kenai peninsula land tour questions

#1survivorfan

I did a search on this forum and didn't really find what I was looking for so decided to ask my questions here.....even though they have probably been asked many times before....

I am in the process of planning a pre-cruise land tour for 2 couples in the Kenai Peninsula July 09. We are flexible about the amount of time(6-9 days). I was thinking 2 nights in Girdwood, 3 nights in Homer and 3 nights in Seward.

Any favorite lodging in these areas? Can the Northern Lights book or Toursaver be used at any lodging in these area? How far in advance can you make lodging reservations?

Thanks for all the help!

I would suggest 1 night in Girdwood, and spend that other night in Soldotna or Kenai. Many sights to see there, and maybe you want to add a fishing trip. Even if you don't, visitors to the area are usually fascinated watching others return to the dock with their catch of the day, or watching dipnetting if your timing is right.

I would skip Girdwood altogether. IMO, there is very little there, and the time is better spent elsewhere. If you absolutely want to ago, then as mytime suggests, 1 night is plenty.

Mytime - I was in your Walmart this evening! :)

Any favorite lodging in these areas?

I just spent 3 nights at the Breeze Inn in Seward. They are just opening an entire new section of the motel. It's simple and very nice. The old section is basic but clean and well-tended to. The service is good and the harbor location convenient.

I don't find many deals with the coupon books with lodging. They are also extremely limited in availablity. If of interest to you, check out the offers when they come available, end of this year.

I agree that you need to have your plans well thought out if you are staying in Girdwood. What are you looking at there??? Are you also cruising, out of where??? I too would not stay there 2 nights. Another option would be to add a night in Anchorage, excellent city with plenty of attractions. Very nice day trips, Hatcher Pass, Talkeetna etc.

I suggest, FIRST, you look at these chosen areas and MAKE sure, you have the interest in enough activities to occupy all your time there. Determine WHAT you are going to be doing. Depending on your timeframe, I would look at some fly in bear tours out of Homer, where an extra day could be useful. Fishing??? Then add, Cooper Landing perhaps.

Continue with your homework, before you get fixed on areas and lodging reservations.

If you still plan on spending at least one night in Girdwood, check out the Alyeska Hotel and have dinner in the restaurant at the top of the ski lift. Probably a little more expensive than the other lodging options, but a beautiful facility and the view at the top is outstanding.

Bitzy Cole

Mytime - I was in your Walmart this evening! :)

You have my sympathies having to deal with that parking lot...or maybe you were there late enough it wasn't crowded...I hope so. I see they're changing it again...hopefully putting in a more sensible exit. Sooner or later they've got to get it right (or at least closer to right).

I don't agree with the poster that said a night spent in Girdwood is not worth it. We splurged and stayed at the Alyeska Resort and loved it. We took the tram to the top of the mountain and ate dinner and took a really nice hike as well. It is a very relaxing place to spend a day and night!

We stayed at the Alaska Saltwater Lodge in Seward and loved it. Very rustic and a ways out of town right on Resurrection Bay. If you decide to stay there and would like one of the beautiful view rooms on the 2nd floor, I would make reservations by this fall.

For more info, click on the links below to my trip review and photos from last year.

You have my sympathies having to deal with that parking lot...or maybe you were there late enough it wasn't crowded...I hope so. I see they're changing it again...hopefully putting in a more sensible exit. Sooner or later they've got to get it right (or at least closer to right).

The parking lot is a bit of a maze!

I don't agree with the poster that said a night spent in Girdwood is not worth it. We splurged and stayed at the Alyeska Resort and loved it. We took the tram to the top of the mountain and ate dinner and took a really nice hike as well. It is a very relaxing place to spend a day and night!

I agree Girdwood / Alyeska is good for that. I guess what I am trying to say is that when you compare it to other local options, for me, it falls more toward the bottom of the list. It all depends on what you want to do and the focus of your experience.

Also, the tram experience take a big step down, IMO, if the weather is overcast and rainy.

This is great info and I appreciate the answers. Here's what I want to do and what I was thinking

In Girdwood-splurge at the Hotel Alyeska, dinner at the Seven Glaciers and the tram, also would love to do the glacier jet boats and I believe they are out of Girdwood

Homer-1 day fly-out bear excursion. any suggestions on company??

Kayaking? spend 3 nights there

Seward-Kenai Fjiords tour, exit glacier spend 3 nights there

We are two couples who are not into catching fish but love eating Alaskan fish. We love outdoor activities, kayaking, hiking, etc.

We will be cruising SB 8/1/09 out of Whittier. We have agreed to get a rental car out of Anchorage and drop off at Whittier. In Whittier we will do PWS day of embarktion. Any detailed suggestions, I would LOVE.

BQ....question for you. You once said that there wasn't much to do where the Kenai Princess Lodge is. Has that changed? What are the activites to do in Cooper Landing that you recommend? You gave me great advice on my last land/cruise trip to Alaska!

The Kenai Princess Lodge, is best for those with fishing priorities. There is some rafting in the area, but that's it for activities. This lodge also is full of cruisetour people, sometimes, independent's get a little "lost". I wouldn't be staying there if your activities are in Seward.

You have a lot more time available then you have listed activities.

Archived