Is It Very Windy On Alaska Cruise?

dyanalee

I'm trying to figure out what to bring for my husband for our Alaskan cruise. He doesn't mind the cold, but the wind gets to him. So, should I think in terms of sweaters for him to wear and a couple shirts thrown in? I will be bringing his heavy jacket of course but he says he doesn't need it , that a light weight one will do, lol. What would you that have been there suggest? We are leaving out of San Francisco on the Dawn in July.

Thank you for any suggestions for me! :)

It is unpredictable - some years can be very warm, and even hot - I believe 2 years ago it was extremely hot, so much so people were scrambling to find T-shirts and shorts, some years can be very rainy. On one of ours, a SB, it rained from Whittier nonstop until it entered inside passage towards Vancouver Island.

Layering is your best approach. Bring a HAT, a knit one that can be easily crushed and put in a jacket pocket. You do not know how much body heat escapes from the top of our heads, especially for men. Bring a woolen muffler and a pair of gloves.

I would agree with your husband, a lightweight jacket is enough, provided you also have thick shirt and undershirt, may be a snug vest.

We went on an Alaska cruise 2 years ago and the weather was wonderful. I would not take a heavy jacket. We took clothes that could be layered. We each took a jacket that was more like a windbreaker. Have a great trip.

If you are looking at glaciers and the ship is moving you will find the wind to be very cold. If you have sweaters, an outer jacket with a hood or knit cap and layer you should be OK. Some people were wearing gloves. It can rain so have appropriate gear.

There's no way to predict wind or weather on any cruise or most land vacations. The solution is layers, layers, layers and a good windbreaker and a hat. That way, you can be prepared for anything from hot to cold -- it'll just depend on how many layers you add. Layers are much better than one or two heavy pieces since you're more flexible. Also, some heavy sweaters might be warm but not as wind-proof, depending on how they are knit. A fleece vest might be a good thing to bring because it's light, packable and adds quite a bit of additional warmth to layers.

Sounds like it depends on the weather? ;-)

Might check your 10 day forcasts as time gets closer, but winds will depend on fronts passing at the time - so who can predict more than a week or so ahead.

Old Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared!

We've had a very cold and wet spring here in the Northwest (southern Alaska has about the same weather). We finally broke down and turned the furnace back on today. Don't know if the trend will continue into summer but our saying is "summer starts the day after the Fourth of July" Since you're sailing on the sixth--that's cutting it close!

We always take heavy coats, gloves and hats just in case. We have been to Alaska a few times and the weather has been different each time. The first time was at the end of July first week of August. My husband said we didn't need to bring heavy coats, etc. I said I'm taking everything anyway, just in case. Just like mention before "Be Prepared". I'm so glad I did because we needed every ounce of the coats, gloves, hats I brought while we were on the ship viewing the glaciers.

However when on shore a light fleece jacket was sufficient.

Make sure you have binoculars also.

I'm trying to figure out what to bring for my husband for our Alaskan cruise. He doesn't mind the cold, but the wind gets to him. So, should I think in terms of sweaters for him to wear and a couple shirts thrown in? I will be bringing his heavy jacket of course but he says he doesn't need it , that a light weight one will do, lol. What would you that have been there suggest? We are leaving out of San Francisco on the Dawn in July.

It may be a cooler & windier summer in SF than in Alaska. ;)

You haven't told us when you are sailing, however a heavy jacket probably won't be necessary. I would suggest a light weight, water/wind proof jacket would be more appropriate. After that it is sweater and fleeces that can be worn under the jacket. Don't forget some durable leather shoes (sneakers) sprayed with a waterproofing, gloves and something for your head.

We were there during the third week of May and it was chilly but not cold except at the high elevations. Still a little snow on the ground on the way to the Yukon Territory. It is not usually bad along the coast.

Here is an example for Ketchikan which I believe is one of your ports of call in mid July.

_____________________Actual ____ Average______Record

Temperature:

Mean Temperature ___62°F/16°C

Max Temperature ____70°F/21°C_____62°F/16°C___84°F/28°C (1952)

Min Temperature _____55°F/12°C____50°F/9°C_____42°F/5°C (1970)

Precipitation 0.07 in / 0.18 cm

Wind:

Wind Speed 8 mph / 13 km/h (SSE)

Max Wind Speed 12 mph / 19 km/h

Thank you all for all your tips. As always, Cruise Critic comes through. So in essence, it is layer, layer, layer. Hat, and gloves, and rain gear. I will just pick up a couple of those cheapie rain coats from Walmart or someplace like that. I am the one that is always cold, he sweats in the shower, lol. Maybe instead of his heavy coat, I will just take him a hoodie sweatshirt and a light weight jacket. It will take up less room in the suitcase. I worry more about what to take for him then I do for myself. I KNOW what I am taking and that is a heavy coat besides a lightweight one in case it is not too cold. :D

you are better off leaving the sweatshirt at home--cotton is the worst material when it is cold, wet and/or windy. bring a knit or fleece hat, and bring a fleece pullover or jacket plus a fleece vest. fleece can be cheap--sahalie.com has pullovers for $20.

you want synthetic materials or wool. the lightweight jacket should be waterproof. the hat and gloves are better than a hooded sweatshirt.

even for you0--I would take several layers--even bring silk long underwear (nice and thin) for top and bottoms--and leave the bulky heavy jacket at home. hats, and gloves and lots of layers. you want to trap the insulating air between the layers.

even the light nylon pants are much better than jeans--for warmth and being warm when wet or windy.

