San Juan Airport Check-in Information Needed

Queen B1

I've just posted this question on the San Juan boards but realized that perhaps it would have been better suited here. All of your collective advice and expertise is much appreciated as I've not flown commercially in almost 25 years........So "this old horse is learning new tricks" thanks to you. Here is my question:

We will be flying into/out of the San Juan airport for our July cruise on the Destiny and need some help! It is our understanding (through these boards) that US Air does not participate in the Express Luggage service. We have also learned that the SJ airport can be a zoo on cruise departure days and the lines unbearably long. We are considering on-line check-in from the ship to avoid those long lines but are not sure if US Air has check-in kiosks to drop off our luggage at that particular airport. Would we still have to stand in the traditional check-in line regardless? Thanks in advance!

Checking in online doesn't hurt. You still have to check your baggage at the airport.

Yes, San Juan is a mess of an airport, but you can make it easier on yourself by not over packing, keeping your carry on bags well within the limits of what is allowed and having your stuff in your TSA baggie all organized and nice.

The less stuff you have in your hands, the easier your transit through that airport will be.

One thing, I know that US Air now participates in RCCL's program out of San Juan. Make sure to check when you get to your cruise to see if they aren't participating in Carnival's program.

The reason no airline at the airport allows express baggage check, or even curb side check using a skycap is that your bags must go through a USDA inspection (x-ray) to check for fruit, meat, etc.

After they inspect it, and seal it, you can then take it to the airline checkin counter. It does take a little more time, so don't arrive late.

If you go straight from the ship to the airport, leave your cruise luggage tags on your bags. If you do this, you can skip the USDA check at SJU because your bags have already gone through a USDA check at the pier.

I've just posted this question on the San Juan boards but realized that perhaps it would have been better suited here. All of your collective advice and expertise is much appreciated as I've not flown commercially in almost 25 years........So "this old horse is learning new tricks" thanks to you. Here is my question:

We will be flying into/out of the San Juan airport for our July cruise on the Destiny and need some help! It is our understanding (through these boards) that US Air does not participate in the Express Luggage service. We have also learned that the SJ airport can be a zoo on cruise departure days and the lines unbearably long. We are considering on-line check-in from the ship to avoid those long lines but are not sure if US Air has check-in kiosks to drop off our luggage at that particular airport. Would we still have to stand in the traditional check-in line regardless? Thanks in advance!

Definately do everything ahead of time thats possible like the check in online and get to the airport and allow plenty of time. I dont think ive ever seen such chaos at an airport that I saw in San Juan. There were only 2 cruise ships in but there must of been another 20,000 tourist on the island flying home on Sunday. Next time we will fly out the day after a cruise. We did love San Juan. Just curious how come you havent flown commercially in 25 years?

Thanks for all of your advice! My nervousness stems from traveling with my precious 82 year old Mom. (We are taking our 3rd annual mother/daughter cruise in celebration of her birthday!) Having not flown in such a long time, I really want to have my "ducks in a row" when leaving from San Juan. While we were able to arrive a day early for our cruise, we had to fly out on debarkation day because of prior commitments back at home. Not the best timing, I know!

Ruskatab, you asked why it had been so long since I had flown. We live in SC halfway between the mountains and the coast. All of my husband's and my vacations are spent with our extended families at the family beach house or up in the mountains. (In fact, we just got back from a week's stay at the beach.) We just have short drives to either! In addition, these special cruises with my mother have been near enough for us to drive to those, also. So you can see, we've never had the need to fly....that is up until now!

wrp96, I'm really encouraged by US Air's participation in luggage express on the RCCL ship in San Juan! I'll certainly keep my fingers crossed that it is available on the Destiny by July! Also, thanks for the advice about leaving the cruise tags on!

Another question! Our US Air flight leaves at 2:30 and from what I've read on the boards, our "color/number" on the Destiny is pretty much the last one called! (Because of Mom's age, taking our luggage off ourselves is out of the question.) How cooperative do you think that the Purser's Desk would be in giving us an earlier debarkation color/number in order to arrive at the airport in a more timely manner (especially considering Mom's age.)

• 6 months later...
If you go straight from the ship to the airport, leave your cruise luggage tags on your bags. If you do this, you can skip the USDA check at SJU because your bags have already gone through a USDA check at the pier.

Only checked bags must go through USDA inspection at the SJU airport, and not carry-on, correct?

Only checked bags must go through USDA inspection at the SJU airport, and not carry-on, correct?

Correct, when you go through security, they will do the USDA check on your carryons at the same time.

OP, even with the last tags you will still have plenty of time at SJU. You might even be better off getting there after 11. There is very little seating near the US Air gate, or anywhere else in that terminal, but since you will be there in July you will not have hoards of cruise passengers to contend with.

You will have plenty of time. Please also note that there are not a lot of food options in that wing. You can get a sandwich or salad and a few other specialities but there is no sit-down restaurant to while away your wait time.

Archived