Need advice Re: Self-tour Precruise from Seward

ludocdoc

I'm cruising Southbound from Seward on Sapphire Princess in August and managed to get a few extra days off. So.... I can get to AK 3 or 4 days early. Most of the threads here talk about cruise first. I'd be looking to end in Seward, and get on board!

I'm flying from East coast US, so I'll either get in really late at night (really Weds AM), or midday Weds. Ship leaves Saturday late. Guess I'll be tired the first day.

I can fly into Anc or connect to FAI. I'm willing to drive or train, but would appreciate advice on train connections or where to drop the car when it's time to embark. Looks like Denali by myself is doable with the long bus ride, and I see great things in Seward. I think I need some advice on mechaics and how not to bite off more than I can chew. I know this isn't going to be my only trip to Alaska....

If the timing fits, make sure you take the train from Anchorage to Seward. It's possibly one of the top five railway journeys in the world. Absolutely magnificent scenery, and plenty of opportunity to see wildlife.

Hi - Congrats on your new-found bonus days in Alaska. I'm sure you will have a great time.

With that said, you don't have too much time, and traveling around takes more time than you think. I would save Denali for a later day; you need at least 2 nights / 1 full day there to make it worthwhile.

Instead, focus on the Kenai Peninsula and Seward. You could fly into ANC and overnight there. Early Thursday am, take the train to Seward (http://www.akrr.com). It leaves around 7 and arrives around 11. Spend the day in Seward (http://www.seward.com); go kayaking, hike Exit Glacier, visit the Sea Life Center. On Friday, do an all day boat tour to the Northwestern Fjords to see the glacier calving and hopefully wildlife along the way. Saturday, finish up your sightseeing in Seward before boarding your ship.

Thanks for the assists thus far. I presume there are rental cars to be had easily in these places? I think I want to either drive to Denali for my whole time on land, then dump the car somewhere and train to the ship, or skip Denali and train to Seward, then pick up a car and tour there as per some advice above....

Oh and yes, I mean Seward... I got distracted when typing. though I could be persuaded to cancel X and go with Princess from Whittier, but the X trip is better for me...

Time to take a step back and do a little more reading and research. It feels like all of your plans are fluctuating. Now you are talking about changing cruises? :confused:

Cars can be rented, but they are expensive, and there are high one-way drop off fees. If you visit Seward and travel by train, you can avoid the rental car. You don't need a car in Seward at all.

If $ is no object, then that gives you more options, but time is still the premium.

Maybe read some past posts here, and check a major travel book like Fodor's or Frommers. That may help put your options in perspective.

I'm cruising Southbound from Seward on Sapphire Princess in August and managed to get a few extra days off. So.... I can get to AK 3 or 4 days early. Most of the threads here talk about cruise first. I'd be looking to end in Seward, and get on board!

Sapphire Princess and all Princess ships for that matter depart from Whittier, none at Seward.

I suggest you get your ship booked first, then look at the rest. If you "get in mid day Wed. and sail on a Sat. you do not have enough time for Denali park. Plan on Seward with getting there by train. You don't need a car. IF You sail out of Whittier- which as already mentioned, is Princess. Then you need to decide if a costly one way Avis rental car is an option for your if you want to still consider Seward??

Just asking- BUT, are you actually booking flights?? Or. by chance nonrev?

I suggest you get your ship booked first, then look at the rest. If you "get in mid day Wed. and sail on a Sat. you do not have enough time for Denali park. Plan on Seward with getting there by train. You don't need a car. IF You sail out of Whittier- which as already mentioned, is Princess. Then you need to decide if a costly one way Avis rental car is an option for your if you want to still consider Seward??

Just asking- BUT, are you actually booking flights?? Or. by chance nonrev?

Much confusion.. sorry to generate it. The cruise on hold is X, Seward, but it leaves Friday, and I was toying with the idea of Princess, which leaves Saturday -- an extra day in Alaska, but one less port. I have till midnight to decide! While most of my big vacations are planned a year in advance, this one is me taking a last minute opportunity and getting out of dodge.

If I'm set on visiting Seward and the parks around it, do I really not need a car at all? There are a bunch of land itin reports on this board of people driving around. I'm a national park junkie. Money isn't exactly no object, but an extra $200 to rent a car won't kill me.

Much confusion.. sorry to generate it. The cruise on hold is X, Seward, but it leaves Friday, and I was toying with the idea of Princess, which leaves Saturday -- an extra day in Alaska, but one less port. I have till midnight to decide! While most of my big vacations are planned a year in advance, this one is me taking a last minute opportunity and getting out of dodge.

If I'm set on visiting Seward and the parks around it, do I really not need a car at all? There are a bunch of land itin reports on this board of people driving around. I'm a national park junkie. Money isn't exactly no object, but an extra $200 to rent a car won't kill me.

Here are things you can do in Seward...all walking distance or a shuttle:

Kenjai Fjords National Park Boat Tour.

Of course if you want to rent a car, that is your choice. Hertz is the only rental available in Seward.

http://www.kenaifjords.com/543.cfm

Just avoid the shorter trip that just stays in Resurrection Bay.

Sealife Center:

http://www.alaskasealife.org/

Many like the optional tours you can sign up for here.

Exit Glacier:

http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier.htm

You can catch a shuttle in town to take you to the glacier

dog cart tour:

http://www.ididaride.com/tours/sewar...edRideTour.htm

They will pick you up in town

dog sled tour:

http://www.alaskadogsled.com/

Supposedly this is the least cancelled dog sled tour in Alaska. They also will pick you up in town.

If you wish to rent a car, that is your choice. Hertz is the only car rental in Seward.

If Princess has one less port, does it have one more glacier viewing day?

If Princess has one less port, does it have one more glacier viewing day?

Looks that way. One less port, but they do the College Fjord, which X does not. X gets you an extra port at Icy Strait. I'm worried with 3 sea days I'll get a bit stir crazy. I fully expect to be back in AK, maybe not another cruise, but life is long.... So I dn't mind missing College Fjord (or Tracy Arm, which only Regency does in the time I can go.... )

Looks that way. One less port, but they do the College Fjord, which X does not. X gets you an extra port at Icy Strait. I'm worried with 3 sea days I'll get a bit stir crazy. I fully expect to be back in AK, maybe not another cruise, but life is long.... So I dn't mind missing College Fjord (or Tracy Arm, which only Regency does in the time I can go.... )

Some prefer glacier days, some prefer an extra port. It is important to do the kind of vacation you want. I am sure you will have a great trip!!!

Archived