I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

My concern about returning the cards is that I don't know if the cards will work or not. For example a gift card is just a plastic card unless it is activated by the seller ahead of time. With my luck I will return the cards that the seller activated and end up with the non-activated cards and then have to pay double to get more cards since they say the cards cannot be returned.:o See my problem? Are these cards like gift cards we buy in the states or special membership cards that need to be activated? If not, then I will just return them when we get to Copenhagen in a few weeks. If so, then I will hold on to all of them and when we get there figure out which ones are activated.

Regarding someone's question about how long it took to reach California and the cost, I ordered them on 4/21 I think and they mailed them to us on 4/22/10. We received the first set on 4/26/10 and the second on 4/28/10. The cost for the two 72 hour cards was 918 DKK and 20 DKK process fee. They charge 10 DKK per card via internet order. I hope this helps!:)

Why is this even an issue? You received something you didn't pay for by mistake. You have an immediate duty to notify Copenhagen NOW and return them. If Copenhagen says keep them, then fine. If you don't notify them, or get permission to keep and utimately use the cards, it is theft. You inaction (or delay) is also causing harm.

We have contacted the Visitors Center and are still waiting a response which is why I submitted my question on the board. Our friends have ordered and received their cards now. Thank you Danish Viking for your comment.

We have contacted the Visitors Center and are still waiting a response which is why I submitted my question on the board. Our friends have ordered and received their cards now. Thank you Danish Viking for your comment.

Just checked my email and received our response finally from the Visitors Bureau. All is fine and thank you for your help!

I searched this thread and couldn't find any reference to the

HOTEL ANSGAR

near the train station. We are three adults traveling together so that somewhat affects our planning. Does anyone have any experience or comments regarding HOTEL ANSGAR or its environs?

Thanks,

Greg

I ordered the 72 hour Copenhagen Cards for my husband and myself two weeks ago. On Monday we received six 24 hour Copenhagen Cards and one 24 hour Child Copenhagen Card. On Wednesday we received another envelope with two 72 hour Copenhagen Cards. We were only charged for the two 72 hour Copenhagen Cards. Does anyone know if we can give them to some friends and will they still work? The cards are non-refundable. Thanks.:o

I know the Copenhagen Card web site is somewhat limited. Try to find a contact link on the site and ask them what to do with the cards. Simply mailing them back is not a good choice unless directed. It may created more problems with the cards you intend to use. As you mentioned, they can be returned to the tourist office in Copenhagen if you can't make contact with the distributor before traveling.

I searched this thread and couldn't find any reference to the

HOTEL ANSGAR

near the train station. We are three adults traveling together so that somewhat affects our planning. Does anyone have any experience or comments regarding HOTEL ANSGAR or its environs?

Thanks, Greg

Hi, Greg! If you go to:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189541-d237639-Reviews-Hotel_Ansgar-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

you will see lots of reviews and comments on this hotel. The hotel seems decent and well-located. It's not fancy, nor high-end. TripAdvisor's popularity index ranked it as #59 of 123 hotels in Copenhagen. It is kind near the back of the train station. It is listed as .2 miles from the Central Station and .3 miles from Tivoli Gardens. Most of comments consider it a decent "value" place. We are staying at "The Square". We had early gotten a decent price there many months ago.

We're two months, exactly, away from the start of the July 1-16 cruise. You need to check in on the Silversea board and make some updated posting. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We actually booked several months ago also, just seeing if there was personal opinions. Free internet (like at The Square) and breakfast included was big deal for us. Since we are staying there the night before our cruise AND the night before we fly home (after our 6 day post cruise adventure) they are also letting us leave some of our cruise luggage there while we drive about. The Square's location looks SUPER. Are you there just the night before or for a couple of nights?

Greg

We actually booked several months ago also, just seeing if there was personal opinions. Free internet (like at The Square) and breakfast included was big deal for us. Since we are staying there the night before our cruise AND the night before we fly home (after our 6 day post cruise adventure) they are also letting us leave some of our cruise luggage there while we drive about. The Square's location looks SUPER. Are you there just the night before or for a couple of nights?

Greg

We are staying there just one night prior at The Square. Our friends from Columbus on this cruise will be there in Copenhagen for three nights staying at the home of in-laws-to-be. Their soon to be family relation is now based in Copenhagen with the World Health Organization. We'll fly out after the cruise. We saw much of Copenhagen during out 2008 Baltics cruise and super loved the town, its architecture, character, charm, etc.

