TR: Carnival Legend May 4th

snc421

I am enjoying your review very much!! What about dinner on non-formal nights...How were people dressed?? Did the men seem to be taking advantage of being able to wear shorts to the dining room?? What did the women wear?? We cruise on the 22nd' date=' and I'm just trying to get a basic idea of what to bring to eat in!! Thanks!!:)[/quote']

For myself, I took several dresses with me, and just always wore a nice dress for dinner. DH always wore a polo and dress pants, except formal night, of course. Our tablemates always wore nice clothes as well. As for others, I have to say I really didn't pay much attention. :( What I did see, people generally were casual, almost come-as-you-are. I guess the policy is that guys can wear dress shorts.....:mad: If we'd have known that, DH would have been more comfortable, and I like how his polos are untucked with shorts. He was wearing dress pants, therefore his polos were tucked. Oh well, at dinner I could only see him from the waist up!

I'm loving your pictures!!! beautiful review' date=' can't wait to read the rest![/quote']

Thank you!

This has been fun so far reliving our March trip on the Legend and looking forward to our November trip! We loved it so much we booked it again!

Kelly

I would also love to take the Legend again! Living in Florida, is it that much cheaper to cruise? Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you enjoy!

Great stuff! Grand Cayman is really beautiful. Now, the Legend just has to get there next time (we went when we were on the Inspiration, but missed it last time).

Yes, Cayman is beautiful! From what I heard, any given cruise has a one-in-three chance of having to miss stopping at Cayman! The waters are shallow way out, and the ship would easily bottom out when there's much in the way of wave activity... that's what I heard. I would be so mad if I had to miss a port, but I understand that's part of the life.

This review is great! We are going on the Legend (our first cruise ever!) in January for our 10 yr anniversary. We can't wait!

Thanks! This was our first cruise as well. And that of our tablemates, who were celebrating 25 years. Congrats on 10 years! It hasn't even been 10 weeks for us yet! LOL January should be an awesome time to go!

Oops! :eek: I forgot the smiley!!:D

:D

Yes, Cayman is beautiful! From what I heard, any given cruise has a one-in-three chance of having to miss stopping at Cayman! The waters are shallow way out, and the ship would easily bottom out when there's much in the way of wave activity... that's what I heard. I would be so mad if I had to miss a port, but I understand that's part of the life.

We had a snorkel excursion planned anyway that we would have likely had cancelled because the seas were really rocky that morning so we weren't too upset. I'd rather be safe than sorry and they made it a really nice sea day so that I could lay out by the adult pool :D

Thanks! This was our first cruise as well. And that of our tablemates, who were celebrating 25 years. Congrats on 10 years! It hasn't even been 10 weeks for us yet! LOL January should be an awesome time to go!

:D

In my 8 cruises I have only had to miss one port. (Costa Maya due to rough waters that made it difficult to dock. :mad: ) I've been to Grand Cayman 4 times, and we have made it each time we were scheduled. I'm hoping that one day I will be able to make it to Costa Maya.

May 6, continued: Grand Cayman

Lunchtime.... Margaritaville!

2881386900103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

A 2 story Margaritaville? Nice! We looked around at shirts and such. I didn't find one to my liking, so I decided to get a margarita in a yard glass. I received the margarita in a pilsner glass, but I'm not picky. DH liked it more anyways as it was glass. I had a margarita at the Margaritaville in Orlando and it was the best I've ever had, so I was excited for this one... but was disappointed in this one. Way heavy on the mix. Not that I'm complaining about a lack of tequila, that's not the case. I am sensitive to citric acid. Yeah, why'd I get a margarita is the question... like I said, the other one was phenomenal. I learned to make it exactly like that for myself and friends. Anyways, I had a glass of water, too, so I just cut it as I drank it. It was enjoyable that way. Yes, I could taste the tequila (YUM)... even more as I cut it, which is funny.

DH had a burger & fries and one soda. I had a fish sandwich & fries and my one margarita. With tip, $60.00 USD! Woah! My margarita was like $16 with the glass, but like I said, I got it in lieu of a shirt, and I got to keep the glass. Actually I went to the bar and asked the bartender to rinse out my glass; she just grabbed a new one, wrapped it in Margaritaville tissue paper, and we were on our way!

As we were leaving, we see this slide on the 2nd floor.

2292240890103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

With our tummies full, we set our on our shopping adventure... but one last look back at Margaritaville.

2155782820103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

Looking out at Legend and Magic...

2220345760103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

There were a couple fountains and statues here and there in the shopping areas...

