Visiting Turkety, but my passport....

I'm looking at a cruise that includes tow stops in Turkey, one in Istanbul and one in Ephesus.

My travel agent and the cruise lines tells me that I do not need a visa.

I have a Canadian passport which will be valid for four to five months when I travel, will I have a problem since my passport won't be valid for six months?

What experiences have members on this forum had when visiting Turkey?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't visited Turkey, but if it were me I would renew my passport early as many countries require a 6 month validity period after your return date.

Do you have the time to do this? You wouldn't lose out on time either I don't think, as I am pretty sure the passport office will add the time left + the 10 years to your new passport.

It is true you won't need a visa for a short visit via cruise ship.

I was just looking over my documents for my upcoming eastern med cruise and you do not need a Visa. It clearly states that "Currently U.S., Canadian, and European Community passport holders do not require a Schengen Visa."

I'm looking at a cruise that includes tow stops in Turkey, one in Istanbul and one in Ephesus.

I have a Canadian passport which will be valid for four to five months when I travel, will I have a problem since my passport won't be valid for six months?

Thanks in advance.

I've always understood that your passport has to remain valid for a minimum of 6 months upon conclusion of the trip.

FYI, we dropped our passport applications off (renewals) at our local passport office (Hamilton, Ontario), and the new passports were sent to us by Purolator in less than 10 days. AND we didn't pay for priority service! We were very impressed.

I don't know how far away your trip is, but you'd probably have time to renew your passport.

Thanks in advance.

You do not need a visa if you do not fly into or out of Turkey

I agree with the others get a new passport now. They have the new renewable applications now and it takes less time to get one

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/form/index.aspx?lang=eng

If you need it soon then take it to one of the Service centres.

Do you have the time to do this? You wouldn't lose out on time either I don't think, as I am pretty sure the passport office will add the time left + the 10 years to your new passport.

In Canada they are only valid for 5 years (really 4 1/2 with the 6 mth rule)

We must turn in our old one and no credit for months still available.:(

Thanks for the feedback, I will not be able to renew the passport at present, I will be in and out of the country until September, I was hoping on travelling on the cruise in October.

This doesn't look good.

Thanks for the feedback, I will not be able to renew the passport at present, I will be in and out of the country until September, I was hoping on travelling on the cruise in October.

This doesn't look good.

You could probably get the passport in a week if you took the forms to their office.

My neighbour took hers in 3 weeks ago and picked it up a week later just be sure to tell them you are leaving soon!!!

I think you had better be safe than sorry. In the US your passport must be valid for six months after your return date. They check this carefully when you check in for your flight. They will not allow you to leave the country if your passport is not valid for that time. I am not sure of Canadian offices, but in the US if you go to the passport office, you usually can get it that day. Good luck.

Archived