Being able to leave your cruise luggage there at that hotel is a nice plus. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Does anyone know if there is free internet anywhere in Copenhagen.....closest to the cruise ship pier would be best.

If not free, where is it most reasonably price? most available to obtain a spot to plug in? I'd rather pay than waste lots of time waiting.

So as not to have to read 1800+ postings - we will be arriving on the NCL Sun. How far is it from the cruise line pier to the center of town and how close is the HOHO bus line to the cruise line pier? Justing trying to figure out if we need to book an NCL tour or do Copenhagen on our own. We will only be in port one day.

Thanks for your help:)

@ travelite

I can´t seem to find any information about free internet in Copenhagen inless you gonna ttake the S-train :)

@ iflyrc5

Norwegian Sun will be docking both at Langelinie and Freeport terminal so i need a date to help you.

@ travelite

@ iflyrc5

Norwegian Sun will be docking both at Langelinie and Freeport terminal so i need a date to help you.

We will be in Copenhagen on the NCL Sun on June 18th, 2010 from 9am to 6pm. We want to basically just see the sites and also take one of the canal boat tours. There are 6 of us traveling together all in our early to mid 60's.

Thanks - any thoughts or ideas for getting around and what not to miss would be great.:)

I can see that you are docked at the freeport terminal and it is a friday so you could just take bus number 26 into Copenhagen.

It will reach both Rosenborg, Amalienborg, Nyhavn (canal tour) Kongens Nytorv (start of Strøget shopping street), Thorvaldsens Museum, The National Museum, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and finally Tivoli and the other end of Strøget.

But just remember that the bus goes in two directions back to the port, one branch to Langelinie pier and one branch to Færgehavn Nord that you will have to use.

Danish viking - First of all, thanks so much for the valuable information you have provided....we're kind of "late to the party" so-to-speak; we'll be in Copenhagen in August for a couple of days before our cruise.

Just a couple of questions.......can we use our credit cards these days; or, is the "chip" issue still a problem?

Any suggestions on tours? We saw a "personal" tour site - 3 hours - that seemed interesting. We'd like to see Copenhagen from a local's perspective.

We'll be at The Radisson SAS Hotel near the Central Station; across from Tivoli, which we will also visit (but NOT eat at the Pirate Ship:() - any other dining ideas would be appreciated.

Any suggestions or ideas would be most welcome......and again, thanks!

John/Rick

:p

The chip issue is NOT a problem. ALL point of sale terminals can also read the magnetic stripe, and I am 100 % certain about that! There are three remaining issues, though: 1. Not all businesses accept credit cards even though they have point of sale terminals, in many shops these are only good for the danish debit card "Dankort" and are not set up for international credit cards, because the merchant doesn't want to (costs being too high), but the situation is improving, as more and more merchants now accept credit cards, now also supermarkets. Check the signs at the shops door or ask. Don't rely on the fact that a POS terminal present in the shop necessarily means credit cards accepted! 2: Shops are allowed to add up to 3.75% on the bill when you pay with a foreign credit card, and many do. 3: What might be an issue is the PIN. Some merchants will require a PIN number to be entered to make purchases go through, also on credit cards with magnetic stripe only. I know they are supposed to accept a signature only, but some merchants are unwilling to. At least train stations will not process tickets without a PIN. I can't comment whether any PIN punched into the keyboard will work as previously mentioned in another post. It could be interesting to do some research on this matter but I can't do this research since I only have Danish issued debit and credit cards, and here you need a PIN for sure.

We will be in the Baltics for 3 weeks in June with 3 nights pre-cruise in Copenhagen (at the Square). Packing for this trip is more challenging than any other cruise I have taken because I know it is likely to be rather cool. But I can’t imagine I would need more than a sweatshirt and a very light jacket? Any opinions or advice on this? I think I’ve read to expect temps in the high 60’s for that time of year. Is that about right?

Also a silly question, should I bring insect repellent? I’d prefer to leave it behind if mosquitoes aren’t an issue yet, and I’m guessing they wouldn’t be if it’s still rather cool.

Thanks for your input.

Brenda

At hotels and shops with many tourists, PIN's are usually not required. Also, I believe all terminals can be switched to accept signatures as well, but in some lesser touristy places, either the clerk doesn't know how to do or doesn't want to because of liability issues. AFAIK, The merchand will not get reimbursed from the bank in case of fraud, if a PIN hasn't been used, at least on Danish issued cards.