2366718420103423144S425x425Q85.jpg2413157700103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

We had a snorkel excursion planned anyway that we would have likely had cancelled because the seas were really rocky that morning so we weren't too upset. I'd rather be safe than sorry and they made it a really nice sea day so that I could lay out by the adult pool :D

That's cool you were able to make the most of this day.... and at least you have been there at one point!

In my 8 cruises I have only had to miss one port. (Costa Maya due to rough waters that made it difficult to dock. :mad: ) I've been to Grand Cayman 4 times, and we have made it each time we were scheduled. I'm hoping that one day I will be able to make it to Costa Maya.

Like I said, I had heard onboard about the one-in-three chances. That's awesome you haven't missed it, and that you've only missed one port overall... but, ooh... to miss Costa Maya would irk me! It does irk me, when we originally planned to go on this cruise, Costa Maya was one of our ports... then I turned 30 and for my birthday, a hurricane took it out! (We had bad floods here at the time too... I said God was mad and crying with me that I had turned 30... LOL I'm over it now!) I was psyched to stop in 2 places in Mexico! Roatan was really nice though, so now I'm back and forth on whether I'd want to have stopped at Costa Maya or Roatan. Here's hoping both you and I can go to Costa Maya one day!

I did get a Cayman shirt along the way, and of course my Margaritaville glass. DH got a great shirt from Harley-Davidson. We read in our shopping map that there's a jewelry store that will give you a one karat sapphire just for stopping by, so that's where we headed. We were directed to the upstairs and received our sapphires. (One for each of us.) We looked around a little, and I found something I like.

2654230300103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

A seahorse pendant. It's carved from a stone called Caymanite. It's called such because it's only found on Grand Cayman. This picture doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea. They had starfish and sea turtles as well, but I liked that the seahorse is reversible. The detail is on both sides. Yes, the seahorse is mine, and I have the perfect dress to wear it to dinner tonight!

Time to head back to the ship. I took a pic from the tender of the general area of our balcony, just above the lifeboats.

2160433900103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

We went back up to the Lido to get some pics of the area before we leave...

2532715990103423144S425x425Q85.jpg2583479560103423144S425x425Q85.jpg2035358430103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

I took pics of a couple tender boats...

2942537290103423144S425x425Q85.jpg2140306290103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

Another pic of the Disney Magic...

2023820020103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

And of the pirate ship...

2382274400103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

Now it's time to say goodbye...

2026159450103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

You can see how the water is churning as we were turning around. I thought that dark cloud would open up on us, but it didn't. It was a while before dinner, but it was great to be lazy. We got changed and enjoyed some pool and sun.

We were heading west, from Cayman to Cozumel. Really cool, we were riding off into the sunset! We found a spot in the front of the ship to watch the show. Luckily DH is tall. He was able to put his arms up and get some shots over the railing. There was a shorter guy who asked DH to get some shots on his camera as well, so DH was switching back and forth. He's such a nice guy!

2420001060103423144S425x425Q85.jpg2272351220103423144S425x425Q85.jpg2230747740103423144S425x425Q85.jpg2908014280103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

At yet another great dinner this evening, we felt the ship and everything in the dining room start shaking. Alot. We didn't know why at first. This is what was cool about our window table...

2572504930103423144S425x425Q85.jpg2013317890103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

A ship was passing us! We must have had to brake to let them pass us. We thought at first it was a Carnival ship because of the way the lights are strung at the top, but now that I see these pics, there's no mistaking it is a Carnival ship! How cool to see! The only other ship in Cayman with us was the Magic, so I'm not sure where this one came from.

Yet again, we stayed late in the dining room and missed the shows. But, great conversation with our tablemates! They, and us, really grew to look forward to our dinners together. Here's a pic of us at dinner. My seahorse with the perfect dress. I'm SO glad we got this picture, and I'll explain why in a minute.

2111178260103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

At some point during dinner, my seahorse landed in my hand. There's a hook drilled into the pendant to attach it to the gold piece that you thread the chain through. The gap in the hook was too big. We went to the jewelry store to see if somebody can do something about this. The gal working there took some pliers and closed the gap. We'd get it soldered (sp?) when we get home.

Back in our room, we find tonight's animal...

2135685470103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

We 'lost' our stingray from the first night, but were able to keep the elephant, so we got a pic of the 'friends'...

