Onboard Lecture Series On Hal?

mikjr

I am wondering what type, if any, "Enrichment Lectures" (Princess term) they might have on a 30 day cruise. Since we're cruising to the Hawaiian and Tahitian islands, i'm assuming there will be the usual "port and destination" lectures... BUT, how about anything else?

I have personally lectured on cruises on Antiques... and have been on cruises where they have had lectures on "Handwriting Analysis" and a Psycologist from Beverly Hills spoke on Dr. Phil type subjects.

So... I'm just wondering what type of offerings HAL might present.

thanks

"Exploration" Lectures . . . why not ask Holland America? Like many programs on board, their continuance depends on guest interest . . . not enough interest, and in this market with fuel costs so high . . . it's gone. So if it's something you enjoy, it never hurts to rattle the home office cage and ask questions.

Regards, Richard

On our recent Hawaii cruise, they had several different guest speakers, and Kainoa, a native Hawaiian.

The lectures were not "port lectures", and they were actually very good. Info about all the Islands, how they were formed, past cultures, basically alot of good info.

We enjoyed them.

Pat

Hi Mike: The last cruise we had an astronomer, an oceanographer, several professors who spoke of the history of the islands, their peoples and creeds. Also every morning was a coffee chat with these same lecturers, staff, officers and entertainers. There was some sort of lecture twice every sea day and we found them both entertaining and educational. We even had a lecture about pirates and houses of ill repute.

Hello All-

How do you apply to be a lecturer?

Are you compensated or any ship board perks?

Thank you.

:)

I had a professor in college who did cruise lectures, and we had a couple meals with the naturalist who sailed on our (Princess) Alaska cruise last year--they both have agents who do their bookings. I know I've seen many threads around Cruise Critic on this subject--mainly in the more general threads, like "ask a cruise question" so you might try looking there for more details.

Mainly--you have to have experience that the cruise lines want:p

SeaVoyage . . . I'd start, as I did, with www.sixthstar.com/index.php -they book all kinds of "service staff" (bridge, lecturers, clergy mostly catholic, cartoonists) for a lot of the cruise lines. Their Web site is very informative as to what is required and how it works. If you go to "About Us" on HAL site, then click jobs, and keep drilling down you will come to the info for HAL specifically.

Regards, Richard

Archived