Caye Caulker-snorkle tour or not w/ small kids?!

Guest Time2gocruzn

Guest Time2gocruzn

I am really considering Coral Breeze shark ray tour. BUT I will be with my almost 4 yr old, and almost 2 year old. I know they are too young to snorkle, but I think they would enjoy the boat ride and seeing the fish etc. I am also traveling w/ my parents (in their 60's). I am starting to question my decision, and need your opinions. Although this company/tour sounds wonderful, I think the majority of our group would stay on the boat anyway. I am thinking maybe we should just take a taxi to Caye Caulker and hang out there, instead of doing the tour. Is it possible to snorkle from the beach there? I know Belize is one of the world's best place to snorkle, and I don't want to miss it, but I am not sure this tour is for us. Please help. If I don't make a decision soon, I am going to drive myself crazy. :eek: :confused: :D Thanks

I know how you feel...my 4 1/2 year old is a great swimmer and even snorkels (in the pool) but he is afraid of sharks and I don't really expect that he will want to get in the water when he sees them so I may just sign him up for the "observer" tour, its $20 cheaper but he can still get in the water and swim if he wants to or just look at the sharks/rays up close from the boat.

Guest Time2gocruzn

Thanks. I talked to Paul (coral breeze guy) about that before. He said I could pay the observer rate, and if somebody changes their mind, we can just pay the extra $20 on the boat. I am just worried it might make for a long day, if 4 out of 6 in our party don't want to get in the water while on the boat, KWIM? I am just torn as what to do, and if we are going to do this, I want to book this soon. Thanks for your response. :)

I just found out that the Coral Breeze Shark Ray Tour will not be available the day we are there so I'm looking into the cave tubing excursions....I figure that if I go all the way down to Belize, I should do something that you can't do everywhere else and I've heard that their cave tubing is really great.

I forgot to add that there is a company that offers the tour for families with young children. :D

We just returned Saturday from our cruise. We did the shark/ray alley tour w/coral breeze-they are wonderful !!!! I do not think young children would enjoy this tour. The water was very choppy. I don't think its uncommon. There were several kids under the age of 10. They did not seem to enjoy themselves. There is not a lot of room on the boat to move around. I don't believe there is a way to take a taxi to Caye Caulker. I am under the impression that it is one of many Cayes and is surronded by water. :p

Thanks for that review....I wouldn't want to be on choppy water. I was wondering about that but since no one had mentioned it in any of the reviews I read, I assumed that it would not have been a problem. Glad you wrote about it....I can cruise on big ships but little boats in choppy water are a different story! :eek:

Guest Time2gocruzn
I don't believe there is a way to take a taxi to Caye Caulker. I am under the impression that it is one of many Cayes and is surronded by water. :p

Thanks. When I said Taxi, I meant the water taxi's that run there. You can board them right outside the tourism village. Coral breeze runs water taxi's as well.:rolleyes: I was aware it is an island. Thanks!

For my trip in early September, the water was rather smooth in the areas where we snorkeled. It was a bit choppy for portions of the boat ride, but not uncomfortably so.

As far as younger children, I guess that is up to the individual parents, but IMO, a 4yo and 2yo might be in a little over their heads (no pun intended). There is quite a bit of swimming involved in the reef portion of the snorkel. There are opportunities to rest, but I imagine small children would tire easily.

Just my IMO...

You could take the water taxi to Caye Caulker, but it is a 45 minute ride that can be rough. There is no good snorkeling from the shore. I just don't think either of these options is going to be good for small children. Have you checked into the new Coral Sands resort referred to on these boards? It is much closer and has a nice beach. Maybe you all could go for the day there, and you could take their half day snorkel tour while the others stayed at the beach.

I haven't been to Rendezvous Cay, but I would think that this shorter trip would be better for children. I understand there is beach there as well as snorkeling. Also a catamaran should be a smoother ride than the water taxis. I spent several days on Caye Caulker 2 years ago, so I really only know details about CC.

Guest Time2gocruzn

Thanks for your replies. If we did the coral breeze trip, we weren't planning on the kids snorkeling. We just figured grandma would sit on the boat w/ them while we snorkeled, or we could take turns. Maybe they could just get in the water and then back on the boat. BUT it does seem like a lot of boat time. I am now looking into Coral Sands Beach Resort. Only a 20 minute ride from the village and from the resort, only a 5 minute ride to the snorkle site. Sounds much better for us.:)

Archived