Oosterdam 5/31

annie2

Just back from an amazing week on the Oosterdam. We had booked an sz guarantee and 10 days prior were assigned two SS cabins. At the pier we were assigned two SA cabins. This was totally unexpected and our friends in the other cabin almost refused it thinking 7000 numbers were not as good as our original 8000 numbers! Prior to the cruise I didnt think the Suite perks were a big deal but having experienced them is a different story. We ate breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill every morning and never saw more than two other couples when we went. The dry cleaning was a nice perk as well as morning coffee and latte's in the Neptune lounge. The size of the stateroom was larger than our daughter's first Manhattan apartment! As usual, the cabin steward and dining room stewards were wonderful and friendly. The weather was typical for Alaska. Mostly mild seas except one night we had moderate seas. Juneau was sunny and partly cloudy which was good as we had arranged for self guided kayaks on Mendenhall with Alaska Above and Beyond. That was outstanding but not recommended for those without prior experience. Sitka was rainy and we rented a kayak there as well. A little too cold kayaking for me! Ketchikan started off showery but became sunny as we headed off for our float plane adventure. We did this last minute, arranged on the pier with ProMech. It was a "not to be missed" experience" and we saved over 100.00 by not booking on the ship. My favorite food on the Oosterdam were the cold soups, prime rib, and rack of lamb. I also enjoyed the variety of different salads each night. All in all a once in a lifetime vacation for us.

Welcome Home :) and Congratulations on that wonderful upgrade. So glad to hear that the Upgrade Fairy is well and actively distributing her upgrade fairy dust:D I will warn you that you will forever be spoiled and when you chose to cruise again it will be hard to have anything less;)

We were on the same May 31st cruise and echo the previous post. IT WAS WONDERFUL!!! Our cabin steward, Mano, was heaven in Indonesian clothes. Truly a wonderful experience - our second time to AK on the Oosterdam, but the first time and first cruise for three other couples sailing with us. They loved it as well. Our one disappointment was not getting as close to Hubbard as we did in 2006. Could hear the calving occassionally this time, but didn't see any. In 2006 - we were within 1 mile of the mighty glacier and had non-stop calving. Still and all, it was a terrific cruise. Food was fabulous, enjoyed the As-You-Wish dining, but mostly ate at the Lido with table service, which was just fine by us casual folks. Went to the dining room twice, and thoroughly enjoyed that as well. Tried a day pass to the Thermal Suites/Hydrotherapy pool - WOW! That is a must!

Saw tons of whales from the ship on our first sea day out of Seattle, and then again from Ketchikan to Victoria. Actually, we saw whales or Dall porpoise every single day! Went whale watching with Harv and Marv's in Juneau - what an experience! Jay was our guide (Marv this year!) and that man is like Tigger - bouncing off the walls with enthusiasm and excitement - its contagious! Had three humpback whales all to ourselves with no other boats around in a secluded cove - amazing! They were close enough to touch, swam right up to our boat!

Went seakayaking in Sitka - rainy, but quite an experience! Loved it! Did the Wilderness 4X4 Jeep/Canoe trip though the ship in Ketchikan, and that would be the only excursion we would have changed. We had some hot shot guide fresh from Las Vegas, who seemed to think we would all enjoy driving 50 mph up deeply rutted mountain roads, getting all banged up. Wrong! We were almost relieved when it was over - he went so fast and furious that we had no time to enjoy the scenery or the ride. We're not wusses either - we've got a 4 wheeler, and have gone off-roading many times, but this was plain torture! The canoe portion of the trip was very nice though, so it wasn't a total loss. Spoke to some folks who were on the excursion with us who felt the same as we did - in fact, they had enjoyed the tour so much two years prior, that they brought their young children and in-laws with them, so they were VERY disappointed with the experience this time. Oh well, can't have everything, and it CERTAINLY didn't spoil our trip!

I was missing the wonderful HAL staff the minute we walked off the ship on Saturday. Can't believe they sailed on without us - lol!!! It was a great trip, and we can't wait to do it again! Hope all of you that have Alaskan cruises planned in the coming weeks and months enjoy them to the fullest! We sure did!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome Home and Congratulations on that wonderful upgrade. So glad to hear that the Upgrade Fairy is well and actively distributing her upgrade fairy dust I will warn you that you will forever be spoiled and when you chose to cruise again it will be hard to have anything less

You are right about that! Holland America probably made a wise move upgrading us.

The wife and I were also on this trip and I am only now easing my way out of withdrawal symptoms.

What a great trip! We too revceived an upgrade from an SZ guarantee to an SC (6169) with the FANTASTIC wrap around balcony.

I second the cudos on breakfast in the PG and doing the float plane to Misty Fjords. Raid the retirement account if you have to but see this if it all possible.

So, let me get this straight, I have to work all week? :(

For those of you looking forward to your Oosterdam trip to AK I sincerly hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

So how close are the ships getting to the Glacier, and for reference how close can they get or have they in the past? Not getting close and the overall itinerary were why we ended up sailing on the W'dam, which we loved. Originally I had selected the O'dam and may still take that cruise at the end of the season.

Although not anywhere near as large, we were so close to Margerie Glacier that it made for a memorable experience to say the least.

The wife and I were also on this trip and I am only now easing my way out of withdrawal symptoms.

What a great trip! We too revceived an upgrade from an SZ guarantee to an SC (6169) with the FANTASTIC wrap around balcony.

I second the cudos on breakfast in the PG and doing the float plane to Misty Fjords. Raid the retirement account if you have to but see this if it all possible.

So, let me get this straight, I have to work all week? :(

For those of you looking forward to your Oosterdam trip to AK I sincerly hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

I feel your withdrawl pain! It seems that sz guarantees were golden on the Oosterdam 5/31!

"What a great trip! We too received an upgrade from an SZ guarantee to an SC (6169) with the FANTASTIC wrap around balcony"

NetwrkEng...your comment quickly got my attention because I shall be in that great cabin early next year and i can not find anywhere a good picture of the Balcony....would you be kind enough to post one if you have same.

Archived