Will buffets become a thing of the past

Mikel1733

I am a large person, and I would not mind if their prices were done by the pound, but only if that would mean that I could get a seat that would be comfortable.

Long ago, they used to weigh every passenger on every airplane. Then you were assigned your seat. They still do that for helicopters.

The practice of weighing passengers is primarily on 10 - 12 seat aircraft and is for weight and balance requirements only.

I think the airlines should charge passangers by the pound. Everything in this country that is transported from one place to another by truck, train, ship or plane (except pax) is charged by the pound. Why should a 105lb lady pay the same for a seat as a 325lb overweight man ? It is going to take more fuel consumpstion to get him from point a to b.

If you ship a package with UPS/Fedex/USPS it is all done on weight.....

I'm all for it. Let the people that take up a seat and a half on the plane (that I am usually stuck next to) pay more.:cool: :cool:

Then maybe they'll push away from the buffet and walk more and lose some weight. That way my medical insurance will go down because I won't have to be paying all that extra money for their heart attacks and a multitude of other medical problems.;)

Then also we won't have to pay for that extra piece of luggage we take on the plane because 60% of the people on the plane won't be overweight....

OK...I'll stop now........:D

I'm all for it. Let the people that take up a seat and a half on the plane (that I am usually stuck next to) pay more.:cool: :cool:

Then maybe they'll push away from the buffet and walk more and lose some weight. That way my medical insurance will go down because I won't have to be paying all that extra money for their heart attacks and a multitude of other medical problems.;)

Then also we won't have to pay for that extra piece of luggage we take on the plane because 60% of the people on the plane won't be overweight....

Ya know, I am heavy. But, I walk three miles every day cross country, watch what I eat (my LDL is under 100) and my blood pressure is good. I'm also probably older than you, and I might even be healthier. So, what health problems do I have that are affecting YOUR health care costs? I think bigots like you should shut up. :D

There, a little smiley to make it "right." Jerk.

Searching for ways to survive the fuel crisis Airlines are now considering an option to treat passengers like freight and determine ticket prices by the passengers weight. No more fancy buffets!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aJmRIapedEs0&refer=home

So here's my question. Are they going to raise the rates for heavier individuals and lower them for lightweights?

My DW is 105 lbs and 5' tall. I am 5'9" and 205...will it even itself out?

You know darn well it will adjust up from their current rate and not down if you are 100 lbs.

I refuse to fly at these prices, it's out of hand. I'll stay with the ports that are close to home. I can fly to Florida for about $180 RT it would cost me $2000 to fly.

Not a good subject to get me on.....I will end up politically incorrect on here.....

I've never heard of 2nd hand weight killing others like drunk drivers or second hand smoke.

The insurance BS argument would need to be applied across the board to include alcoholics and smokers.

Genetics plays a huge role in many diseases so we need to start DNA testing passengers and charge some of them more for that.

People who build houses in mud slide and fire prone areas on the left coast drive up my insurance, too. Same for those who live in tornado alley.

Yada Yada.

Never going to happen. Discrimination against men who normally weigh more, against people with health problems (ADA), against tall people, no one is going to stand on the scale and you have already bought your ticket when you arrive at the luggage scale.

I've never heard of 2nd hand weight killing others like drunk drivers or second hand smoke.

The insurance BS argument would need to be applied across the board to include alcoholics and smokers.

Genetics plays a huge role in many diseases so we need to start DNA testing passengers and charge some of them more for that.

People who build houses in mud slide and fire prone areas on the left coast drive up my insurance, too. Same for those who live in tornado alley.

Yada Yada.

And don't forget the idiots -- not naming any posters in this thread but watch it disappear anyway -- who tend to have accidental injuries and death from all sorts of stupidity.

I agree with "inco". Lawsuits would fly!!!!

The only places where I've ever seen this happen was in the former Soviet Union and other Eastern bloc countries back in the day. There were a few really remote places where small 2 engine Cessnas were used, etc...and there are a few off-the-beaten path places in Alaska where it happens....weight being very important in some of those tundra places.

There is no need to do this on jet service.....it's ridiculous.

