?size of the safes on PD and other questions

TSJE4

Hi there. Just some qustions about PD if you wouldn't mind:)

. Can you please tell me how big the safes are in a 4 berth cabin? Hubby wants to take the lap top and wonders whether it will fit?

Is it worth taking reef shoes for mystery island?

How much is the pizzeria? (More for kids sake than ours.)

With the kids club, our kids are 6 and 9, what happens if the kids need us . I think i read that we get pagers , but is this still correct ?

Can't think of any other questions at the moment, but i'm sure they'll pop into my head as the weeks go by . ( 9 weeks to go and i'm already starting packing:D ) Thank you , Sandi.

Hi Sandy,

If the safes are anything like on Pacific Sun, they are fairly small. You can fit passports and wallets in but anything bigger you would be struggling. We had a mini suite on Pacific Dawn where there was only one safe which was bigger than the 4 smaller ones, but it still wouldn't have taken anything much bigger We took my laptop on both of our cruises and they were perfectly safe sitting on the desktop (DH did put a password on though ;) ). Other CC's will be able to answer your other questions.

Sarah

One of the safes in the 4 berth cabins was bigger than the other three but not big enough for a laptop (from memory).

Your kids will be in 2 different kids clubs with your 6 yo being in Turtle Cove & your 9 yo in Shark Shack. You will have a pager for your 6yo. There is a $50 (I think)refundable deposit on it but as far as I know they only actually charge you the $50 IF you don't return it. In Shark Shack, you have a pager unless your child has the privelidge of signing him/herself out. My guess is that you won't get another pager just tell them your pager number. Also, even with your 9yo, if he/she is in there for babysitting you will need a pager because even if you give him/her the privelidge to sign in & out, not allowed after 9.30. Again, just give them the number of the pager you have.

Haven't been to Myster Is for 22 years so not sure about reef shoes but I'd say probably a good idea.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. We're all here to help. Just go & enjoy yourself:) .

Pack the reef shoes.

After swimming with them on a lot of islands, Mystery Island included, I would never swim without them again.

It makes a big difference when you don't have to worry about sharp rocks or anything else you can't see. :)

You can get cheap ones from Big W for under $10.00 a pair.

Re the Kids Clubs ... I can only speak of the Pacific Sun (so it may be different on the Dawn) - but they only have ever given us pagers when our kids were in Turtle Cove - which they could buzz you on if your child needs you at any stage. In Shark Shack they only gave pagers to those who had children with 'special needs' - but having children in both clubs, they would probably still page you if your older child needed you (I would hope!!!):):eek:

Re the Kids Clubs ... I can only speak of the Pacific Sun (so it may be different on the Dawn) - but they only have ever given us pagers when our kids were in Turtle Cove - which they could buzz you on if your child needs you at any stage. In Shark Shack they only gave pagers to those who had children with 'special needs' - but having children in both clubs, they would probably still page you if your older child needed you (I would hope!!!):):eek:

It's probably the same on both ships. Our kids were old enough both times to sign themselves in & out so the only time we had a pager was when we left them there after 9.30pm, which was only twice on our Sun cruise and not at all on our Dawn cruise.

Fellow CCer kazza1 had one in Turtle Cove & 2 in Shark Shack (one was able to sign himself out, younger one wasn't). As far as I know her pager was used for both younger boys. Also on the Dawn, the two clubs are adjoining with an interior door connecting them (hope that makes sense) and the kids were able to go from one to the other without actually having to leave (this was able to be done because niether kids clubs were full).

Good Idea to take lapTop - but don't be paranoid about locking it in safe (we found that even safes on Sapphire were not big enough). Make sure every thing is backed up and held secure at home.

Apart from some work, we used laptops to store photos down loaded from cameras so we always had enough memory available - especially important if using video ! Its great to be able to view each days filming on a semi decent screen size.

We also used laptop as a DVD player and CD player - good idea with kids. Don't foprget to take discs!;)

You can use the laptop screen, but depending on your connections and leads available you can also use the incabin TV.

cheers

i was a bit wary about a laptop so i used to hide it under the bed for the first few days, then it was left out never any problems, definitely great for saving photos etc daily, our cabin tv did not have anywhere to plug anything in,

The laptop won't fit in the safe but don't worry about it. We found that we could leave absolutely anything out with no problems. I used an old house staff check (I used to live in PNG) and left some cash in the bed. It was left on the desk next to the laptop!

