No Food at Mendenhall Glacier

tee_harbor

Just noticed a little notice in this Sunday's Juneau Empire. I know there have been questions about eating at the glacier before, and folks have been told that no food is sold out there, so bring lunch or snacks.

Well, now the rangers will be stopping anyone they catch eating food in the parking lots, by the visitors' center, on the trails, lake beaches, etc. Water bottles are the only thing allowed.

This is because of the number of bears in the area and the fear of them associating food with humans. The ban will be lifted in the fall when the bears have gone (and so have all the cruisers! No candy bar for you! :( )

Just returned from Dawn Princess, 05-27 to 06-06 RT SFO. We saw a brown bear right at the creek next to the bus tour parking lot!!! Got to see the bear before we could even get to the glacier viewing area! It was a beautiful experience but I do agree with not bringing in any food, you may have a face to face encounter that you may not desire.

My mother and I are diabetics and we had our snack before leaving the bus, leaving all wrappers and drinks in the bus.

AlinaMaria

Just noticed a little notice in this Sunday's Juneau Empire. I know there have been questions about eating at the glacier before, and folks have been told that no food is sold out there, so bring lunch or snacks.

Well, now the rangers will be stopping anyone they catch eating food in the parking lots, by the visitors' center, on the trails, lake beaches, etc. Water bottles are the only thing allowed.

This is because of the number of bears in the area and the fear of them associating food with humans. The ban will be lifted in the fall when the bears have gone (and so have all the cruisers! No candy bar for you! :( )

Thanks for the heads up tee_harbor, We always take along some snacks but we'll leave them behind this time. Did the rangers check backpacks for contraband?

Thanks for the heads up tee_harbor, We always take along some snacks but we'll leave them behind this time. Did the rangers check backpacks for contraband?

I doubt that very much. First, because I've never seen more than two rangers outside the visitors' center, and there can be hundreds of visitors milling around.

It would probably even be fine to eat a snack inside the visitors' center.

On the radio yesterday, they said the rangers have observed a bear getting up on his hind legs and peering into cars several times, which is classic, humans = food behavior. The paper had a photograph of a bear munching on some weeds while viewers stood close by--may be the bear from the above mention--and they think he seems very comfortable with humans and could easily be turned into a garbage bear. So all together, they've being cautious and stop anything before it starts.

Good idea, and if you change your mind, let's hope the bears don't associate your backpack with food ;)

after the bear attack, yes, i would say the rangers would check the backpack to see why it happened?

this reminds me of the sign in yellowstone to "not feed the animals" and right in front of the sign was a dad and his young daughter. he was showing her how to hold the food...stiff wondered who he blamed when the squirrel bite the girl.

Wow, thanks for the head's up! I will certainally let all in our party know this!

I actually have been having nightmares are being mauled by a bear! I know sounds silly! But they look so big and aggressive from the Travel Channel shows! :eek:

I wonder if bears can smell a pack of cigarettes or a cigar in someone's pocket.......and if they think its food!

Is smoking allowed on these excursions?

I am not a smoker and I am sickened by cigarette smoke.

Tom

I wonder if bears can smell a pack of cigarettes or a cigar in someone's pocket.......and if they think its food!

There's a lot of smokers in Alaska, so if they were attracted to it, I think there'd be an attack or two I'd have heard about. Maybe the bears are smarter than humans. ;)

Is smoking allowed on these excursions?

I am not a smoker and I am sickened by cigarette smoke.

No, although I know on the Adventure Bound Tracy Arm trips I've taken in the past, folks were smoking on the back. I wouldn't be surprised if they've banned it by now. I can't remember what happened on the whale watching trip I took with Orca. I vaguely remember Captain Larry himself smoking though, so it must be allowed on the deck.

Juneau is slowly catching up---we've finally banned smoking in restaurants and bars, although the bars are fighting back like crazy. Unfortunately, this means if you're trying to enter something like a bar or the airport, you have to force your way through the solid wall of smokers, since it's usually cold and raining.

Archived