I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Celle, are we going on the same cruise? August 12-23? I called RCCL, they guarantee if the flight is after 12 noon, they will bring you to the airport on time - if I remember correctly, the cruise shuttle is $20 per person, and this would be so easy! Unfortunately our flight is earlier.

Yes, I think we're on the same cruise - Vision OTS, Norwegian Fjords and Arctic Circle.

Yes, our flight is earlier, too - 11:35, to be precise. Our only alternative was late that evening, which would get us to our destination too late that night, as we have at least 1.5 hours of land travel at the other end.

I think we'll ask for self-disembark and get off as early as we can. If we have extra time at the airport, at least we will be there!

Hope to see you on board Vision!

Caryl (aka Celle)

Celle, we may be on the same flight home :D Delta to Atlanta?

We hope to get off early to catch a taxi.

No, we're not going so far!

We're on easyJet to Gatwick - going to spend a couple more weeks in the UK with our adult kids, who live there.

Hi Danish Viking,

If you have the time, would you please review our drafted itinerary for our pre-cruise stay in Copenhagen. This is our first visit to Denmark.

Our SAS flight is scheduled to arrive on Monday, July 11TH @ approx 7:30am. We are staying at the Radisson BLU. Assuming our flight is ontime:), I anticipate we'll arrive at our hotel (Via taxi), between 9-9:30am. I presume our room will not be ready at that time. I've contacted the hotel, and they have a secured area where we can leave our baggage while we sightsee.

We were planning to spend the day as follows:

1) Walk from the hotel to Gammel Strand and take the DFDS canal tour.

2) Go to Christiansborg Slot (Palace).

3) Walk over to Amalienborg Palace.

4) Walk over to Rosenborg Slot (Castle).

5) Walk to the Round Tower

6) Walk back toward hotel via Stroget.

Sometime during the course of the day I will have to try a hot dog with chocolate milk, since in a previous post you mentioned it was very popular. I will also have to navigate our way to La Glace to satisfy our cake cravings.:p

7)Check into our room at the hotel, and rest up a bit.

8) After dinner, go to Tivoli and stay for the Illuminations Show.

We are planning to purchase Copenhagen Cards. Would have liked to take in Nationalmuseet & New Carlsberg Glyptotek, but it seems they are closed on Mondays.

We need some suggestions for lunch & dinner. For lunch looking for a good place to have a quality Smorrebrod. For dinner I was thinking of Geranium, or if I want to go high end, Formel B. or Noma.

Do you think our proposed itinerary is doable & practical? Any comments, suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Stay well,

Anthony

I have found this board to be extremely helpful in finding out about getting to town (Tivoli area) after disembarking (in the Freeport pier area) on a Friday.

I know that bus 26 will take me to town, but was wondering if it is difficult to find the bus stop after disembarking? I do not know the exact pier number we will be docking on, but after disembarking is it (fairly) easy to find the bus stop?

Thanks again,

Jim

@ FSUJim

You just have to exit the main gate to the Freeport and then the bus stop will be just outside.

@ CorgiGuy

Is it the radisson Blu Royal, Falconer or Scandinavia that you are staying in.

Your schedule looks fine but its gonna be a long day, but why not take the canal tour from Nyhavn because that would be enroute to Amalienborg.

When you gonna order the hotdog just make sure that you'll not get a French Hotdog but a sausage with bread.

You willl find La Glace next to Strøget so you can catch it on the start of the tour or in the end.

For a good quality smørrebrød i would suggest Ida Davidsen close to Amalienborg and the Marble Church.

The dinner suggestions are a little bit more difficult, Geranium is closed but the 2 main chefs started Geranium2 and that one is located just outside Parken Stadium.

For Noma you need to book months ahead an especially after they got awarded to the worlds best restaurant.

But also some of the other Michelin restaurants would be a good option, The Paul and Herman in Tivoli both has one star.

But please ask more questions if this wasn't enough.

Is CitySafari still in business? They haven't responded to emails about booking a tour with them.

Our alternative is Biking with Mike. Is it necessary to pre-book or can about 6 of us just show up the day of the tour?

