Lounge chair hogs

There does not seem to be the as many complaints about lounge chair hogs on the colder alaskan cruises. I posted my hope for them on another cruiseline's thread. Here is my universal wish for all long-term chair hogs with their towels and books:mad: May the upgrade fairy :p disappear and may all their cabin gaurantees be under or over the disco and by the docking turbo jets.

I just returned from a trip on Norwegian Spirit, my first cruise in several years. Instead of bins of towels at the pool area, we were each provided with a big blue striped beach towel in our cabin upon arrival, with a note informing us that they are for use around the pools or wherever, and we could have clean replacements whenever needed (to be indicated by leaving the used ones on the floor of the bathroom). However, we were responsible for them, and at the end of the cruise if there are not as many beach towels left in your cabin as when you arrived you would be charged $25 each. Lo and behold, there were very few "saved" deck chairs. Oh, a book or a flip flop here and there, but nothing like I remember from the past on both HAL and NCL. I imagine this was meant to better control laundry costs, but it had a side effect on the chair-hogging problem.

<snip, snip>....However, we were responsible for them, and at the end of the cruise if there are not as many beach towels left in your cabin as when you arrived you would be charged $25 each. Lo and behold, there were very few "saved" deck chairs. Oh, a book or a flip flop here and there, but nothing like I remember from the past on both HAL and NCL. I imagine this was meant to better control laundry costs, but it had a side effect on the chair-hogging problem.

Brilliant!

Marc

We never have a problem with them. If a chair has been empty for a while and there books and towels on it I just place them on the deck and use the lounge chair.

Have had people say you took my lounge chair and I tell them no I doid not as their stuff was on the deck saving a sport for them there.

Jim (without Ruth)

I think it was on the Rotterdam VI when it was new, my wife and I went up to the Crows Nest in the early morning hours - they served coffee and juice etc. In those days there were a few very comfortable and plush chairs (almost couches) that provided a direct view over the bow. The venue is configured much differently now. One woman was sitting on one. There was no one else in the Crows Nest at the time. My wife went to sit on one, when she was admonished by the woman that all the loungers were being saved by her for her friends.

When I relate this story, about half the people feel this behaviour appropriate. I don't believe this sort of thing is ever worth an argument, but I am always surprised to see it when it happens.

Well, I have to say that I like how HAL puts towels up on deck. It's nice not to have to carry your darn towel everywhere you go just because you may visit the pool later in the day. Anyway, it is a plus for me on the Holland side. But then again, I've never had trouble with chair hogs. ;)

We'll see if my tune changes after I go to Alaska in August. I would think that deck space is at a premium on glacier viewing days.

I am amazed anyone could think they could save all of the chairs. I am trying to wrap my head around that kind of brass and ego. I would probably laugh and say "you have got to be kidding" as I sat down. I just can't imagine that person having that many friends.:D

We never have a problem with them. If a chair has been empty for a while and there books and towels on it I just place them on the deck and use the lounge chair.

Have had people say you took my lounge chair and I tell them no I doid not as their stuff was on the deck saving a sport for them there.

Jim (without Ruth)

I do the same as you Jim.

I think that Alaska is much more port intensive then the Caribbean so that may be why chairs are always more available on Alaska cruises. We have done Alaska twice and even on sea days people tend to do more inside type of activities and tend to lounge around on different decks. However in the Caribbean many of the activities are poolside so people want to sit and watch the acitivities and listen to the music. I think Caribbean cruises are more laid back in the sense that people do go there to relax and lay out rather then rush to book excursions and tours.

Barbara

I'm glad to say, on the 2 HAL cruises I've taken, I haven't seen a lot of chair hogging going on.:)

Although, on Princess, even though they give you that 1 little pool towel in your cabin that you have to guard with your life, oh BOY, the chair hogs were out in force! :(

This works if there's two of you, and you find the loungers you want 'reserved' by an invisible cruiser.