You can use the laptop screen, but depending on your connections and leads available you can also use the incabin TV.

cheers

General discussion is that most ships here do not have auxilliary ports available to plug cameras or game consoles into the TV's. Don't know if this will change as they replace old TV's with flat panel monitors.

TV's in AB on Sun Princess do not have any auxilliary connections.

The laptop won't fit in the safe but don't worry about it. We found that we could leave absolutely anything out with no problems. I used an old house staff check (I used to live in PNG) and left some cash in the bed. It was left on the desk next to the laptop!

I used to live in PNG too, long time ago I'm afraid in the '60's and '70's in Boroko.:)

Thanks guys .nice know that the lap top and stuff will be safe. Will be handy to load our photos on as well as hubby checking emails. (Wish he'd realise annual leave means just that- leave from work.) Also didn't cross my mind to chuck in a few disks for watching DVD's on for the kids . Would have prob cursed myself when got on boat . Hopefully the kids will be having so much fun they won"t have time.

Relief to know that the two kids clubs are joined by a door. The other family we are travelling with have two kids in shark shack as well as my son, but because my daughter is 6 and half not 7, she isn't allowed in the older group due to age restrictions. She was very upset by this when we told her that she wouldn't be in with the other 3, but guess rules are rules. one p& o staff said we could always ask the purser on board if there is room and they might accomodate her, but a work mate who rang up last month to try and get her family on said it was closed for 7 -12 year olds. Sure she'll cope . ( I hope )

Christine .Hi , joined roll call already . Not many of us on there. Hopefully the ship will be half empyty . :D We requested plaza deck midship as i get car sick in the back of a car down windy roads . ( not great in the far back of a tarago down the very windy roads of northern New Zealand i can tell you and not great even on a swing) So hope the upgrade fairy doesn't "upgrade" us . The least amount of movement the better.

Yep very excited and very over due for a holiday.

Will pack reef shoes just incase .

TSJE4 i think hubby will not be checking his emails very often, the internet is 75 cents a minute and it is very slow, i had the same intentions but gave up very quickly,

have a great cruise

cheers steve

Hi TSJE4,

Like you, I get motion sick on winding roads. I suggest you read some of the threads on sea sickness. I recommend that you take a few different remedies with you. If one doesn't work, you can try another.

Have a fantastic cruise.:):)

TSJE4 i think hubby will not be checking his emails very often, the internet is 75 cents a minute and it is very slow, i had the same intentions but gave up very quickly,

have a great cruise

cheers steve

With a laptop, the price is a bit cheaper - at last mention @ 50c\min. The plus with the laptop as well is to DL the messages and disconnect while reading and typing replies.

I found the transfer speed OK, but the pings were terrible - which is typical of a satellite connection.

Would have worked out really cheap for us, if it wasn't for the lure of Cruisecritic! :)

I was there from 1989 to 2001, had a house in Korobosea.

A little later than me, then you would have seen the modern PNG.

I grew up there and came back to Australia for school. I would love to go back and see it all now and was tempted to book the Rhapsody cruise that calls in to Moresby for a day. But many of my friends have said leave the memories where they are as a visit now could be quite disappointing. The old Plantations in Sogeri are gone as are the homes and the country club. My father had a business in Tabari place.

A little later than me, then you would have seen the modern PNG.

I grew up there and came back to Australia for school. I would love to go back and see it all now and was tempted to book the Rhapsody cruise that calls in to Moresby for a day. But many of my friends have said leave the memories where they are as a visit now could be quite disappointing. The old Plantations in Sogeri are gone as are the homes and the country club. My father had a business in Tabari place.

Lots of us around I was in Lae in the early 70's. My uncle was in Boroko at the same time.

I am visiting Rabaul on our March cruise first trip back..funny thing about memories, yes it is sad to see changes not necessarily for the better but wonderful to remember the times we got a chance to spend there. We used to scuba all weekend and have lobster sandwiches!

Anytime I am in the Pacific there is a smell of wet earth and vegetation and coconuts which instantly takes me back.

My friends recommend the Orion to visit New Guinea they say it is a fabulous trip...I will need to save more pennies after the 42 nighter!

