vaccinations for vanuatu and new cal

TSJE4

Hi there . Another question. All family had flu shots ( poor miss 6 has to have hers twice due to age ) Read conflicting advice re hep A shots and malaria tabs for Vanuatu and New Caledonia . In particular W.H.O and smart traveller says yes esp maleria tabs ?? Ive also read that because we are not out at night , in port than its ok . i"m prepared to slather self with insect repellent. Is this enough? And i'm sure if you eat at reputable restaurants away ie in Villa then hep A shouldn't be an issue . Any of you experienced travellers got any advice before i go and see my friendly gp ? Don't wish to put family at risk but don't wish to fork out $$$ unnecessarily either . ( and slathering the kids with emla so they can be jabbed again) Thanks Sandi.

Hi there . Another question. All family had flu shots ( poor miss 6 has to have hers twice due to age ) Read conflicting advice re hep A shots and malaria tabs for Vanuatu and New Caledonia . In particular W.H.O and smart traveller says yes esp maleria tabs ?? Ive also read that because we are not out at night , in port than its ok . i"m prepared to slather self with insect repellent. Is this enough? And i'm sure if you eat at reputable restaurants away ie in Villa then hep A shouldn't be an issue . Any of you experienced travellers got any advice before i go and see my friendly gp ? Don't wish to put family at risk but don't wish to fork out $$$ unnecessarily either . ( and slathering the kids with emla so they can be jabbed again) Thanks Sandi.

Hi Sandi,

No vaccinations are required. You will probably not be eating ashore, but even if you decide to have a lobster meal on one of the islands, that will not put you at risk of the nasty problems. When we call into one of the ports we are not tempted to go to a restaurant. We get so much food on the ship, that a day sight-seeing and enjoying the place is more interesting than spending an hour or two sitting down to a full restaurant lunch. We have friends who also have been to Vila many many times, and they usually have lunch at Irririki resort.

When WHO recommends vaccinations, that is for people spending quite a period of time at the destination. It is wise to take insect repellent. The only time we have encountered mosquitos was on the walk to the cascades in Vila and also a couple of mozzies on Pentecost Island.

Have a fantastic cruise.:):)

Hi Sandi,

We've never had any vaccinations for the Islands. DH has his regular flu shot each year and that is it. :)

Precautions you can take to avoid tummy bugs and insect bites are:

• Aeroguard
  • Washing your hands before meals.
  • Only using the toilet in your own cabin instead of the public ones scattered around the ship. This becomes second nature and I don't even know where the public toilets are on the Sun and the Dawn. I've never used them.
  • As you suggested, only eating at better quality food outlets on the Islands. Refrigeration is non-existant in many places.

As with anything, common sense is all you need.

Have a great time.

Hi Jen,

I agree with the sentiment that it is better to use your own toilet rather than the public ones. Unfortunately I have 'short range tanks' and if I only used our own facilities, I would be spending a lot of my time running up and down stairs. After washing my hands thoroughly, I follow the advice posted on signs in the bathroom - I have a paper towel in my hand to open the doors that lead out of the bathroom. This in case the previous person has not washed their hands adequately. There is always a bin where you can dispose of the paper towel.:):)

I can relate to both Jen & Evon,

I know where the toilets are on Sun Princess, by constantly waiting outside for Barb. I did not use the public toilets onboard, but Barb also has short range tanks.

No shot can vaccinate against noro. You will have to rely on good hygiene, which can be affected by others around you. The other advice on this is comprehensive, and the sanitising gel in the dining areas is there for the same reason. I have also seen comments not to use handrails, but this is not always safe. Depending on the rocking of the ship and mobility of the person, it becomes a choice between hygiene or falling down the stairs.

We did a lap around Vila's Island (Efate) in December and did not see a mozzie. The same for the other stops as well. Seems the mozzies come out in the evening when the ship is leaving for open waters.

The only food we consumed ashore was a hamper lunch provided by Princess for our all day tour. We returned to the ship for lunch at all of the other stops. Plenty of bottled water is available to take ashore.

Archived