5400 Pax on RCI new ships - Unbelievable

gizmo

I just read this in a new letter I receive.

At 220,000 gross registered tons, the Oasis of the Seas (debuting in late 2009) and Allure of the Seas (debuting in 2010), will be significantly larger than the Freedom-class ships (160,000 tons), feature 16 decks, 2,700 staterooms and a previously unimaginable passenger capacity of 5,400 guests.

I would hate to be in port with either of these ships !! :eek:

Can't imagine going on vacation with 5,399 of my closest friends. What a pain! Can you imagine the lido on embarkation day.

The biggest ship I was ever on was 110,000 tons. It was miserable. Lines everywhere you looked. I swore I would never sail on a vessel that large again.:eek: :eek: :eek:

We thought the QM2 was huge at 157,000 tons and 2,800 passengers.

On our last cruise, CD Jason said about Genesis, you can get on at one end of the ship in Ft. Lauderdale, and get off the other end in the Bahamas . . .:eek:

I couple of years ago my wife and I took the Princess Grand in the Baltic Sea. With about 2600 passengers, going through Russian immigration in St. Petersburgh was chaos. Then and there we knew that big ships are not for us.

Padraic

Not to play Devil's advocate, but more of a comment...

I sailed on the Freedom-class Liberty of the Seas last September, and to be honest I was a little concerned at its size. I've previously sailed on ships anywhere from 700-1800 passengers, so its not that I'm unaware of what a small ship is like.

Our cruise was basically at capacity, and I honestly found I rarely ever had to stand in line for anything - in fact, I would say I spent much longer standing in line on our Westerdam cruise in 2006. I'm not sure exactly how that works; however, I have repeatedly read the same thing on the RCCL boards - that there were surprised the ship never felt "crowded" with all those people.

My theory is that because RCCL attracts a large range of cruisers that people are always spread out about the VERY large ship doing their own thing, and there are so many things to do that no one thing gets particularly crowded.

Now, the Genesis-class ships are MUCH bigger again than the Freedom class, and I will be curious to see what the feedback is from cruisers regarding issues faced with so many passengers aboard such a large ship. Although I didn't LOVE our experience on the Liberty (for other reasons), I won't dismiss the possibility of sailing on Oasis or Allure quite yet.

Having this beast in port is like having three Vista class ships in port at the same time ... just pray you're not on another ship at that port. RCL seems to have a firm grip on design, setting up several unique onboard "neighborhoods" (so far they've announced a "central park" ... you can get balconies overlooking the park rather than looking out to sea!) ... so while onboard, it may not feel quite that large and not too crowded ... but I would hate to be in port at the same time as this ship ... or worse, if both the one being constructed now and it's upcoming sister ship were in the same port at one time!

To help give an idea of size, here's a comparison to the Eurodam:

Tonnage ... Eurodam: 86,700 GRT ... Oasis of the Seas: 220,000 GRT

Length ... Eurodam: 935 feet ... Oasis of the Seas: 1,181 feet

Beam at waterline (width) ... Eurodam: 105.8 feet ... Oasis of the Seas: 154 feet

Capacity (two per cabin) ... Eurodam: 2,104 ... Oasis of the Seas: 5,400

Passenger decks ... Eurodam: 11 ... Oasis of the Seas: 16

Speed ... Eurodam: 22 knots ... Oasis of the Seas: 20 knots

Some press releases: http://www.royalcaribbean-genesis.com/releases/Genesis_Fast_Facts.pdf and http://www.royalcaribbean-genesis.com/releases/052308_Oasis_of_the_Seas.pdf

Our cruise was basically at capacity, and I honestly found I rarely ever had to stand in line for anything - in fact, I would say I spent much longer standing in line on our Westerdam cruise in 2006. I'm not sure exactly how that works; however, I have repeatedly read the same thing on the RCCL boards - that there were surprised the ship never felt "crowded" with all those people.

But what about when you got to port?

I was just on the Oosterdam last month, and when we got to Juneau after 42 hours at sea, everyone wanted to get off immediately. It was crazy for the first hour. Fortunately my tour wasn't until 12:30 (we docked at 11) and I had a view of the gangway from my balcony so I didn't even head down until the crowd calmed down.

Length ... Eurodam: 935 feet ... Oasis of the Seas: 1,181 feet

Beam at waterline (width) ... Eurodam: 105.8 feet ... Oasis of the Seas: 154 feet

This puppy won't be going through the Panama Canal for a while.

I just read this in a new letter I receive.

At 220,000 gross registered tons, the Oasis of the Seas (debuting in late 2009) and Allure of the Seas (debuting in 2010), will be significantly larger than the Freedom-class ships (160,000 tons), feature 16 decks, 2,700 staterooms and a previously unimaginable passenger capacity of 5,400 guests.

I would hate to be in port with either of these ships !! :eek:

Can you just imagine the tender lines in Grand Cayman !!!!!!!!

Rich :cool: :cool:

I would like to see what one of these big ships is like, not sure I want to travel on one. Just curious I guess.

FYI: I just came accross their official site: http://www.royalcaribbean-genesis.com/main.html has some computer generated images of how it's intended to look.

While some of the features look interresting, I hope the market never supports HAL doing something comparable.

To All,

I too received this info on the new Royal Caribbean's revolutionary Oasis-class ships (from Vacations To Go) and my mind raced with the very same comments/questions that are posted here. It is reassuring to be part of a forum where strangers can answer/comment on a subject and be almost identical to what my answer/comment would be. DW and I love HAL, but this size ship does nothing for us. Tendering, Lido. Pool, AYWD and balconies facing inward, not much privacy. Wow!

Dave

The Panama Canal is being widened to 180 feet, so the new ships will be able to navigate it when the project is completed in 2015:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Canal_expansion_project

There is a nice table towards the bottom of this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-Panamax comparing Panamax and post-Panamax ship sizes.

I agree 5400 on a ship is a bad idea for lots of other reasons!

Hi,

We sailed on one of RCL larger ships this past March.

It had 3,000 PAX. To us there were too many people on board. I think the food was not as good because they had a lot ot people to feed. We had a nice time but would not do it again on a large ship.

Maria

EEK! :eek: No thanks.

We were just on Caribbean Princess 113000 tons, 3150 pax last month, and talk about CROWDS! It was a beautiful ship, absolutely, but it was a little too big, and it was WAY too crowded for me.:(

I can't even imagine cruising on a ship TWICE that size!:eek:

Archived