Land trip to Vietnam and Angor Wat

Benita

Any good TA can find you a package like you describe. Being Canadian, I have some names but don't know if they have a US presence. Try Chinapac, Goway, or Tours East.

Thanks Cathi, I have a trip to the Philippines with Goway planned, but did not see anything in Vietnam that appealed. I will look into the other two that you suggested.

Decide what you want to see in Vietnam/Cambodia. Then call Patrick at IndoChina Travel. They only do private custom trips, but you must have a rough idea of what you want. There are cheaper trips, but you won't get the same service. And don't book plane fare through a travel agency. There are just too many ways to get it at a heavy discount. If you want to do it on your own, with just minimal guide and pick up service, let me know. Otherwise, contact Patrick. http://www.indochinatravel.com/

You will definitely want to spend the night on one of the Chinese junks in Halong Bay. Mama Hahn's boat trip out of Nha Trang is another "don't miss" if you are a partier. Furama Resort in DaNang is on China Beach. The train from Hanoi to DaNang is another great trip.

All these things can be arranged by IndoChina Travel or independently.

My first business trip to the area-I picked out hotels, what I wanted to do and had Patrick put it all together, so I only had to pay one time. I am in Vietnam/Cambodia about 3 times per year for business. If you need further help, please post

I agree with greatam. Patrick at Indo China can put together a great package. We were going to Cambodia in February next year and I got in contact with him to organize our trip. We have had a change of plans so will not be visiting Cambodia in the immediate future.

Another firm that I came across when researching China was Explore Orient. There website is: http://www.explorient.com/ and they have a trip that combines the two countries. They have prices that include air or you can just take the land package. They are easy to deal with and emails are answered promptly. http://www.explorient.com/Packaged%20

Tours/IndochinaExplorient.htm

Jennie

My wife and I are planning a trip to Viet Nam next month. We are soon to leave for China for about 15 days; however, from China we will fly to Hanoi to begin a 10 day tour of Viet Nam. We have arranged for private cars, drivers, and guides. Our travel itinerary was arranged through Pacific Bestours who works with Indo China Services. Our tour will include Hanoi (including Halong Bay) Hue, Hoi An, and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). Let me know if you want more specific information about our itinerary.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll look at all of them. I also received a brochure from a company called General Tours that has some great itineraries. Has anybody heard of them?

• 3 weeks later...
I know this is the forum for cruising, but can't find one for land trips. Any recommendations for a good company to use for a Vietnam and Angkor Wat trip?

Not sure where you are starting from but Ankor Wat is easy to do on your own, you just need air fare to get there. If you need a hotel suggestion send me an email. I also have a Vietnam agency we used in Saigon and NaTrang.

We also used indochinatours and were satisfied.

I definitely recommend a guide and driver for Angkor Wat. Transportation is nicer plus you have a guide to provide the history and meaning of all the engravings. We really liked the Sofitel which we chose for a better (closer) location than the Raffles.

We also used indochinatours and were satisfied.

I definitely recommend a guide and driver for Angkor Wat. Transportation is nicer plus you have a guide to provide the history and meaning of all the engravings. We really liked the Sofitel which we chose for a better (closer) location than the Raffles.

I agree.

The hotels can usually recommend local guides. We had one at an good rate and he took us to an excellent restaurant for lunch.

For an extra special hotel experience in Angkor, try the FCC. The original FCC in Phnom Penh was actually the Foreign Correspondents Club used by Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather and every top notch news anchor during the Vietnam War.

http://www.fcccambodia.com/angkor/

Small, boutique hotel that used to be the Governor's mansion. The service is extra special, the pool front rooms are spectacular. And the black swimming pool is really neat. Food/room packages are about 2/3 of Raffles/Sofitel and the service/rooms are twice as good. They have some top notch tour guides and offer a balloon ride over the ruins which is simply breathtaking. The trip to the elephant farm was far more special to me than the ruins. In fact, I had a 2 day pass and spent less than 1/2 day at the ruins. With the balloon ride and the elephant farm, I had a very special experience. Enjoy!!!!

For an extra special hotel experience in Angkor, try the FCC. The original FCC in Phnom Penh was actually the Foreign Correspondents Club used by Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather and every top notch news anchor during the Vietnam War.

http://www.fcccambodia.com/angkor/

Small, boutique hotel that used to be the Governor's mansion. The service is extra special, the pool front rooms are spectacular. And the black swimming pool is really neat. Food/room packages are about 2/3 of Raffles/Sofitel and the service/rooms are twice as good. They have some top notch tour guides and offer a balloon ride over the ruins which is simply breathtaking. The trip to the elephant farm was far more special to me than the ruins. In fact, I had a 2 day pass and spent less than 1/2 day at the ruins. With the balloon ride and the elephant farm, I had a very special experience. Enjoy!!!!

