Words cannot describe...

covegirl51

the majesty of the inside passage and Glacier Bay in Alaska.

I was worried before we left that I had overdosed on pictures of our pending Alaska trip and the actual visit would be anti-climactic. I was wrong. There are no words to describe the sheer magnificence and overwhelming peacefulness and solitude as the ship glides along amidst the mountains and glaciers. It was literally breathtaking!

There is one thing I cannot stress strongly enough. GO OUTSIDE!! Particularly on the bow. Watching from the Crow's nest is spectacular, but it's like watching a movie. Step out onto the bow, and the sensation is amazing. All your senses are engaged and you're now "seeing" this splendor with all five of your senses (I'm thinking even your sixth sense comes into play at times). You can hear the ice crack, feel the cool air, listen to the silence, smell the freshness. It's so tranquil. People didn’t even talk in deference to the majestic surroundings. We were definitely awestruck.

I'm trying my best to describe this, but it really is beyond description, it's something you have to feel.

I'm so glad we didn't get a balcony. That may seem contrary to what I'm saying about the scenery, but there are two reasons why that's so. One is that the absolute best place to be as often as you can is on the bow (or the navigation deck at the stern). That's the only spot where you get the 360 degree (well, maybe 270 degree) impact. Being surrounded is part of the experience. Don't get me wrong, I spent lots of time in the deck chairs on the promenade deck too, but nothing beats the bow, especially as you’re entering Glacier Bay.

Second reason is that we did some mind-blowing excursions for the cost of the balcony. Number one, not to be missed, is a helicopter in Juneau. I don't care which helicopter, just get yourself on a helicopter and land on a glacier - any glacier. It's nothing like an airplane of any kind. Again, words fail me. It's beyond description.

For our trip, a balcony would have been an additional $2,000. We had a great window for the half-hour morning and half-hour evening that we were in the cabin. Most of the rest of the time we were on deck or on an excursion, so I'm glad we chose the window. Some might say we would have used the balcony if we'd had one, but I know we wouldn't have, because I kept bopping back and forth between my favorite viewing spots. Things were ever changing. This, of course, is subjective. I'd feel bad about wasting $2000 on a balcony when we weren't using it, or I’d feel confined by staying on the balcony I’d paid so much for. However, if I had unlimited funds and could have it all, then of course I'd be thrilled to have a balcony for the times I was in the cabin.

Another magnificent excursion is the White Pass Rail train trip. And my advice, again, is to get your butt out to the platform behind the car - even for just a few minutes. Watching from inside is like seeing a movie. Being on the platform adds so much to the experience. I was on the platform for the entire trip. I was quick to step aside when others came out to view, but most people went back inside (I don’t get it). People always ask the best place to sit, and its on the left going up the mountain. If you’re doing round-trip they switch you going down. But, hey, if your seat isn’t the best, GET UP! It’s a train. You can move around. And for my money, the platform is the only place to be. I stood up the whole trip. And then we bicycled down. And I’m not in good shape by any means.

I don't think there will be any topping this trip. You'd have to be made of stone not to be moved by these awesome sights!

Did I mention how much we enjoyed our trip? :D

Bravo - very well said! I had read about people who were bored on the White Pass train and fell asleep. I also stood on the platform between the train cars, and you can't fall asleep out there! But bundle up - it gets cold.

The Park Rangers were giving a talk INSIDE the theater while we were still at Glacier Bay last June. I couldn't figure out why people were going there to hear about wildlife, instead of watching it while we were in Glacier Bay!

Bravo - very well said! I had read about people who were bored on the White Pass train and fell asleep. I also stood on the platform between the train cars, and you can't fall asleep out there! But bundle up - it gets cold.

The Park Rangers were giving a talk INSIDE the theater while we were still at Glacier Bay last June. I couldn't figure out why people were going there to hear about wildlife, instead of watching it while we were in Glacier Bay!

Actually, we would be guilty of that. We were in Glacier Bay ALL day-from about 8am to 8pm. We kind of got bored with the same scenery over and over (I don't mean that in a bad way-we're young and restless) Mind you, we stayed out for about five hours. It was very nice to go in and sit down and hear the park ranger explain a few things. We found it very interesting and complimentary to our scenic viewing. BTW, the only wildlife we saw was one Dall's porpoise. The captain clamed to see brown bears on shore, but we didn't.