2292514530103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

Tomorrow we'll be in Cozumel, and for that reason I am bouncing off the walls. Oh my goodness, the moment I've been waiting for since Christmas 2002 was about to happen!!!! My mind cannot sleep, so I went into the bathroom to look at the detail and colors in my seahorse. Well, it came apart again. This time I wasn't so lucky. It hit the granite floor and broke into 4 pieces! I told DH he would not believe what just happened. He ran in the bathroom because he thought my stone fell out of my engagement ring and down the drain. (We knew that it was loose.) His first reaction wasn't nice. (There's 90 bucks down the drain!) So of course my excitement about Cozumel was shattered like my seahorse. I cried so hard for so long. It was long after 2 before I could finally cry myself to sleep. My honeymoon necklace is gone forever.

Like I said, DH's first reaction wasn't nice, but the diplomatic Libra I love soon resurfaced. He tried to console me by reminding me about the CCL Buyer's Guarantee. Because we bought the necklace at a store off the map, we can probably get either an exchage or refund. That helped, but not much. If we get a refund, I have no necklace. If we get an exchange, it won't be the same, as there's no way to get an exact one like I had. So we'll meet up with Keith and or Stephanie, the shopping liasons, tomorrow in Cozumel and see what we should do.

We did not have any excursions for this day. We had our shopping map, and intended to do some shopping at some point. We walked around a little to familiarize ourselves a little.

2821091080103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

Wooo Senor Frogs! As this place and most others weren't open at this early hour, we figured we'd hit the beach for a little while and come back to shop. We went back to the general port area and had no problem arranging a taxi to Seven Mile Beach for $4.00 USD each.

The driver took us to a place not real far from the port, probably a 10 minute ride. I didn't catch the sign of where we were. He said there's public restrooms and changing areas here, and that a restaurant and bar were setting up and would open soon. We walked out onto the beach and we were all by ourselves.

For whatever reason, we decided to walk the beach for a while. The sand was pretty soft, and white. There were no shells to be found, but here and there are white pieces of coral. Like rocks. Well, they're smoothed, though. We came up on a stand where you can arrange your own parasailing, jet skis, snorkel tours, etc. There was a young British guy at the stand. We chatted with him for a little bit. He told us we could use the restroom of the building behind us to change. There was an open-air restaurant... the smells were wonderful, but I'm here to swim!

This water is so amazingly clear. It's clearer than a pool, clearer than a glass of water. Words cannot describe it.

2921473650103423144S425x425Q85.jpg2273108840103423144S425x425Q85.jpg2289240870103423144S425x425Q85.jpg2016186280103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

The last pic is perhaps the best representative of the clarity. Those ripples you see is the sand under the water.

The water was cool at 8:00 AM local time, but I loved it regardless. I have an unnatural fear of swimming with fish, or should I say, of fish touching me... but I had the sudden strong urge to snorkel! I never thought I'd ever say that, even when I lived in Cancun. But at Cayman, it's like you can see the fish from soooo far away. Plenty of time to get away from any fish... **fingers crossed!**

The guy at the stand told us that the hotel next door would soon be brought down and condos put up.

2788700310103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

What a unique photo with the shadows. Love it!

I don't know about cheaper rates in Florida. We live in Wisconsin. We do use the military rate and I thank Carnival for that!

Kelly

Again, I assumed. When will I learn not to do that?!? :o You were so knowledgeable about the actual fate of the Sunshine Skyway, that's why I thought you must live in Florida. How cool that you do get a military discount. Any discount is great! You live in Wisconsin?!?!?! I live in Wisconsin, too! My house is literally 2 blocks north of the Illinois border, and we have a place in the Dells.

What a unique photo with the shadows. Love it!

Thank you! I am so glad it turned out that way because it really does convey just how clear that water is in a way that words cannot. Thanks for reading!

I love the Dells! Haven't been there for a few years now. We are in NE WI on the MI border.

Kelly

Wow... way up there! I've been to Bayfield and Superior, but haven't been in your direction. I would like to see it someday, as I would have to go through there to go to the UP.

Yes, the Dells is a nice area to relax in. No palm trees or blue water, but our place is relaxing nonetheless. You will sure be in for a surprise when you do go back there, though. As you can imagine, there's a LOT of construction, new resorts, et al. If you can remember the dog track, that is now gone... replaced by an outlet mall! :D

May 7: Cozumel!!!!!!

DH was actually up before me this morning. He stepped out for a smoke and told me he sees land. When I lived in Cancun, I spent a good amount of time at Playa Delfines (Dolphin Beach.) Occasionally I saw a cruise ship on the horizon, so I raced out to the balcony to see what he sees, as I knew our side of the ship was looking at the mainland. I could tell there were resorts, but I didn't think it was Cancun. I went back inside to check out Channel 14 to see our recent path, and was happy to see that our path didn't go by Cancun, so I didn't miss out on that afterall.