We will be in the Baltics for 3 weeks in June with 3 nights pre-cruise in Copenhagen (at the Square). Packing for this trip is more challenging than any other cruise I have taken because I know it is likely to be rather cool. But I can’t imagine I would need more than a sweatshirt and a very light jacket? Any opinions or advice on this? I think I’ve read to expect temps in the high 60’s for that time of year. Is that about right?

Also a silly question, should I bring insect repellent? I’d prefer to leave it behind if mosquitoes aren’t an issue yet, and I’m guessing they wouldn’t be if it’s still rather cool.

Thanks for your input.

Brenda

To be honest, we were there in August, and never even thought about bug repellent or mosquitos.

Cheers

Len

Thanks for your input.

Brenda

Forget the insect repellent and pack a bathing suit and a pair of shorts. I swam in the Baltic in June and wore shorts and short sleeves during most days. As any where in the world, temperatures and weather are unpredictable. It will be cooler at sea and on the water at night....bring a light weight scarf to wrap around your neck. Best to dress in layers.

I can see that you are docked at the freeport terminal and it is a friday so you could just take bus number 26 into Copenhagen.

It will reach both Rosenborg, Amalienborg, Nyhavn (canal tour) Kongens Nytorv (start of Strøget shopping street), Thorvaldsens Museum, The National Museum, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and finally Tivoli and the other end of Strøget.

But just remember that the bus goes in two directions back to the port, one branch to Langelinie pier and one branch to Færgehavn Nord that you will have to use.

We will be in Copenhagen on the Eurodam on the June 11th and would like to know if this information would work for us too. We've looked at the ship tours and their nothing that really appeals to us. So we are looking at doing it on our own. From the Port Info I see that we are at quay 254. Is that near the bus line? Whats the best method to pay for the bus? I've tried to read through the posts, but its hard to glean any information as simple search terms give too many hits. Is there a summary of the various information getting around via bus for tourists available?

TIA

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Where can I purchase the 10 ticket bus/transportation card in the cruise ship pier area?

Can tickets be purchased from bus drivers? on the train?

Taking bus #26 from the cruise ship pier to Tivoli -- how many zones is that considered for stamping the 10 ticket bus card?

Is there a web link that shows the travel zones?

10 ticket cards are available at staffed stations, staffed kiosks like 7-eleven and newspaper stores. Cruise ports being within city limits are always 2 zones to any other point within city limits. It's always 3 zones from city to the airport. 10 trip clip cards are available in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and all (9) zones, although 2 and 3 zones are by far the most common for you. The cards - and even the individual stampings - can be combined and shared in any possible way as long as you remember one rule: the minimum fare is 2 zones per person. Eg. two persns travelling to the airport (3 zones) can stamp a 3 zone card two times or a two zone card three times or again a six zone card once. a journey can also be made of multiple (different) cards, e.g. one stamping on a 2 zone card and one stamping on a 3 zone card gives you possibility to ride in 5 zones. The fare system is the same for all public transportation in greater Copenhagen area (bus, train (S-train and regional trains) and metro, and there is unlimited transfer between them, once you have paid the fare. You must board the last train, bus metro within 1 hour from the time you have stamped for 2 and 3 zones). All these zone cards are also available as individual tickets, and the same rules apply to tickets, but the price is almost double. Bus drivers only sell individual tickets and only take small denominations (they used to sell 2 and 3 zone cards as well, but this was stopped due to some robberies). There is no ticket sales on the trains themselves, only at the stations. There are no gates or turnstiles, you travel on the honor system (or fear of getting caught if you havent't paid-system), and it's well over $100, if you are caught without valid ticket! The website for all of this is http://www.movia.dk, click on tourist, and then tourist Guide UK and "Bus and train". They just got a new homepage set up, so there are some links missing, there is no link to the zone maps and the fare table in the english version, unfortunately.

The fastest way is to take the train to Farum where extra busses is driving between Farum on line A and H and Birkerød and Hillerød on Line E.

But it will still be around 20-30 minutes longer in travel time.

But the new schedule is not revealed yet

But to be precise

There are busses on all the line between Svanemøllen and Hillerød from 5th of June og 8th of August.

But this line is around 30 kilometers long so it´s a long bus trip.

From 8th of August some of the line is ready and the train will be able to go all the way to Lyngby.

So from 8th of August to 26th of September there will only be busses from Lyngby to Hillerød.

we are planning this trip for May 20th or 21st. can i assume we will run into the same detours and delays?

Archived