Thank you for posting this wonderful review. I sent it off to the rest of my group. I am sure it will get everyone very excited about our impending cruise.

I know some don't find scenery that exciting. Everyone needs to find the kind of vacation that works for them. We love nature and are really looking forward to this trip. Thanks again for getting me all geeked. :D

I agree with you about getting outside on the bow when in Glacier Bay. When we were there last year I stayed out of our cabin almost all day. I had wanted a balcony so I could use it some in Glacier Bay but I couldn't stay away from the bow. I really didn't use the balcony that much. I enjoy one when I'm in the Caribbean but if we're a little short on vacation funds when going to Alaska I won't hesitate to give up a balcony. This year we got an oceanview since we are spending six days touring the interior of Alaska and taking many excursions. I don't think I'll regret not having the balcony. :)

"Mind you, we stayed out for about five hours. It was very nice to go in and sit down and hear the park ranger explain a few things. We found it very interesting and complimentary to our scenic viewing."

Lovesublime, you aren't "guilty" of being indoors with five hours outdoors under your belt! :) Indoors was great and as you say "complimentary" to the outdoor viewing experience. I just couldn't understand when people barely went outside at all.

cruisin' kayakers: the bike back was between an hour and 1-1/2 hrs I think. The time went very fast. It was downhill pretty much all the way. There was one challenging uphill section. I didn't quite make it completely and had to walk the bike the last few yards. I'm overweight and very out of shape, so it would be a piece of cake for anyone even marginally athletic. The only peddling I did was on the flat section at the end of the trip. Again, a bit challenging for me because my seat was slightly too low for peddling. But I made it the whole way. Really a very easy ride if you're comfortable with braking on a bicycle. I loved it.

And, yes, it was an excursion through HAL - combination White Pass Rail and Bike (rail up, bike down)

I mentioned a bit more about the bicycling in my other posting: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=787907

"Mind you, we stayed out for about five hours. It was very nice to go in and sit down and hear the park ranger explain a few things. We found it very interesting and complimentary to our scenic viewing."

Lovesublime, you aren't "guilty" of being indoors with five hours outdoors under your belt! :) Indoors was great and as you say "complimentary" to the outdoor viewing experience. I just couldn't understand when people barely went outside at all.

Thanks! We saw people in the bars at 9am on Glacier Bay day who were completely blitzed before the day had really even started. You've gotta wonder why they chose an Alaskan cruise :confused:

the majesty of the inside passage and Glacier Bay in Alaska.

I was worried before we left that I had overdosed on pictures of our pending Alaska trip and the actual visit would be anti-climactic. I was wrong. There are no words to describe the sheer magnificence and overwhelming peacefulness and solitude as the ship glides along amidst the mountains and glaciers. It was literally breathtaking!

There is one thing I cannot stress strongly enough. GO OUTSIDE!! Particularly on the bow. Watching from the Crow's nest is spectacular, but it's like watching a movie. Step out onto the bow, and the sensation is amazing. All your senses are engaged and you're now "seeing" this splendor with all five of your senses (I'm thinking even your sixth sense comes into play at times). You can hear the ice crack, feel the cool air, listen to the silence, smell the freshness. It's so tranquil. People didn’t even talk in deference to the majestic surroundings. We were definitely awestruck.

I'm trying my best to describe this, but it really is beyond description, it's something you have to feel.

I'm so glad we didn't get a balcony. That may seem contrary to what I'm saying about the scenery, but there are two reasons why that's so. One is that the absolute best place to be as often as you can is on the bow (or the navigation deck at the stern). That's the only spot where you get the 360 degree (well, maybe 270 degree) impact. Being surrounded is part of the experience. Don't get me wrong, I spent lots of time in the deck chairs on the promenade deck too, but nothing beats the bow, especially as you’re entering Glacier Bay.