Have your ever stayed at the Angkor Village, it is really beautiful. A Kuhmar style hotel with lily ponds and beautiful lush green follage all around. It's like being in an oasis. Their dance theatre is really great too.

• 3 weeks later...
Decide what you want to see in Vietnam/Cambodia. Then call Patrick at IndoChina Travel. They only do private custom trips, but you must have a rough idea of what you want. There are cheaper trips, but you won't get the same service. And don't book plane fare through a travel agency. There are just too many ways to get it at a heavy discount. If you want to do it on your own, with just minimal guide and pick up service, let me know. Otherwise, contact Patrick. http://www.indochinatravel.com/

You will definitely want to spend the night on one of the Chinese junks in Halong Bay. Mama Hahn's boat trip out of Nha Trang is another "don't miss" if you are a partier. Furama Resort in DaNang is on China Beach. The train from Hanoi to DaNang is another great trip.

All these things can be arranged by IndoChina Travel or independently.

My first business trip to the area-I picked out hotels, what I wanted to do and had Patrick put it all together, so I only had to pay one time. I am in Vietnam/Cambodia about 3 times per year for business. If you need further help, please post

can you please advise on traveling from Bangkok to cambodia and Vietnam post cruise.

thank you

Anna-diamond princess sep20-oct 22 ends in Bangkok where we've been before

can you please advise on traveling from Bangkok to cambodia and Vietnam post cruise.

thank you

Anna-diamond princess sep20-oct 22 ends in Bangkok where we've been before

Bangkok Airways-a VERY nice little airline to Cambodia and Vietnam from BKK.

http://www.bangkokair.com/en/index.php

Please check the special offers-about 4 times per year, there are coupon specials and sometimes Bangkok Air sells a booklet for X amount of flights-purchase two or three flight coupons for about a 30% discount. Don't see it under special offers today, but it is available. Sign up for email alerts also.

OR you can do an overland route, but not recommended unless you are VERY travel saavy. You kind of have to fend for yourself at the border and can get ripped off badly if you are not very aggressive with the taxi drivers and touts at the border.

I got you transport to Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, and Saigon. What other help can I offer your?????

• 5 months later...
My wife and I are planning a trip to Viet Nam next month. We are soon to leave for China for about 15 days; however, from China we will fly to Hanoi to begin a 10 day tour of Viet Nam. We have arranged for private cars, drivers, and guides. Our travel itinerary was arranged through Pacific Bestours who works with Indo China Services. Our tour will include Hanoi (including Halong Bay) Hue, Hoi An, and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). Let me know if you want more specific information about our itinerary.

Hi we're Ann & Richard from NC & AZ sailing on Oceania Nautica Bangkok to Beijing Feb 27 -- Mar 23. We found only a couple of references on that roll call to Sharing a Private Guide for the ~ 12 venues being visited. So we're searching by destination to at least get some names of Private Guides.

With your experience from China and Viet Nam (& possibly some other destinations, do you have recommendations for such guides in any of the following: Bangkok, Viet Nam (3 stops in Da Nang, Hanoi, Saigon), Taipei, Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Shanghai, Seoul and Beijing. We have enjoyed the efficiency and increased control, not to mention some possible economies, in sharing private guides elsewhere and assume it works well in at least some of the above.

We'd appreciate any names, contact info and, especially, your opinion. It's probably faster with personal email or phone, so here's our contact info:

nowguy2@aol.com (Richard) and ann.shachtman@cox.net

Now 'til Jan 24: Scottsdale, AZ 480-275-4332 landline

& then to Feb 23 Chapel Hill, NC 919-942-7172 land.

Our cells: 919-616-9907 Ann 919-616-9908 Richard

but these do not work in our home in Chapel Hill.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Our best, A & R

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used or heard of a tour company in Hanoi called Viet Nam Luxury Travel. They seem to use all the best hotels and have several different tours of Viet Nam from 11 to 20 days. They also have an extension for Cambodia. Of all the sites I visited they seem to have the most interesting excursions and there are many recent testamonials about their service including names and dates. I know you have to be careful so I would be happy if someone has some information for me.

• 1 month later...

If you're considering a cruise, I think you need to consider which ship and ports of call. We were on the Clipper cruise (small ship) and we tendered ashore at most of the ports.

Tendering has never been a problem for me, I have done it in all kinds of seas. If you are on the right cruise line it is seamless. That is why we stick to RCI ships. We are looking at Azamara. Also it stay overnight in all but one of the ports.

My real desire is to do the trip on land. I found when we cruised in the med, the one day here, one day there was not what we were looking for. I just do not know if it is possible.

Archived