I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

We are traveling from airport to Marriott hotel, then to Tivoli that night, Rosenberg Slot and another museum or so the next day. We have 3 adults, 1 jr, 2 free 9 yr olds. I assumed that getting the CP CArd at airport was the best thing to do giving us 24 hr access to transport, Tivoli and museum--but is there a better/cheaper way?

Also--FYI-Marriott told me they no longer have a shuttle--but if there is a big group, they could arrange something--so, how does one use public transport to cruise at Freeport on Sat? Or, are there cabs that will hold 6 persons? Or do we have to take 2 cabs? And from Marriott to port, about how much would that cost?

@andover46

Both the manned ticket counter and the ticket machines accept Visa and Mastercard, but only with a 4 digit PIN. The ticket counter also require a PIN. If you do not have a PIN with your credit card, you will have to use cash. The ticket machines sell individual tickets, 2 zone and 3 zone cards, the staffed ticket counter sells all products. Remember that kids under 12 years old ride for free with an adult. Kids 12-15 years old are half price. There are special "klippekort" for kids 12-15 years old.

I undertand your mermaid has gone swimabout to China :(. We are booked to visit your port in May 2011, do you know when she is planning to swim home again please. How sad I would be not to see such a famous landmark :eek:, a "fill-in", which I believe is presently there, is not the same.

Thank you, I look forward to seeing your beautiful port, Misty

Can I just ask how easy is Copenhagen to get around on your own? I am going there in a few weeks with P&O and was wondering if I should book a shore excursion with them or not..

Thanks

Copenhagen is very easy to get round on your own. Once you are in the centre (probably by no 26 bus) with a map it is all there for you. If it's any help I did this

The walk past the Mermaid (or rather the video screen in her usual place) and the Gefion fountain is in the direction of where the ships are docked so you don't really need to bother about transport back, although the no 26 is always available ifyou don't fancy the 3 km walk from Copenhagen centre to the ship.

To Misty: a copy of the Mermaid that was kept in the sculptor's family is on display in Tivoli.

Thank you Dayenu. I really was hoping to see the original but I have just learnt, quite by chance, the mermaid was lent to China for 6 months. So long as she swims fast with no detours I should be able to see her next May.

Thank you again for replying, Misty

Danish Viking -

Thanks much for all the info you provide. I have finally made it thru all 110 pages. I was wondering if you have any updates on the construction on the way to Frederiksborg Castle? You had stated:

"There will be busses from Svanemøllen Station in northern Copenhagen to Hillerød from 5th of June to 8th of August.

Some of the line will open up from Svanemøllen to Lyngby so there will be busses from Lyngby to Hillerød from 8th of August to 26th of September." but then later it seems the buses were from Farum to Hillerod station.

So does this mean that starting on 8/8, the bus won't be picked up until Lyngby? Or is it still Farum? Also, do they 'herd' you from the train to the bus, so you know which bus you are picking up---since these are 'special' buses? We will be there in just a couple of weeks.

I also am still a little confused on the clip cards. There will be 4 of us from the airport by train to Central Station to our hotel pre-cruise. That should be the only transportation we should need as post-cruise we are fortunate enough to be able to stay in your city for 4 days, so I will be getting the 72 hour Copenhagen Cards, which I will not have start until 72 hours before I know that we will be back in the airport. I know it is 3 zones. So, would we buy 4-single journey 3 zone cards? Or is there a 3 zone clip card that contains 4 journeys?

Thanks very much for all the information!!

I have now been 'playing' with http://www.rejesplanen.dk and I think I finally understand how this works. So actually, Farum is already farther than Lyngby the way it looks.....

....and we will be doing Kronborg Castle at the same time....just to confirm...the Oresrund train on the way back to Kobenhavn H is also covered by the Copenhagen card-correct? ..but not admission to Kronborg.

Thanks.

I will split your questions up, because it's easier for me :-)

The busses in Farum are located just next to the platform so you won´t have any problem finding the bus.

And yes you will have a shorter bus trip from Farum than Lyngby

The CPH Card also covers the train from Helsingør to Copenhagen but as you say not entrance to Kronborg Castle.

Just remember that the train from Hillerød to Helsingør only goes 1 time each hour at XX:00 (ex. 11:00)

The clip card always contains 10 clips so you will have to buy four 3 zone single tickets from the airport to central Copenhagen.