Upon disembarking, is it possible to store bags at the port, visit the city and then go back to airport for an afternoon flight? We are arriving via Eurodam, Holland America early in the morning around 6 or 7.

:confused: I read that free bicycles are available all over the city but are they also at the cruise terminal?

I intend to drop the luggage at the hotel and then go and park the car at the terminal and maybe come back by bike.

Also I read that I need to go inside the terminal to ask for parking the car - is this correct ?

Unfortunately we will only bein Copenhagen from 8-8 and we have scheduled a segway tour at 2 p.m. which runs about 2 hours. I am trying to maximize our time for the rest of our day and also trying to decide which palace to go to visit. I had thought of the following itinerary

8:30 - 9 - leave ship - take 26 bus to downtown

9:30 - 10:30 walk around

11:30- take palace tour at 11:30 -

1:00 - head to Segway tour located near Little Mermaid and eat lunch

2:00 - 4:00 p.m. - Segway tour

4:00 - 4:30 p.m. - head to Tivili Gardens

5:00 - 6:30 p.m. - Tivili

6:30 - head to ship - take a taxi? - cost?

Are we being overly ambitious or should we forego something? Should we head to the palace first as it might be overly crowded for the first english tour? I also noticed that there is a Gammel Strand flea market on that day as well - is this worth visiting?

Thanks for helping us out.

We will be staying in Copenghagen post cruise for 3 days in early August. We have been to Copenhagen twice before for a very short time (about a day in both cases), but have already seen the not-to-miss venues: Tivoli, The Little Mermaid, the Royal Palace, and walked the Stroget. What are the best 10 places to see in and around the City on our three day stay this time around? We plan to buy the Copenhagen 72-hour cards.

We also are curious if most food venues will be opened in early August, such as the La Glance etc.

Thank you

@ rubens

THe city bikes is only allowed inside the downtown area so there are no bikes at the freeport area.

http://www.bycyklen.dk/english/thecitybikezone.aspx

I can´t answer the other question but the guards at the entrance to the freeport can most likely give you a answer.

@ nationaltreasure79

You will need the 4 zone version instead of the standart 2 zone stamping card.

But is is under half the price compared to ten 4 zone oneway tickets.

You just stamp it 5 time each way

You also have to note that the northern S-train lines are closed in the summer months during some major repairworks.

But you simply just take the Øresund train instead that also skips 5 stops on the way to Klampenborg compared to the S-train so it is quicker.

@ pant21

places like La Glace and Lagkagehuset are open all year round.

My own personalized top 10 looks like this.

Strøget

Tivoli

Canal and/or harbour tour from Nyhavn

Rosenborg Castle

Copenhagen Zoo - you simply must see the new elephant house by Sir Norman Foster

Amalienborg Castle

The National Museum

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek

The Resistance Museum

The Round Tower

+ the churches are also worth checking out

places outside Copenhagen where transportation is covered with the CPH Card and entrance some places.

Kronborg Castle

Frederiksborg Castle

The Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde

The open Air Museum and Brede Works in Lyngby

My hometown Køge :)

Bakken - The worlds oldest amusement park located inside a huge deergarden.

@ kuddles 2008

What pier are your ship docked at and witch day are you in port?

What castle are you talking about? Amalienborg, Rosenborg or Christiansborg.

If the segway tour ends near the little mermaid you will not be able to walk to Tivoli in 30 minutes.

The Little Mermaid is also in China this year just so you know.

@nationaltreasure79: It's 4 zones from Central Copenhagen (Vesterport) to Klampenborg. So for 5 persons (adults), you could buy a 4-zone card and stamp it 5 times each way. Children under 12 years old are free (max 2 cfree children per adult), children aged 12 to 15 are half price.

If you are going to Hillerød (Frederiksborg) as well, note that the railway line to Hillerød (but not to Klampenborg and Helsingør is closed this summer. This is mentioned in a previous post. There will be a bus service as replacement, but this will of course be slower.

I got news about the track repairworks north of Copenhagen (trains to open air museum and frederiksborg castle)

People taking the trip must look at this map.

http://www.dsb-nyespor.dk/svanemoellen-hilleroed/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/S-tog_Nye_Spor_togbusser-update.pdf

So S-train line A and H to Farum and S-tog´s bus from Farum to Hillerød were the castle is located.

