If I were going with an OV, this is the deck I would pick.:)

for now we can only do one cruise on Century..we are going with some friends who are still working ( we are retired) and that is all the time they have...

b2b sounds good for another time ..when are you planning to go?

For saome reason I was having so much trouble selecting a cabin but got some good advice right here on this site..

Did you pick a cabin? Are you doing the same one for both cruises?:)

My parents and I did the 5-night on Century back in January. They had a Sky Suite, I had the Inside Cabin across the hall. We had a great trip and loved Century. I think any cabin that sounds good to you (and doesn't have a negative report here on Cruise Critic -- you can search using the ship name and the cabin number to see) will be good!

Make sure you treat yourself to dinner in Murano one night! That's the specialty restaurant with the extra charge. More than worth it!

I sailed on Century in April and you definitely made the right choice. Century is great!! We're loyal RCL cruisers, but Century is near the top of my list of favourite ships. We have lots of info and pictures on our web site if you want the full scoop. (http://web.mac.com/thecruiseguys, click on Celebrity Century on the right hand side of the page)

Mike

WOW,,just got finished browsing your site..what a lot of info,,thanks..

took your advice on the Plaza deck for an OV..hope it is a good one # 5046..

If you have any other Century advice I am all ears...you really seem to have a handle on the ships you sail,,Did read your Tips page,,,

Thanks again ..always open to suggestions...:)

I did a back-to-back on the Century late March and it was a great ship. On the second leg, we occupied a balcony suite (paid for by my company) and I can say it wasn’t worth the extra money, unless you wish to stay in the cabin — and why would anyone want to do that? Celebrity offers excellent food and waiter service. I still drool thinking of it. I’m saving like mad to cruise Celeb’s new ship Solstice, which I understand is being launched at the end of this year.

For oceanview, go with Deck 5 - Plaza. There are only a very limited amount of cabins here, where the halls are spacious and extra wide (as opposed to the narrow halls on other decks), and you've got guest relations, the bank, shore excursions desk, the Grand Foyer, the hotel director's and cruise director's desks, as well as a nice assortment of shops on the same deck. Just don't pick a cabin forward of the forward elevators, or you will be underneath the theatre! Between the forward and the midship elevators is best . . .

If I were going with an OV, this is the deck I would pick.:)

We are sailing on Century in Oct 2009 and decided on an OV since it is such a port heavy West Med itinerary and we expect to be in our cabin less than usual on a cruise. Based on our TA's advice we are booked in cabin 5047 - just as you recommend - glad to hear another positive take on our choice - thanks!

Suggestion: try to get the dining room level where you don't have to go up stairs to get to the public area.. on our first trip we had the other one & it was a pain...we then got the other level & it was much easier--sorry i don't remember whihc is which but maybe someone else will post that info...chief neg of century is the you can't get here from there scenario--but some say it adds to the charm...we had two great curises on her post re-furb so I can't complain..

I just never can believe it when someone says that a balcony is not worth the money. It certainly is a personal thing, but I would never tell anyone else that. We LOVE our balcony and I could not imagine sailing the Med. without one. Unless, of course, your budget will not allow it. We spent every morning on our balcony (2 Med cruises now) enjoying breakfast... watching us being brought into Greece... or a port in Italy... or coming into the French Riviera... My husband loves hanging out there with a glass of wine while we get ready for dinner each night. It is a big part of our vacation. I would hate making it to a public deck to watch us port somewhere. We never splurg for suites, because a balcony is fine for us. But one person cannot tell another person how much time they will spend in their rooms. We do not spend a great deal of time in our room, but the time we do is well spent... enjoying whatever view is out there.

"I just never can believe it when someone says that a balcony is not worth the money."

Usually I would agree with you but the only way we can swing a third cruise in 12 months is by budgeting ourselves a little more carefully. It feels like an incredible luxury to have this many cruises to look forward to in such a short time (we've never done it before) and the rate for the OV cabin is a savings of quite a bit on Century. I think on some of the newer, bigger ships the differential is much less because most of the ship is balcony cabins so we've never questioned getting a balcony before.

This is a 7 day cruise with only one day at sea and in 4 of the 5 ports we will dock at 7 AM. I have never been to this part of Europe before and expect to be up and off the ship as early as possible, coming back as late as possible. We really will be using it as a floating hotel - not the case on our other cruises. In fact, if the $ wasn't so weak we would be taking a land based vacation in Europe instead that summer. There are some trade-offs - I'm sure the view sailing into some of the ports is truly lovely (Portofino and Cannes) but if I have to share it with a few strangers that's fine! In the Caribbean we do not rush off the ship first thing in the morning so we can enjoy breakfast on our balcony and hanging out in the late afternoon.

Now if the upgrade fairy chooses to smile on us or an unexpected bonus heads our way things may change - I'm not adverse to a balcony, just trying to be prudent!

Archived