We got off the ship yesterday morning. The weather in Alaska was beautiful. They said it was usually raining but we didn't see it at all. We wore silk long underwear and sweatshirts and were fine. The only time we needed anything warmer was on the glacier and the whale watching boat. It was chilly on the decks...but not unbearable. Just layer, layer, layer...so if you get too hot you can get cooler. I hope you have a wonderful trip. Alaska was incredible.

Hi,

I read this weblog every day. It is written by Captain Albert of Holland America. He is writing from his ship Veendam. The ship is now doing seven night Alaskan cruises. The other day (the Captain wrote )outside of Sitka the wind was 20 knots. But then it calm down. You are going to Alaska so you might like to read his blog.

http://www.avidcruiser.com/albert/

Maria

We got off the ship yesterday morning. The weather in Alaska was beautiful. They said it was usually raining but we didn't see it at all. We wore silk long underwear and sweatshirts and were fine. The only time we needed anything warmer was on the glacier and the whale watching boat. It was chilly on the decks...but not unbearable. Just layer, layer, layer...so if you get too hot you can get cooler. I hope you have a wonderful trip. Alaska was incredible.

I can't see my husband wearing silk long underwear and I wouldn't even know where to buy them. But he does have sweaters and sweatshirts and I just ordered both of us a rain proof windbreaker. Mine has a hood if I want to wear it. We are also going on the whale watching boat, and I imagined it would be cooler on that. I still have to go to Walmart and see if they have those cheapy rain poncho type things, just in case. I have Isotoner gloves, I don't know if they will do or not, and he says he doesn't need any. I know the key to this is layer, layer, layer, lol. I hope to get our rack set up this weekend so I can see what I have and it will be ready to pack. Now all I have to worry about is the airlines not canceling our flight, they already changed out return to later in the day. That I don't mind, it's the flight that gets us there that I need to know about before the day we are supposed to leave. If they move that up much, we might have to drive to San Francisco which is about an eight hour drive. We would leave the day before if that is the case!

We've had a very cold and wet spring here in the Northwest (southern Alaska has about the same weather). We finally broke down and turned the furnace back on today. Don't know if the trend will continue into summer but our saying is "summer starts the day after the Fourth of July" Since you're sailing on the sixth--that's cutting it close!

I'm also from the Northwest... and regarding the saying about summer, it also finishes with, "and fall starts two days after Fourth of July." :D

Actually, I've been watching the weather forecasts for the last month as we are going out of Seattle, June 22 on the Star. The weather in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway has almost mirrored ours here in Portland, and many days the weather has been 2 to 3 degrees warmer in AK.

HTH

symo

The last week in August '03 I was cold the entire time. Of course I am used to August in Alabama..heat heat heat. We are going back the last of August this year, and I plan to take the same type jacket (fleece) but I'm going to take warmer shirts & blouses.

I can't see my husband wearing silk long underwear and I wouldn't even know where to buy them.

Silk longjohns aren't "fancy" at all (they even have the "fly front"). They look just like regular longjohns but are much thinner than the regular kind so are more comfortable under your clothes. They also dry faster which is probably why they're so popular here in the rainy Northwest. You can buy them at REI, Cabellas or any other outdoor shop.

Here's hoping your trip is sunny and rain-free and you don't have to use any of these tips!

Kathi & Leo

I don't mean to sound cheeky but I cannot believe that some are suggesting gloves and long johns for Alaska in the summer. Before anyone replies "what does someone from Scotland know about the weather in Alaska", my first ever cruise was an Alaskan cruise on the Regal Princess in 2001.

On that cruise we saw some people wrapped up in blankets on deck when the temperature was in the mid 60's. I suppose it depends on what kind of weather you're used to at home.

It probably does depend on what type weather you are used to. I know that I stayed cold the entire time we were there before, and I envied those who had taken gloves.

You are so right. I personally am COLD when it is in the 60's. I live in Southern California and right now it has been in the 80's. So I expect to be cold on this cruise and I am bringing what I think I will need to stay warm. And I AM bringing gloves and a hat.

Just returned from the Star Princess R/T from Seattle, the Sea days did not get above 50 degrees and was very windy. Ketchikan was raining in the AM and cleared in the afternoon to low 50's. Juneau was raining and low 50's, Skagway was cloudy and low 50's. Rented a car in Skagway and had snow flurries in the White Pass.

The locals said the week before was much warmer than we experienced.

San Francisco in July? How about an arctic parka? Seriously, it can be so cold there in the summer that you just wouldn't believe it.

Wind blocker fleece - available at Bean, Land's End, REI

Silk long johns are an excellen suggestion: wintersilks.com My DH wouldn't travel without his. Layer those under a jacket of some kind, and you warmth without bulk. I slept in mine on a recent coastal cruise because the cabin was cold and I'd only brought a short nightshirt.

Fleece pull-on hat is good.

Archived