The regular travel time is 40 minutes but with the new schedule it is 65 minutes.

So does this train leave from Central station?

We will want to take line E to Hillerod by the directions.

The fastest way is to take the train to Farum where extra busses is driving between Farum on line A and H and Birkerød and Hillerød on Line E.

But it will still be around 20-30 minutes longer in travel time.

@ nationaltreasure79

Both the Øresund trains and the S-trains depart from the central station.

But the detour over Farum is only for the trip to Hillerød and Frederiksborg Castle.

When you are going to Klampenborg you dont need to change train.

But make sure that you get on the Øresund train to Nivå and not Helsingør/Elsinore because this train will not stop in Klampenborg.

you will have to look for departures from København H (central station) at XX:08, XX:28 and XX:58.

they do normally depart from track 3 and 4 (same platform) but look at the monitors when you arrive at the station.

@ kuddles 2008

What pier are your ship docked at and witch day are you in port?

What castle are you talking about? Amalienborg, Rosenborg or Christiansborg.

If the segway tour ends near the little mermaid you will not be able to walk to Tivoli in 30 minutes.

The Little Mermaid is also in China this year just so you know.

Sorry Danish viking I should have been clearer. We dock at Longeline (sp?) on Friday - we thought Rosenburg would be the castle to visit - as I said we are only in port for such a short time - thanks so much for your help. Is the itinerary a little too ambitious?

Danish Viking- Your information is so helpful. We wish to go from Copenhagen to both Kronborg Castle and Fredericksborg Castle in the same day (19 June). I am reading about the S-Train route being under repair. Can we still do this route, and use our Copenhagen Card? Our plan was to go to Kronborg first, then by local train to Fredericksborg, then return to Copenhagen from there. Our Hotel is Christian IV and we plan to leave from Osterport Sta., and return to Norreport Sta. Is this correct? Thank you, since I am concerned now if this is possible.

Sherry

We are docking at Frihamin and I was told to take # 26 bus to the canal boats.Where will the bus # 26 be from the ship ( Disney Magic ).

Also, we have purchased the Copenhagen Card. Would a better option be to ride the HO HO bus ? We will have 2 children, one in a small stroller that folds.

Danish Viking, you are a wealth of information. Thank you. I have tried to go through as many of these pages as I could but we are now nearing 100 and it is difficult to read each post as carefully as needed, so I apologize if I am repeating questions.

When I combine Corgi Guy's post and your top ten, I get:

1) DFDS canal tour.

2) Go to Christiansborg Slot (Palace).

3) Walk over to Amalienborg Palace.

4) Walk over to Rosenborg Slot (Castle).

5) Walk to the Round Tower

6) Walk back toward hotel via Stroget.

But not:

Copenhagen Zoo - you simply must see the new elephant house by Sir Norman Foster

The National Museum

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek

The Resistance Museum

We will be arriving on the evening of July 29 and may be too tired to do more than grab a bite near our hotel, Copenhagen Marriott. (Any suggestions as to where to have dinner?) However, I am sure we will be ready early the next morning to hit the sites. Realistically, how much do you think we can fit in and how should we schedule it? I guess my priorities would be a Canal Tour (is DFDS the one that is supposedly less expensive and just as good?), time to shop in Stroget and get a hot dog and chocolate milk, ending in Tivoli for dinner. (The Zoo would be good if it close because my son works at the Zoo here at home.) We will probably just get up and head for the ship in the morning since we have luggage to carry and a large group (18 pax) to corral.

Now I think that people here are talking about a CPH card that can be ordered online from home or purchased at various locations in Copenhagen with a US credit card which includes transportation and admission or discounts to various museums or attractions, right? Is this something that would be worthwhile with our planned day? Is there also a card which is just for public transportation? Would that be better?

Thanks again for your patience and all the help.

bayjoens: For canal boat tour you might want to look at

http://www.netto-baadene.dk/

I think they do the exact same tour and are about half the price of DFDS. Also, while I don't live in Copenhagen and have only visited twice I would recommend the Resistance Museum IF you are any sort of history buff. I thought it was really very good.

Greg

Archived