Is It Very Windy On Alaska Cruise?

dyanalee

You are so right. I personally am COLD when it is in the 60's. I live in Southern California and right now it has been in the 80's. So I expect to be cold on this cruise and I am bringing what I think I will need to stay warm. And I AM bringing gloves and a hat.

You won't regret the decision to bring along the gloves and hat. They don't take up much room and I know I definitely used mine on a couple of excursions as well as our scenic cruising day in Tracy Arm Fjord. My son refused to wear his gloves and hat and I have the most pathetic photo of him when we got off the train at the end of the Whitepass Railway tour we took in Skagway. We were way up in the Yukon and it was cold and windy. His hands were soooo cold and he was just huddled in his jacket looking miserable. I didn't even have the heart at that moment to say "I told you so!"

Just returned from the Star Princess R/T from Seattle, the Sea days did not get above 50 degrees and was very windy. Ketchikan was raining in the AM and cleared in the afternoon to low 50's. Juneau was raining and low 50's, Skagway was cloudy and low 50's. Rented a car in Skagway and had snow flurries in the White Pass.

The locals said the week before was much warmer than we experienced.

Great, just what I wanted to hear, lol. I can tell already that I am going to freeze my arse off. I am soooooooooo not looking forward to this trip. I cannot take the cold. It's a constant battle at home with the a/c. My husband is always hot and I am always cold. I hope my husband enjoys this trip because if he wants to go again, he is going ALONE!!!

We went last September on the 9th and didn't experience any wind or rain and beautiful temps. Almost 70 degrees going through Glacier Bay. However, Alaska is very unpredictable so you have to pack and prepare for both ways conservatively. I bet that doesn't help at all. :D

Dyanalee, my husband is usually hot also, but he even wore a jacket there! It was hard for me to imagine that August could be cold anywhere, but it was. Oh, but the trip to Alaska is SOOOOO worth it! Right now it is so hot here (94 and muggy) that the cool sounds like a pleasure.

The coldest day I ever experienced was the 4th of July in San Francisco... We leave for our Alaska cruise in a couple of weeks and I'm concentrating more on the clothing for cooler temps than warmer...

Jennifer

I don't mean to sound cheeky but I cannot believe that some are suggesting gloves and long johns for Alaska in the summer. Before anyone replies "what does someone from Scotland know about the weather in Alaska", my first ever cruise was an Alaskan cruise on the Regal Princess in 2001.

On that cruise we saw some people wrapped up in blankets on deck when the temperature was in the mid 60's. I suppose it depends on what kind of weather you're used to at home.

Could well be that it'll be nice and warm none of it would be needed. But, right now it's 47, raining, with 18 mph winds in Skagway. They're expecting snow flurries tonight.

Archived