The Golden Princess is Beautiful

CrusinElf

This thread tickles my funny bone just a bit since this class of ships were very dubiously received, often being called ugly or described as shopping carts!!:p That said, my favorite cruise of all time was on the Golden (transatlantic fall 02) and I can mirror Chris' comment that she is even more beautiful inside.

I can recall when sailing the Golden in 02 that I had the vague impression that she was much prettier and more nicely finished off, especially in the Atrium than her sister Grand. Having just sailed on the Grand in May refreshed my memory: these sisters are very different in the atrium (the actual layout on the higher decks also varies with positions of the Grand Suite(and the amenities of that room) as well as location of the kids area etc) with the interior finish on the Grand almost crude in comparison, while the Golden is elegent and beautiful.

You can't go wrong in my opinion - though beware Princess offers cut rate fares to resident Puerto Ricans to fill these cruises which can have a significant impact on the overall cuise experience!

CruisiChris,

I also love the Golden. Sailed on her in January and leaving Saturday to sail the southern Caribbean. Also sailed on the Grand and was not as impressed. I assumed I was imaging it and couldn't put my finger on the differences. Thanks for being so observant and noticing and pointing them out. Now I know I'm not delusional.

Sharon

We liked the ports very much. On Dominica we messed up and didn't do anything. We heard later that we should have done the interior tour or even the tubing down the river tour. We were told it was very nice. St. Kitts we did the Nevis Sail Away and I can't begin to say how nice that was. The crew was attentive, fun, and accomodating. Great trip! Isla Margarita had cute shops right off the ship, but we weren't there long enough to do anything. St Thomas - YOU JUST HAVE TO SHOP. Went to Megans Bay and to St John's before and both are very nice day trips.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree - you can't go wrong on the Golden. We were on the Grand last year, and while I didn't have a bad time, just found something was off. I figured it was because it was the last voyage for the staff before their contracts were up - they were antsy to get home. But after cruising on the Golden this year, found an entirely different atmosphere - it was wonderful. The staff was actually laughing, cheerful, and willing to help you in any way possible. The salsa music that was played constantly, however.....well, we won't even go there!! ; )

I have to admit the Golden/Grand are my least favorite Princess ships. It's just a personal preference, I guess, but I did not like the layout of the ship at all. It's a good thing they make several different kinds of ship to please different kinds of people! :rolleyes:

My wife and I just today booked the Golden for the May 1st, San Juan to New York cruise. We have sailed twice on the Grand and are looking forward to this cruise. I am sure you will have a wonderful time on the Golden Princess.

• 1 month later...
I will also be a first time cruiser on the Golden in Jan 2006. Can't wait except for what I am reading about Caracas/ La Guaira.:eek:

Maybe an excuse to spend the day on ship?!

PLease keep posting about the ship, good and bad!

When are you cruising? We are cruising the Jan 28th sailing of So. Caribbean from San Juan. Do you have any suggestions/recommendations on balcony stateroom choices? We are trying to pick our cabins. Does everyone recommend port side? What side are sunsets usually on?

Archived