My heart was still heavy for my seahorse, but I was over it and went up to the Lido to watch our approach to Cozumel. I had been there before on a day trip while I was in Cancun, and was anxious to see how it was impacted by Wilma.

A cruise ship was coming up behind us.

2535454890103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

Cozumel was coming into view. I was excited to see some familiarity...

2921087150103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

There's where I arrived at Cozumel before! Those ferries are even the same!

2052743990103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

I see the McDonald's I ate at before! (The red roof mid-right in the pic.)

We're getting closer.......

2634598660103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

2522297780103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

I love these colors..... Nothing like them!

2424646460103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

Funny you mention the UP! That is where both DH and I are from! Ishpeming! One of my favorite vacations is the lilac festival on Mackinaw Island. Another place I haven't been to for a few years. So many places to visit just never enough time.

Kelly

I love the seahorse pendant - I feel so bad for you that it broke! Do you remember the name of the store? A one-karat sapphire sounds nice.

I think the first towel animal you got was a seal. I bought the how-to towel animal book for my DDs on our last cruise, and I looked it up. :o

I am really enjoying your review! :D

Funny you mention the UP! That is where both DH and I are from! Ishpeming! One of my favorite vacations is the lilac festival on Mackinaw Island. Another place I haven't been to for a few years. So many places to visit just never enough time.

Kelly

Ain't that the truth!

I love the seahorse pendant - I feel so bad for you that it broke! Do you remember the name of the store? A one-karat sapphire sounds nice.

I think the first towel animal you got was a seal. I bought the how-to towel animal book for my DDs on our last cruise, and I looked it up. :o

I am really enjoying your review! :D

2654230300103423144S200x200Q85.jpg

I miss my seahorse! But..... you'll see....;)

I did keep all of my shopping maps from wach of the four stops. My Grand Cayman shopping map lists it as #38, The Landmark Jewellers of Cayman Ltd. It says in the description "Show this map for a free 1 ct. sapphire. Visit coin expert, M. Lemay." We went into the store and were directed upstairs. The lady up there was the person we needed. We told her we were here for sapphires. She walked over to wherever and came right back with two small plastic bags, clear on one side, each with a blue stone in it. We noticed the seahorse in the short time she was gone, and purchased it right away... she then grabbed two more sapphires for us as well.;) My receipt says the store is called Treasures of the Deep. It does seem like it's one in the same store, though. Which I wish I'd have realized because I saw that store listed on the plaza's directory, and couldn't figure it out! I thought I didn't go to it.... oh well, at least I did get something from there after all!

Thanks for telling me your thoughts on my towel animal! I was wondering what it is for sure, but was embarrassed to ask my steward.

And thanks for reading and commenting on my story!

May 7, continued: Cozumel!!!!!!!

Still approaching the pier, I see Senor Frogs come into focus.....

2932755030103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

A Carnival ship passes us....

2403029820103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

A ferry to the mainland, to the city of Playa del Carmen...

2032965000103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

Coming real close to the pier... is that a US Coast Guard ship?

2125865450103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

Yes, it is!

2099924030103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

As we docked at the pier, I raced downstairs to make sure DH was ready to go. I'm not playing around about this day. I was on a mission to prove that those horror stories that have prevented DH from taking me to Cancun were the rarity and not the norm in Mexico. We got downstairs to where we needed to be to get off the ship right away. Again, signs made it easy to find.

As it turns out, the ship that was coming up behind us earlier was the Disney Magic... the stalker ship. (My friend called it that when I told her my story, because it followed us here from Grand Cayman.) They were docking at the same pier as us. An announcement was made shortly after 10:00 that we had to wait to get off the ship. We had to wait for the Disney Magic to be securely tied to the pier for safety reasons. Oooh I was mad! So does this mean we get extra time in Cozumel? Probably not. (Told ya I was serious about this day!) I fumed silently, though. I knew there was nothing to be done about it, and to let myself get upset would be pointless and childish. Not to mention it could bring me down for my whole day, so I let it go.

We were let off the ship and I was in Mexico!!!!!!!! Oh my God that was one of the most intense feelings I have felt in a long time! I thought this day would never happen, that I would be back in Mexico. Now I just pray that nothing but good things happen today, so that DH just might take me to Cancun someday...

Oh, and I just gotta take this picture of these colors off the pier...

2390863310103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

Archived