Seeking the knowledge of board members for Agadir Morocco

Tinwoman

Hi all! We will be stopping at Agadir, Morocco on a transatlantic this fall.

I am having real difficulty finding guides and day tour operators.

would you please send your good experiences with guides and/or tour operators to tinwoman33333@yahoo.com . I really need the wealth of knowledge from the patrons of this board :)

Also we are to ole ladies do you think we will have problems if going out on our own with a local guide?

Hi all! We will be stopping at Agadir, Morocco on a transatlantic this fall.

I am having real difficulty finding guides and day tour operators.

would you please send your good experiences with guides and/or tour operators to tinwoman33333@yahoo.com . I really need the wealth of knowledge from the patrons of this board :)

Also we are to ole ladies do you think we will have problems if going out on our own with a local guide?

Have a look at the the thread "Info in Agadir, please", which is about 5 or 6 threads under this one, lot of useful information there.

Why should CC member email you, the reason for such forums as CC is the disemination of information that will be available to a broad public.

Ron

Have a look at the the thread "Info in Agadir, please", which is about 5 or 6 threads under this one, lot of useful information there.

Why should CC member email you, the reason for such forums as CC is the disemination of information that will be available to a broad public.

Ron

It saids at the top of the forum all information for tour guides must be in direct response to a direct request.

Ron

Are you having a bad day or something, relax, things:) will work out for me no matter what I post or other ppl post. Pax.

The problem in Morocco seems to be that the government of Morocco is very strict that the tour guides be all licenced by them. There have been some "stories" on here, though I have no way to know if they are absolutely true or not, that tourists with guides have been stopped and if the guide does not have an official licence he can be made to go to the local police station and fined which could mean that the tourists might not get back to their ship before sailing. So these are the "warnings", but again, I have seen no copied news stories or other proof.

Those "stories" are not true. The law says that if someone is acting as a guide without a licence and is caught operating without one by the tourist police, he will be fined on the spot. He and the tourists will not be taken anywhere. (I have just gone for a few tests to join the Police Academy [police officer position], and we were given similar questions in the written exam).

And this case never happened here in Agadir, not even being stopped to be fined. Tourist police focus more on people who bother tourists trying to sell them things on the streets, hassle them, etc...

Thank you, Moraccanguy! That should help relieve some fears about tour companies and guides in Morocco that are recommended by fellow travelers here on Cruise Critic. I know it does for me, as I just didn't want to spend precious touring hours at a police station, with a possibly unlicenced guide, risking not making it back to my ship on time. Sure, none of us can plan for every eventuality while traveling, but having even one less thing to worry about is a big relief! :)

Those "stories" are not true. The law says that if someone is acting as a guide without a licence and is caught operating without one by the tourist police, he will be fined on the spot. He and the tourists will not be taken anywhere. (I have just gone for a few tests to join the Police Academy [police officer position], and we were given similar questions in the written exam).

And this case never happened here in Agadir, not even being stopped to be fined. Tourist police focus more on people who bother tourists trying to sell them things on the streets, hassle them, etc...

Thank you Morocanguy!

I always try to respect the county I visit and honor the local customs.

It is scary when somebody saids that you can be arrested by being with a unlicensed tour guide and really being a visitor to a forgiven country how do you know if the license is is real or fake.

I want to enjoy the culture of Morocco, but I want to do it legality.:)

By the way congratulations on the Police Academy, I was a police detective for 15 years, not an easy job. I wish you all the best.

You are all most welcome.

And thank you Shirley for your kind wishes. :) I am still awaiting the results of the tests though, but shouldn't be long before I'm notified.

If you have any further questions regarding Agadir, Taroudant or Morocco in general, feel free to ask.

Have a great time in Morocco.

Archived