Anyone stay at Marriott Hollywood Beach? Restaurants nearby?

loriva

We wanted to give the Marriott Hollywood Beach a try as it was available for points. It gets mostly great reviews on TripAdvisor, but wanted to know if any CCers had experience there and any tips for future visitors. Also, any suggestions for restaurants? We have a two-night, pre-cruise stay there in early December and DH will be celebrating a birthday as well. We will have a rental car, so could travel if needed, but would prefer something close in case we decide to enjoy an adult beverage with dinner.:D

Thanks!

Lori and Chris, an excellent choice for a stay on one of the nicest beaches in South Florida. The hotel opened in 2005. Formerly a Howard Johnsons, it was gutted, remodeled and rebranded as the Marriott Courtyard. Situated among mom and pop boutique hotels it's in a very safe area. Directly on the beach only seperated by the 2.5 mile long broadwalk. The ocean is turquoise and warm.

My first choice for restaurants is the hotels. They have a very eclectic menu unlike any menu you've ever seen at any Marriott. The chef is very creative and quite good. Cocktails at the hotels outdoor bar overlooking the ocean can't be beat. They usually have live music nightly. This is one of a few bars in town where you order a 'screwdriver' and they squeeze the orange juice right in front of you to make the drink.

Just down the road on the intracoastal is a local dive called 'LeTub'. It was rated by GQ magazine as having the best hamburger in America. Further south is the Flickerlight for great pizza, Taverna Opa where you can break dishes and dance on the tables with the waiters, especially fun after doing multiple shots of Ouzo. Giorgio for fine dining and Billys for Stone Crabs are all minutes from the hotel.

Here's some reviews by other CC'ers that I've turned on to the Hollywood Beach Marrriott. I think you'll see that you've made a fine choice and you'll have many dining options.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=709368&highlight=hollywood+beach+marriott

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=684717&highlight=hollywood+beach+marriott

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=691082&highlight=hollywood+beach+marriott

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=648158&highlight=hollywood+beach+marriott

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=352375&highlight=hollywood+beach+marriott

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=279045&highlight=hollywood+beach+marriott

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=206503&highlight=hollywood+beach+marriott

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=197810&highlight=hollywood+beach+marriott

, remodeled and rebranded as the Marriott Courtyard. Situated among mom and pop boutique hotels it's in a very safe area. Directly on the beach only seperated by the 2.5 mile long broadwalk.

Bequia...it is NOT a Courtyard....i think you need coffee!!:eek: It's a full service marriott.....

THe rooms are smallish though, and the balconies are too...BUT it is a very nice hotel.......(the furniture in the rooms is too big!!):) -probably worth the points....but if it was me, and i had the points...i'd go to harbor beach!

Thank you, Beguia, and Meg for your information.

We stayed at the Rennaissance on 17th precruise last year and did the water taxi, Las Olas, and an airboat ride in the Everglades, so were looking for something different this year. (Not that the Rennaissance--great service and location--is not a wonderful property, please don't get me wrong.) Hollywood Beach, with an "old" Florida vibe and no cookie-cutter, Disneyesque scenes, to paraphrase Bequia, sounds great. We'll be looking forward to trying the freshly squeezed OJ and the eclectic menu in the hotel restaurant. (Thanks again, Bequia, for your 3010 Ocean recommendation last year. That gave us a chance, Meg, to see the Harbor Beach Marriott and it is lovely. It's also not available for points during our stay and the smaller HB Marriott sounds very much our style.)

Thanks for posting all the links as well, Bequia. (I did a search, but those threads did not come up for some reason. I've been having trouble with the search being down or not returning results lately. The first review you posted was also on TripAdvisor.) On some of your early posts you mentioned that "They will be developing a marina on the adjoining intercoastal in the future with plans to add a water taxi stop." Any update on the progress of the project?

Thanks again to all,

Bequia...it is NOT a Courtyard....i think you need coffee!!:eek: It's a full service marriott.....

No kidding...an obvious slip......glad to see your on your toes, don't know if anyone else would've figured it out....... :rolleyes:

In terms of Harbor Beach versus Hollywood Beach Marriott, no way! The Hollywood Beach property is intimate, certainly less crowded, the foods better and the beach is a lot prettier. If you like lot's of crowds, ton's of kids running around and paying through the nose for everything then the Harbor Beach Marriot is perfect for you. ;)

Lori, the marina has yet to be developed but they have been tearing down additional properties in preparation. Another huge Marriott is in the works for a piece of property just south of the Hollywood Beach Marriott.

hate crowds, not big on kids...BUT the Harbor beach has bigger rooms....(and when, like a moron, i WALKED there from the Renny last summer in the HOT...they gave me an icy cold bottle of water!!!)

Dont get me wrong, Hollywood beach was lovely and i would give it a shot...we were there right after it opened....

the Renaissance will benefit from being redone....it's worn out and service is hit or miss.....IMHO it's a waste of points!

[bequia...I was having my coffee early!!:p ]

Thanks again to you both. And save some of that coffee for me! (Our last cruise stopped in Cartagena, Limon, and Ocho Rios--we had GREAT coffee from all for months, but it is all gone now. :( )

We stayed at the Marriott Hollywood beach for 2 nights last January. One of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed at. The pool is absolutely wonderful. Heated just right. We ate at the rest. one meal. It was great, though a little expensive. I didn't mind paying for it. The atmosphere was well worth it. The have a great breakfast buffet also. The buffet was included in our package, but don't think that it is always like that. Like Bequia said, the orange juice is to die for.

There was nothing much close to eat at if you are walking. If you have a rental car it won't be a problem. We ate the second night at Taverna Opa. Greek food, great, but we did have trouble knowing what to order. The menu is a little confusing if you are not familiar with greek food. Try the lamb, it was wonderful.

The ocean is so close that you can sit in the bar area and be just feet from the ocean. Also, we did have entertainment both nights. Nothing fancy, just 2 guys, one singing and one with a guitar, but it was nice to have them there. We walked both ways up the broadwalk, and then would have to make a stop at the bar to get a little refresment. I would love to stay there again, anytime. The only thing I would do different was I would spend more time at the hotel and the pool area.

Have fun.

Thanks, HeavySurf and Bills Blasters! Always great to have ideas and tips from those who've been there. A walk on the Boardwalk and then dip in pool or ocean with a drink at the bar after--sounds like heaven! Too bad it's still six months away!

Take care,

Archived