Pacific Sun in Noumea

Re Pacific Sun - Noumea:

Damage to stabiliser about 2.30am. Damn French keyboard. Letter keys all in the wrong places. Cant touch type. Grrr....

Delayed into port. Ashore by tender in fairly rough seas. Late departure. Otherwise all good. Everyone happy and enjoying themselves.

Engine problems caused Pacific Sun to anchor off Noumeaand unable to dock at the wharf. Tender services commenced before 9:00am. Pacific Sun is intending on sailing at 7:00pm to continue the voyage as per its normal itinerary.

Regards :eek:

I've just developed an interesting theory: :D

The ships only experience mechanical trouble when they are not cruising from their home port.

Pretty much all of Pacific Sky's problems occured when it was either in NZ, or in Brisbane - not in it's original home port of Sydney. In fact correct me if I'm wrong but nothing went majorly wrong (mechanically) when it was in Sydney at all.

All of Pacific Star's problems, the damage from the storm and the mechanical breakdown, happened in Auckland not it's original home port of Brisbane.

Now, Pacific Sun has left it's home port and has had trouble with the stabilisers..and the cracked head it had the other week was on it's last cruise before leaving for NZ (I think, from memory)

So going by this theory (which I admit is dodgy - but most of my theories are ;) ) everything will be alright again once she comes 'home' - especially since she's going into drydock then too.

The ships only experience mechanical trouble when they are not cruising from their home port.

Pretty much all of Pacific Sky's problems occured when it was either in NZ, or in Brisbane - not in it's original home port of Sydney. In fact correct me if I'm wrong but nothing went majorly wrong (mechanically) when it was in Sydney at all.

All of Pacific Star's problems, the damage from the storm and the mechanical breakdown, happened in Auckland not it's original home port of Brisbane.

Now, Pacific Sun has left it's home port and has had trouble with the stabilisers..and the cracked head it had the other week was on it's last cruise before leaving for NZ (I think, from memory)

So going by this theory (which I admit is dodgy - but most of my theories are ;) ) everything will be alright again once she comes 'home' - especially since she's going into drydock then too.

Very interesting Martin:rolleyes: . At least we now all know what to look for when booking a cruise:p . DO NOT book a cruise on a ship that is not leaving from her own port;)

The other common thread is the word "Brisbane", and they wont build another cruise terminal up there either! Am I on to something ?

Re Pacific Sun - Noumea:

Damage to stabiliser about 2.30am. Damn French keyboard. Letter keys all in the wrong places. Cant touch type. Grrr....

Delayed into port. Ashore by tender in fairly rough seas. Late departure. Otherwise all good. Everyone happy and enjoying themselves.

are you and cruise boy both on the same cruise , you both posted at almost the same time.

Thanks for the info on the pacific sun

are you and cruise boy both on the same cruise , you both posted at almost the same time.

Thanks for the info on the pacific sun

Nuh i'm not onboard that cruise, but i know Pacific Dawn and Pacific Sun inside out :)

Does anyone know if they've fixed the problem with the stabaliser/ Engine?

We fly to Auckland on Sunday. We sail Wednesday. Is it likely to affect us?

Well the webcam says they are on their way to pentecost so i guess they are ok:D

This is how it goes .................... all around round the world, then .... America

then any one else in the world then ...... Australia !!, wow we R lucky.. then Sydney .... when its totally %^%&&*ED, Brisbane .. then ... Pulamentor ,, then the Breakers.. Why dont someone from the USA cruise line get it !! bring a Freedom of The Seas out to Australia ( anywhere) for a good deal P $ O are finished... we have been the second cousin for too long lets show them we are the future !!! just an opinion ... chop

This is how it goes .................... all around round the world, then .... America

then any one else in the world then ...... Australia !!, wow we R lucky.. then Sydney .... when its totally %^%&&*ED, Brisbane .. then ... Pulamentor ,, then the Breakers.. Why dont someone from the USA cruise line get it !! bring a Freedom of The Seas out to Australia ( anywhere) for a good deal P $ O are finished... we have been the second cousin for too long lets show them we are the future !!! just an opinion ... chop

While I agree with your sentiments for modern ships instead of cast-offs, we do not have the port facilities in Oz and the South Pacific to be a host to Freedom of the Seas. Would love to see her or a Genesis ship here, but that is why RCCL sends Rhapsody, a size suited to our ports and passenger numbers.

Onboard? Yes, or was until 10.00am this morning when we disembarked in Auckland. The problems were fixed same day with no delays. They never were very clear about exactly what the problems were. Also mentioned were a governer replacement, drive shaft issues, etc.

All summed up with the 'mind your own business' phrase, "We experienced technical difficulties and judged it prudent not to dock at this time." There were dozens of theories onboard including hitting a WW2 mine, and a 'whale strike' (like a bird strike only bigger and wetter...) All anyone really knew was that a few people heard/felt a loud noise and the ship started shuddering about 2.40am.

I happened to be outside the bridge at the time, watching the satellite tracking display. There was a weird oscillation effect for a few minutes and the ship shed about 10 knots of speed in a couple of minutes. There was no further indication of problems for the rest of the cruise.

Beautiful ship.

Some 5m waves for a few hours during the trip back down to Auckland. Bothered a few folk, but not too bad. I personally happen to like the rougher weather (not being very susceptable to S/sickness). Loved being up on the bridge deck, being blasted by the wind and riding the deck. Just like snowboarding. Great sleeping too. Feels like being back in a giant cradle.

Depending where you are in the ship, you get this 'speedbump' thump every so often during rougher weather. I'm told it is the hydraulic stabilizer arms jumping back into place when lifted by a big wave etc.

Archived