Second reason is that we did some mind-blowing excursions for the cost of the balcony. Number one, not to be missed, is a helicopter in Juneau. I don't care which helicopter, just get yourself on a helicopter and land on a glacier - any glacier. It's nothing like an airplane of any kind. Again, words fail me. It's beyond description.

For our trip, a balcony would have been an additional $2,000. We had a great window for the half-hour morning and half-hour evening that we were in the cabin. Most of the rest of the time we were on deck or on an excursion, so I'm glad we chose the window. Some might say we would have used the balcony if we'd had one, but I know we wouldn't have, because I kept bopping back and forth between my favorite viewing spots. Things were ever changing. This, of course, is subjective. I'd feel bad about wasting $2000 on a balcony when we weren't using it, or I’d feel confined by staying on the balcony I’d paid so much for. However, if I had unlimited funds and could have it all, then of course I'd be thrilled to have a balcony for the times I was in the cabin.

Another magnificent excursion is the White Pass Rail train trip. And my advice, again, is to get your butt out to the platform behind the car - even for just a few minutes. Watching from inside is like seeing a movie. Being on the platform adds so much to the experience. I was on the platform for the entire trip. I was quick to step aside when others came out to view, but most people went back inside (I don’t get it). People always ask the best place to sit, and its on the left going up the mountain. If you’re doing round-trip they switch you going down. But, hey, if your seat isn’t the best, GET UP! It’s a train. You can move around. And for my money, the platform is the only place to be. I stood up the whole trip. And then we bicycled down. And I’m not in good shape by any means.

I don't think there will be any topping this trip. You'd have to be made of stone not to be moved by these awesome sights!

Did I mention how much we enjoyed our trip? :D

Glad to hear you had a wonderful cruise! That's why we've gone back 6 times! Each time we go, it's a little different and we see more and more of the beauty that Alaska has to offer. Our most recent cruise was our best as far as the weather went -- we had sunshine in every port including Glacier Bay.:) Any chance you'll be coming back to Alaska for another cruise?

Covegirl51, great review!! I loved every word. Shared most of it with my sister, except part about the balcony, since she got one, and I rather agree with you on the money involved, but I didn't want to "burst her bubble"...besides....I am right across the hallway from her in an inside, and hope to experience her balcony quite a bit!! Only a little over a year now....we are counting down!

Thanks for your review and so glad you had a great cruise. We are "Caribbean beach cruisers" but booked an AK B2B for next year just because I want to experience what everyone raves about before the prices skyrocket :eek: and my kids give me Grandbabies :p to babysit lol. I WAS starting to feel a bit apprehensive about the trip, tho.

We are BALCONY snobs and not scared to admit it. We have been always been in an aft wrap balcony. For the 1/2 of our cruise, that cabin wasn't available, so we are in an extended balcony cabin. 2/2 we got our aft wrap (same cabin we have been in 3x) Being in the wraparound, wouldn't we experience as much as being on the bow?

Welcome home!

Regarding balconies, they'd be great as long as you weren't sacrificing excursions or time on the bow because of them. If you can do it all, then by all means! And I expect that the aft wrap around would be fantastic. At least the balcony gets you outside where you can feel the surroundings.

I just found that watching from the side of the ship was beautiful until I went around to the front and was blown away! And there are definitely times along the route when a side view is fine. But keep checking because there are points where only the bow will do!

We'll definitely be back. Not sure when because there are other places we'd like to experience too. I don't see Alaska as a once-only cruise. Why would anyone think that? :)

Actually, we would be guilty of that. We were in Glacier Bay ALL day-from about 8am to 8pm. We kind of got bored with the same scenery over and over (I don't mean that in a bad way-we're young and restless) Mind you, we stayed out for about five hours. It was very nice to go in and sit down and hear the park ranger explain a few things. We found it very interesting and complimentary to our scenic viewing. BTW, the only wildlife we saw was one Dall's porpoise. The captain clamed to see brown bears on shore, but we didn't.

The Park Ranger presentation in the theater was the last thing they did before the ship left them. The talk was taped and shown repeatedly on the ship TV later. From those who did hear the presentation, the female ranger giving the talk did a poor job. I'm not sorry I skipped it.

Archived