Registered Massage therapists on Grand Princess?

burm

Please excuse me if this topic has been covered but the Search never seems to work for me.

Can anyone tell me if there is a registered massage therapist on the Grand Princess? I am worried that I will have trouble surviving 2 weeks without either a deep tissue massage or a chiropractor. I also hope I can claim it on my insurance if they are registered :)

Keep in mind that although these ships sail out of the U.S. they are not registered in the U.S. but are always registered in foreign countries.

I would doubt that there are any registered massage therapists as you would know them, but I could be wrong on this one.

As for claiming a massage on your insurance? Are you talking your private insurance? As most do not cover anything onboard a ship, at least no type of BC/BS or other larger U.S. companies that I have ever run across.

And cruise line insurance will not cover the cost of a massage onboard a ship, no matter what the reasons, as that is a spa treatment and not considered a medical treatment onboard.

You might want to give your private insurance a call, as I have not heard of any of them covering any medical costs of any kind onboard a cruise ship. Just to make sure.

Even if medical insurance doesn't cover it, that is besides the point actually. There are lots of different massages that you can book through the spa onboard, but I doubt you will find anything like those given for medical reasons by an actual massage threapist as you would at home.

Therapists in the spas run by Steiner (which are on all Princess ships) are registered in the sense that they’ve completed courses given by Steiner. Some of these Steiner graduates are fully certified massage therapists, but as Toto infers, their certification is probably from a non-US country as most of them are not from the US.

So, you may be able to find a “registered” therapist depending on how you define “registered.” I have had good deep tissue massages on board, but depending on what you're used to, you might find them lacking.

Therapists in the spas run by Steiner (which are on all Princess ships) are registered in the sense that they’ve completed courses given by Steiner. Some of these Steiner graduates are fully certified massage therapists, but as Toto infers, their certification is probably from a non-US country as most of them are not from the US.

So, you may be able to find a “registered” therapist depending on how you define “registered.” I have had good deep tissue massages on board, but depending on what you're used to, you might find them lacking.

I asked in the spa specifically for a RMT and there happened to be one on board with the correct Canadian qualifications, so my insurance was happy (I am canadian). It is very much luck of the draw whether you will find a correctly certified RMT. I would ask the insurance company what are their specific requirements and then present them to the spa manager to see if they can match them. If they cannot, you can still have a fabulous massage!

I have had good deep tissue massages on board, but depending on what you're used to, you might find them lacking.

That is what I want to hear, that you did have a good deep tissue massage.

I will ask the insurance company if I happen to be speaking with them but I need the massage(s) regardless. It would be nice to be reimbursed because the cost on the ship is so much more than I usually pay.

I am just wondering what other people's experiences were, both with the massage and with the insurance company.

I asked in the spa specifically for a RMT and there happened to be one on board with the correct Canadian qualifications, so my insurance was happy (I am canadian). It is very much luck of the draw whether you will find a correctly certified RMT. I would ask the insurance company what are their specific requirements and then present them to the spa manager to see if they can match them. If they cannot, you can still have a fabulous massage!

Thank you. I hope we have the same insurance company :) - I too am Canadian.

That is what I want to hear, that you did have a good deep tissue massage.

If you have one, let the person who schedules you know that you want a deep tissue massage. I think some of the therapists are worried that people don’t know what they’re getting into when asking for deep tissue – they’ve questioned me more than once when I’ve asked for one – because sometimes people are sore afterward. I love deep tissue massages and so I make sure my therapist knows that I don’t mind the pressure.

If you have one, let the person who schedules you know that you want a deep tissue massage. I think some of the therapists are worried that people don’t know what they’re getting into when asking for deep tissue – they’ve questioned me more than once when I’ve asked for one – because sometimes people are sore afterward. I love deep tissue massages and so I make sure my therapist knows that I don’t mind the pressure.

I agree, you have to tell them if you have a specific problem, that it is not just for relaxation. While therapists always warn me that I will likely be sore afterwards I find that I always feel less pain than before because they have relieved the problem.

Archived