Lots of us around I was in Lae in the early 70's. My uncle was in Boroko at the same time.

I am visiting Rabaul on our March cruise first trip back..funny thing about memories, yes it is sad to see changes not necessarily for the better but wonderful to remember the times we got a chance to spend there. We used to scuba all weekend and have lobster sandwiches!

Anytime I am in the Pacific there is a smell of wet earth and vegetation and coconuts which instantly takes me back.

My friends recommend the Orion to visit New Guinea they say it is a fabulous trip...I will need to save more pennies after the 42 nighter!

Yep, there is a lot of us around:) It certainly was a fantastic way of life. I met someone on the Pacific Sun cruise who was from there and he said to me, "I still eat salty plums"!

The Orion expeditions are quite expensive, but they do take people to pretty amazing places.

I certainly envy you, a 42 nighter would be wonderful. And I could relate to the pennies being depleted after that one!

HI!

Have to agree on the laptop comments - we left ours lying around all the time (usually amongst all the other mess!) - never any concern about it's security. Safes definitley are not big enough for laptop! There are high little shelves above the wardrobe that are quite deep if you wanted to put it out of view.

Pizzas are about $7 - and are delicious!! A couple of nights we just sat around the pool with take away pizza (rather than wrangle 7 kids age 1 - 13 out of the pool and into a dining room!). Very relaxing - especially after port days at the beach! Then you can just go and grab some fruit/desert from the buffet - toooooo easy!!!

Mystery Island - take your reef shoes particularly if you want to snorkle! We found them at Big W and Target - for big and little people!

I am sure that your daughter will have a great time in Turtle Cove - the activities are great. Kids are amazing in that they seem to 'click' so much quicker than adults - alot of kids on our cruise were travelling without friends/siblings so were looking for new playmates!! Our group had my daughter (age 3 1/2) and another little girls age 5 - they had a great time (as did the older kids in Shark Shack!). Try to make sure that you get their names down for the tour of the bridge - it will be listed on the 'pacific daily' for their centre - try to go down and put their name down first thing in the morning even if they are not going there until later. They only do it once and there is always more kids wanting to do it than spots available! All our kids did it and thought it was pretty special (particularly as the adults do NOT get chance to see the bridge).

Pagers were great for the Turtle Cove kids - I am pretty sure that our friend's little girl (age 7) in the Shark Shack had one too (her older brother age 11 was able to sign himself in and out). Often our little girl would simply want to check in and say hi - then keep on with her very busy day!

Have a great time planing for your trip - happy packing!

Dea

Can't resist adding my time in PNG from 1984 -1987 at 14 mile. Did my shopping in Boroko mostly. Wouldn't mind calling in to Moresby on a cruise to see what has changed. I imagine the big 9 mile village has grown even more with people coming down from the highlands. We had to leave because of hubby and daughters health.

Yes PNG has certainly changed, but I brought I bit with me when I left, my wife is from Central :)

My Uncle (PNG style) still runs a plantation in Sogeri although the road up that was has deteriorated somewhat.

I have spent many an enjoyable evening at the golf club in Lae, or even the yachtie at Voco Point - you should see the new yachtie in POM!

I was in Rabaul the week before the volcanoes went off in 94, I went back a couple of months after and it was a real mess, the last time I was there was in 2001 and Tavurvur was still throwing rocks the size of houses out.

hmmm, us PNG'ers seem to have hijacked this thread, I might have to set up another forum for us.

EDIT: ok, tis done http://www.braiding.id.au/png for all you expats.

Yes PNG has certainly changed, but I brought I bit with me when I left, my wife is from Central :)

My Uncle (PNG style) still runs a plantation in Sogeri although the road up that was has deteriorated somewhat.

I have spent many an enjoyable evening at the golf club in Lae, or even the yachtie at Voco Point - you should see the new yachtie in POM!

I was in Rabaul the week before the volcanoes went off in 94, I went back a couple of months after and it was a real mess, the last time I was there was in 2001 and Tavurvur was still throwing rocks the size of houses out.

hmmm, us PNG'ers seem to have hijacked this thread, I might have to set up another forum for us.

EDIT: ok, tis done www.braiding.id.au/png for all you expats.

Thanks, have joined maybe we can all go on the Rhapsody to Moresby although I think it's pretty much all booked out. Back on topic:)

Archived