Comfort Food

MikeT718

I know I mentioned this in my review of the Volendam Alaskan Cruise....But I was wondering what ever happened to the Confort Food from the Daily Menu... I know it was there on my last 2 cruises ( on the O-Dam and the Zandam)....Like the Meat Loaf and Turkey....I really missed the Meat Loaf on this last cruise....I fell HAL should bring it back it was a nice touch

The menus changed over a year ago -- we haven't seen "Comfort Food" on the menus starting with Maasdam (March/April 2007); Maasdam (Aug 2007); Ryndam (Nov/Dec 2007); Veendam (March 2008) and Westerdam (April/May 2008)

Meatloaf -- hate it and glad that HAL dropped it from the menu. JMO

I know I mentioned this in my review of the Volendam Alaskan Cruise....But I was wondering what ever happened to the Confort Food from the Daily Menu... I know it was there on my last 2 cruises ( on the O-Dam and the Zandam)....Like the Meat Loaf and Turkey....I really missed the Meat Loaf on this last cruise....I fell HAL should bring it back it was a nice touch

My only guess is that not enough people were choosing it. Before I became a veggie, I would never order Meat Loaf at a restaurant....I make that at home. I want to order things I don't make at home.

I had turkey on the Oosterdam in December. If that was "comfort food," then I was not comforted. It was dry and tasteless. Soooo, under the circumstances, I hope they have done away with it:o .

I also would not order meatloaf on board. Like vbmom87, I want to enjoy things we don't fix at home.

Absolutly! We don't have lamb here in South Texas, but I discovered it is very good if properly prepared. I love trying new foods. :D but I have sometimes been disappointed :eek: On a ship I can keep ordering until they bring something I like. :cool:

(I've never sent anything back yet!)

We had both meat Loaf (Fair at best) and Turkey from processed breasts or rolls dependant on when and where it was served on a regular basis aboard Prinsendam on the 73 day African cruise. I used to really enjoy the roasted turkey when they used whole turkeys. The dressing is still good....Chef Pedro made us some really good baked Mac&Cheese one night when one of us had made a request a couple of days in advance.....In general, the food aboard the Prinsendam on our cruise around Africa was great !!!....The service in all areas was as good or better than any of our HAL cruises.(30)....Frits Ghering has really built up a great team in all areas, house keeping food and beverage you name it and Prinsendam has it......!:)

If I recall there were several posts complaining about the meatloaf along the lines of what's next, " beans and franks"? I also think a few posted their own recipes for meat loaf, at the time.

More so than posts on this board or even comment cards, food is easy to figure out. HAL knows exactly what passengers order and pass on and is more likely to use this as their guide.

Let me tell you about comfort food !!!

On the NCL Majesty two weeks ago out to Bermuda and back we had bologna sandwiches and cold baked beans on the buffet.

I kid you not!

Boy, did that cruise make me appreciate HAL !!!

I am glad to see some of the Comfort Food gone.

I never considered the turkey comfort food, since it was on the menu long before the comfort foods appeared. I had it once, never again. It was that processed stuff and horrible. Those old frozen TV dinners were better. :rolleyes:

On my last cruise, there was a night that nothing appealed to me or Mr.Gizmo. We were considering eating club sandwiches in our cabin, but decided to go to the dining room anyway. We ordered the mac and cheese. I have to admit it was very good, but I can get mac and cheese and meat loaf anytime.

I do not think comfort food belongs on 7 - 15 day cruises.

Let me tell you about comfort food !!!

On the NCL Majesty two weeks ago out to Bermuda and back we had bologna sandwiches and cold baked beans on the buffet.

I kid you not!

Boy, did that cruise make me appreciate HAL !!!

UGH!! - just one more reason why we won't go back to NCL.

I had some really great turkey on the Zaandam in March, this year. None of that chopped and formed stuff. It was 3 nice breast slices, served with an excellent stuffing and very good homemade gravy. Seven out of eight at our table ordered it, and that eighth one wished she had.

I had some really great turkey on the Zaandam in March, this year. None of that chopped and formed stuff. It was 3 nice breast slices, served with an excellent stuffing and very good homemade gravy. Seven out of eight at our table ordered it, and that eighth one wished she had.

yes, we had that turkey on the Zaandam 3 years ago...that was our first HAL cruise and set the tone for dining...comfort food and all. We were told by our waiter that the chef was a new hire on the Volendam. Now, this might mean that he was just promoted from within or really new. In any case, the food was good, but not stupendous as it had been for the most part on the Zaandam. Maybe we have come to expect 5 star each and every meal (HAL has a way of spoiling people)...but we continue to book HAL and are very loyal to them.

I am glad to see some of the Comfort Food gone.

I never considered the turkey comfort food, since it was on the menu long before the comfort foods appeared. I had it once, never again. It was that processed stuff and horrible. Those old frozen TV dinners were better. :rolleyes:

On my last cruise, there was a night that nothing appealed to me or Mr.Gizmo. We were considering eating club sandwiches in our cabin, but decided to go to the dining room anyway. We ordered the mac and cheese. I have to admit it was very good, but I can get mac and cheese and meat loaf anytime.

I do not think comfort food belongs on 7 - 15 day cruises.

:) Right on.....The length of the cruise makes all the difference....We find that on cruises of 21 or more days, We appreciate a little comfort food. After about 35 days, the thought of an "in and out cheeseburger" drives me nuts. I would even settle for a "Big Mac"....

Archived