Danish Viking (and CruisingEurope), Thanks so much for your help in all these pages. It has really helped a lot. We will be in your lovely city on Sept 7 before sailing on the Star. We received our CPH cards in the mail today! We are excited as this is our first trip to Europe. Thanks again for all your great answers! Martin

@ eby

The freedom ticket will only cover the Ho/Ho busses but on the other hand you can only get a discount on the Ho/Ho bus with the CPH Card.

But i would go with the CPH Card because you can use the small bus that drives on a route in central Copenhagen called the City Circle.

We will be in Copenhagen for 2 nights prior to our cruise and would like to know which of the following hotels would be our best choice:

Hotel Imperial

Radisson Royal Blu

D'angleterre

What would be the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? Taxi? fare?

Would you suggest we take a taxi from the Hotek to the port?

Thanking you in advance

Peter

D'angleterre has the best location in Copenhagen and it is considered the most glamourus hotel in town.

Strøget, Nyhavn, Amalienborg, Rosenborg and the Canal Tour is just a easy walk from the hotel.

You can get a taxi for around 250-300 DKK or you can take the Metro almost to the door of the hotel.

The price for the Metro is 33,5 DKK.

What day is your ship departing and from witch terminal because there are 3 cruise terminals in Copenhagen.

DanishViking, we just returned from our trip and I wanted to thank you for all your help. It made a great difference and was extremely useful!

BTW, for those of you staying at the Copenhagen Marriott, there is one DFDS canal ride that originates at 9am each morning from the hotel. This was tremendously convenient and easy. In fact, the concierge at the hotel sells the CPH cards too. (If he tells you he doesn't, try a different concierge. The first one I talked to said they didn't sell them and gave me the wrong info for the Tourist Information office, but the second one took five minutes, ran down to the office, got them for us and just charged our room for them.)

What day is your ship departing and from witch terminal because there are 3 cruise terminals in Copenhagen.

Thanks for the responce, Wi will be departing on Tuesday May 24th on the Emerald Pincess. Not sure what terminal it departs from.

CM Ports website is not updated with the cruise terminals for next year but it will most likely be at the Freeport Terminal.

You can take bus number 26 towards Færgehavn Nord from the hotel directly to the cruisepier and will cost you 23 DKK for each person and a Taxi will cost around 150DKK.

Hello, I have a lot of pages to read, but my trip to Copenhagen isn't for another 10 months. I was looking at air-conditioned hotels in Copenhagen and the two in my price range were teh Square and the Imperial. The Square has a great location, but I have heard too many complaints about the noise from the streets and nightclub. The Imperial is a few blocks away. I was wondering if you have an opinion between the two or if there are any other well - located hotels you can recommend. I see that most people stay at the Marriott, but as we are spending 5 nights in Copenhagen, I wanted a hotel with a more central location. Thanks.

Hello, I have a lot of pages to read, but my trip to Copenhagen isn't for another 10 months. I was looking at air-conditioned hotels in Copenhagen and the two in my price range were teh Square and the Imperial. The Square has a great location, but I have heard too many complaints about the noise from the streets and nightclub. The Imperial is a few blocks away. I was wondering if you have an opinion between the two or if there are any other well - located hotels you can recommend. I see that most people stay at the Marriott, but as we are spending 5 nights in Copenhagen, I wanted a hotel with a more central location. Thanks.

What about the Hotel Bethel: http://www.hotel-bethel.dk/

Som

With the hot summers lately, I want a hotel with air conditioning. The Bethel does not have it.

You will have to pay a premium for a hotel with A/C.

As the temps have been fluctuating in Denmark this year, you may have wanted A/C one day or two this summer. Generally, you will not need A/C unless you need it extremely cold.

You will have to pay a premium for a hotel with A/C.

As the temps have been fluctuating in Denmark this year, you may have wanted A/C one day or two this summer. Generally, you will not need A/C unless you need it extremely cold.

We were in Iceland in June and the hotel in Reykjavik was stifling - most people opened the windows and the doors and slept that way. We are willing to pay the premium, especially if we are staying in an area where there would be too much street noise to open the windows and still be able to sleep. The Imperial Hotel has reasonable rates and A/C and seems to be well located. I was wondering if you were familiar with the hotel - it is a couple of blocks from Tivoli, near the Vesterport train station.

Archived