family suite on Explorer of the Seas...any info?

sluggo

I've been searching around the normal RCCL boards for info, and until yesterday I didn't know this board existed:o

Quick intro, sailing March 2009 - our 4th cruise but the kids first (and our first on Royal Caribbean). When we sail the kids will be 17, 15, 12, 9, and 2 1/2 :eek: We picked the family suite over anything on Carnival because we feel more comfortable having the kids near us instead of separate rooms. Does anyone have any experience with this type of cabin? Wife and I have had balconies before but this will be the first suite.

...and are we crazy for taking 5 kids with us? Figured the older ones will be on their own, middle ones will be at the kids progam at times - just leaves the monster...I mean baby...to contend with:p

I think you guys will have a great time. We had the family suite on the Explorer OTS for our family of six a few years back. Our family situation was very different however, as we had me, DW, our two little kids and my parents (i.e. the grandparents).

FWIW, we've since found that booking 3 staterooms (2 connecting, and another nearby) overall works much better for us because three staterooms have the following pros and cons over the single family suite:

+ more total usable space

+ additional bathroom

+ more cost-effective (lower stateroom fares, better book onboard or NextCruise OBCs)

+ more privacy

- no concierge lounge access

- no additional C&A cruise credit

For you to do the same with your five kids, you'd probably put your teenagers in a nearby room, and then mom/dad would have a connecting room next to the three youngest. Whatever you decide to do, have fun! :)

I did not even know there was any cabin that would allow seven people.

Actually, Voyager and Freedom-class ships' Family Suites hold up to eight people. And each Freedom class ship has a Presidential Suite that accommodates up to 14 people! It's basically a 1,215 sq ft 4-bedroom condo with a balcony that covers half of the aft!!! :D

Archived