One of you picks up the 'reserving' items, books/flipflops or whatever, and takes them to the 'lost property' office (usually the front desk) whilst the other stays to offer extremely apologetic advice and information should the owner of said items return unexpectedly.

:D

Growler, I like your plan. Question folks, how much time would you wait before claiming a "saved" lounge chair? How long before sister/brother seat saver returned with that schocked:eek: you have my seat attitude? Did they go away or did you give up the chair? I think on a 35 day cruise I might get tired of the seat savers real fast and impliment a plan like Growler's

10-15 minutes (maybe up to 30 around lunch time) is reasonable in my book. After that, the stuff on the chairs goes (I like the idea of taking it to the Front Office when there's two of you). When the "reservee" returns, they will be politely advised of HAL's policy re: the reserving of chairs (It's in the Daily program) and given directions to the Front Office where they can file (or attempt to file) an official complaint against us.

The folks in the show lounge who reserve an entire row only to have certain members of their "party" not show up until after the show has started are a real favorite of mine

The folks in the show lounge who reserve an entire row only to have of their "party" not show up until after the show has started are a real favorite of mine

Copper---We had that happen to us on our first cruise on the Maasdam. My husband and I found ourselves at the head of the line waiting to get into the upper level of the show lounge on a formal night. After about 15 minutes the doors opened and we entered the first row and sat in the centre. At this time a gentleman came rushing in from the opposite end of the row and informed us that he needed to save 12 seats and we would have to move. As people had filled in behind us that was impossible so we told him we couldn't. He insisted that we move to the rear of the theatre and when we ignored him he had his football player sized teenage son sit on the drink holding tray beside me so that he sat on one of my legs. I did not want to make a scene so I ignored him for about five minutes and then my leg hurt so much that I told him he would have to get off me.

The poor son looked so embarrassed that I felt sorry for him but the father insisted that he stay put. It was only after the passengers behind us got into the act and complained that the son was blocking their view, that the father told the son to go and sit somewhere else. My husband was just about to go and call security.

It really quite ruined the evening as I had never encountered anything like that before. On the positive side, the gentleman was properly attired for the formal evening.:D

10-15 minutes (maybe up to 30 around lunch time) is reasonable in my book. After that, the stuff on the chairs goes (I like the idea of taking it to the Front Office when there's two of you). When the "reservee" returns, they will be politely advised of HAL's policy re: the reserving of chairs (It's in the Daily program) and given directions to the Front Office where they can file (or attempt to file) an official complaint against us.

The folks in the show lounge who reserve an entire row only to have certain members of their "party" not show up until after the show has started are a real favorite of mine

If I remember correctly, there were guidelines posted on my last cruise in the outdoor pool area stating that after 30 minutes the chair was assumed to have been abandoned.

I get the greatest kick of rattling people who save a whole line of chairs. I just remind them of the ship's policy and proceed to plant my A.. somewhere in the middle of their reserved seats.

These people have little or no consideration for us so why should we be considerate to them. These are the people who feel that they are better than anyone else and the rules just don't apply to them.

Had one the other day who drove to the head of the line and then tried to squeeze in. I have a pickup several years old. Rolled down my window and told him he could hit me if he wanted to but there was no way in hell he was getting into the spot in front of me... The man behind me let him in....

Maybe its just me but I am really fed up with the people who do not feel that the rules do not apply to them....

Jim (without Ruth)

I have always wondered why the cruiselines do not give each cabin "chair tags". You would get the number of tags per guest in your cabin. (1 per person). You would then select the chairs you want and place your tag with your cabin number on the selected chairs. True, the people who want to get up @6am would get first choice, but if they want to do that well then I guess the deserve 1st choice. In my opinion if this was done, then there would be seats for all guests.

Barbara

Okay, I'll bite -- are chair hogs really a problem on HAL? We've only ever gone to Alaska, our first "warm" cruise will be this winter; do I need to prepare myself to have my view of HAL cruisers as mannerly, considerate and well-socialized ruined????

Archived