Sailing Out Of Ensenada ???

preciouscheryl

First, how are you getting to the ship from your pre-cruise? Did you book transfers with your air?

Most fly into and leave from San Diego so that is where I'd spend a pre-cruise unless you want to spend it in Ensenada and get a local taxi to the pier. Some of the hotels in Ensenada where check-in takes place for bus arrivals look pretty nice. Can't remember any names, though.

Sammy

Sammy..thanks for the info! That helps me a lot! I am going to attempt to use my sky miles. Guess I will have to pay for transfers to the pier. Do you know how far San Diego airport is from ship?

Figure two hours to Ensenada from the airport, maybe a little longer if they make a pit-stop. The ride should be relatively pleasant and along the coast most of the way.

We flew into San Diego for a pre-cruise stay and did a ship's transfer to Ensenada. The trip was not unpleasant and a box lunch was provided for the trip. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again.

We sailed on the Serenade last May out of Ensenada and took the RCI transfer from the San Diego airport. The trip was not unpleasant, but there was no box lunch - only a bottle of water and a granola bar. :eek: We had heard that previous cruises had gotten box lunches so we expected to find one...boy, were we surprised! If I did it again, I would make a quick stop at the McD's and grab a burger to "hedge my bets." ;) The trip itself took a little over 3 hours from the time we boarded the bus until we got in line to board the ship. Of course, some of this time was taken up waiting to check-in at the hotel in Ensenada. All in all, I would recommend that the RCI transfer would definitely be the way to go.

We are looking to sail Hawaii 5/7/05 on the Serenade, leaving out of Ensenada, Mexico. Any advice as to where we should fly into to enjoy a day or 2 pre-cruise?

Thanks!

Don't forget to sign up for the Meet and Mingle party.

Serenade was an absolutely gorgeous ship. The staff on the other hand....well, let's just say that it was their first sailing to Hawaii and it appeared that in some cases their first sailing anywhere! LOL! Hopefully their staff is better trained now. Would I book her again? In a heartbeat!!! Have a fantastic trip!

Hotels in San Diego will depend on what you plan to do. Hotel Circle is central, but not very scenic. You can find some deals on Priceline or Hotels.com in that area. Downtown is more expensive, but close to the port, Seaport Village, the Gaslamp Quarter (restaurants and clubs) and Horton Plaza shopping center. Hotel Circle would be better if you plan to do the Zoo, Sea World, Old Town or the Wild Animal Park. You need a car to sightsee in San Diego...public transportation is not very good and is VERY slow. Drive to Coronado and La Jolla if you have a chance. There is a very nice 49 mile scenic drive you can take in about 3 hours if you don't stop long at any location. Try to get out to the Cabrillo National Monument if the weather is clear...one of the best views on the west coast. Of course I am biased, as a San Diego native!

Take the cruise ship transfers to Ensenada. You cannot take a rental car across the border, and you do NOT want to drive in Mexico anyway. It is safer and you won't have to worry about getting there in time. The buses leave from the San Diego airport, and as above, it takes about 3 hours for the 100 miles or so with the traffic and crossing the border.

Archived