I think the airlines should charge passangers by the pound. Everything in this country that is transported from one place to another by truck, train, ship or plane (except pax) is charged by the pound. Why should a 105lb lady pay the same for a seat as a 325lb overweight man ? It is going to take more fuel consumpstion to get him from point a to b.

If you ship a package with UPS/Fedex/USPS it is all done on weight.....

oooops - too late.

And I'm afraid the cost of your medical insurance isn't going down. Now you're going to have to subsidize the cost of my hospitalization for the stroke you just caused me to have when you jacked up my blood pressure.

I think I'll go meditate now, so I don't get this threat yanked like yesterday's was.

Parish the thought!!!!! I was a flight attendant with United from 1967 to 1987and though I wore a size four . . . getting on that darn scale before the first trip of every month was downright humilatating . . . I felt like a cow . . . "move um on, head um up and get them on that scale." To now have to pay for that would be adding insult to injury (I am no longer a size four . . . actually I'm four times four now . . . :eek: ).

The airlines could increase fares 2X or 3X or 4X and the service will remain the same. As they take planes out of service and drop routes the planes will remain full, you will still be treated like cattle, flights will remain late or be canceled, and TSA will treat us like crap. The idea of weighing people is absolutely asinine. I'm really surprised at the response of some of the folks here.:(

Why in our society is problem solving always associated with charging higher fees or increased taxation? School taxes, cigarette taxes, 1st bag charge, 2nd bag charge, flight snack charge, flight meal charge, and next will be a lavoratory charge! Usually more money never solves problems.

Why can Southwest Airlines historically operate with a profit and other airlines can't? Possibly better management. I think the CEOs and top execs need to do some self examination and take/make some cuts where there is waste and extravagance.

Some of these airlines remind me of restaurants who raise menu prices plus cut portion sizes and quality. They only hurt themselves and lose customers. Most customers don't mind higher prices if size and quality are both retained.

[quote name='rwalls']Why in our society is problem solving always associated with charging higher fees or increased taxation? School taxes, cigarette taxes, 1st bag charge, 2nd bag charge, flight snack charge, flight meal charge, and next will be a lavoratory charge! Usually more money never solves problems.

Why can Southwest Airlines historically operate with a profit and other airlines can't? Possibly better management. I think the CEOs and top execs need to do some self examination and take/make some cuts where there is waste and extravagance.

Some of these airlines remind me of restaurants who raise menu prices plus cut portion sizes and quality. They only hurt themselves and lose customers. Most customers don't mind higher prices if size and quality are both retained.[/quote]

Southwest has a better business model (fly one type of plane, utilize secondary airports when possible, one passenger class, etc., etc.) , doesn't have to deal with unions, and hedges the heck out of fuel. If not for the fuel hedging they would have lost money at least 1 year and perhaps more.

The nickel and diming is because TAs and Internet search engines look for the lowest prices and surcharges aren't included in those prices. If they raise fares, they will lose more business than if they pile surcharges on. At least that is their theory.

Midnight buffets have already been eliminated on several cruiselines. I appreciate that Carnival has still retained them, and especially the one night when the chefs pull out all the stops and create a culinary wonderland. Few people in their life time ever get to experience anything like it! That makes my cruise memorable. Hopefully this remains true of other cruisers inspite of what their scale registers! Thanks, Carnival, for retaining your buffets.:)

late 60's fwd..every night a diff theme midnight buffet. but then only 2 dining times 5-ish and 7-ish..so at least an appetite was worked up by then.. some were pool side with palm fronds lashed to poles, music for the theme, costume ball..a night with the galley tour and working chefs in some areas..and so, there were no "Lido" inside buffets either..just poolside lunch buffet and pizza grill..and comp drinks at sail away..and drill was next morning!

[B]I personally hate the midnight buffet. Once you see it they are all basically the same. And my God who would eat that food after everyone walks by it coughing , sneezing , laughing , taking pictures , plus it sits out for so long...get some sleep and start early the next morning! Just my opinion of course don't get crazy about it:D [/B]

[quote name='thisguy74']
What we all need are JETPACKS![/quote]

what we need is BEAMING!!

I wish someone would hurry up and figure out how to do this before I'm too old to beam around the world!

Archived