I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

We were in Iceland in June and the hotel in Reykjavik was stifling - most people opened the windows and the doors and slept that way. We are willing to pay the premium, especially if we are staying in an area where there would be too much street noise to open the windows and still be able to sleep. The Imperial Hotel has reasonable rates and A/C and seems to be well located. I was wondering if you were familiar with the hotel - it is a couple of blocks from Tivoli, near the Vesterport train station.

I feel the same way. The hotel definitely has to have air conditioning-----just in case! That narrows down our choices. Does anyone know which hotels in the central area do have air conditioning besides the Square, the Imperial and the Marriott?:confused:

Judy

Judy - I found a few others. The executive rooms at Nyhavn 71 are airconditioned (but the area around the hotel is really noisy and I like the location of the Square better). There is also the Skt Petri and the Radisson SAS Hotel Royal, but they cost about twice as much as the Square and Imperial. I am leaning towards the Imperial - location is a few blocks from the Square, but in a quieter area. As you and I are of the same thoughts, please let me know what you decide.

Judy - I found a few others. The executive rooms at Nyhavn 71 are airconditioned (but the area around the hotel is really noisy and I like the location of the Square better). There is also the Skt Petri and the Radisson SAS Hotel Royal, but they cost about twice as much as the Square and Imperial. I am leaning towards the Imperial - location is a few blocks from the Square, but in a quieter area. As you and I are of the same thoughts, please let me know what you decide.

I checked out the Skt Petri and the Radisson also. We have compared everything we possibly can that has air conditioning and we have decided on the Imperial. We were going to book on-line, but their site is not secure (encrypted), so we are going to call the hotel direct, maybe on Skype. We need 2 rooms for 2 nights and their prices were good considering location and the looks of the hotel. :)

Hello, ... The Square has a great location, but I have heard too many complaints about the noise from the streets and nightclub... we are spending 5 nights in Copenhagen, I wanted a hotel with a more central location. Thanks.

Benita, Our family had two rooms at The Square hotel for 5 nights Aug.22-27, 2009. Both rooms were on the third floor. (The hotel has 6 floors.) One room was on the back side and one room overlooked a side street. The air-conditioning was very adequate so we never opened the windows. Therefore, noise was not a problem in either room. The breakfast on the sixth floor each morning is in a large room, not crowded, and is very good. We got the reservations through hotels.com. Last year, wifi internet was only available in the lobby, but they had a public terminal also in the lobby. Mike

Benita, have you booked your Copenhagen hotel yet? We have decided on the Imperial, but their site is not secure and I am not going to send my CC info over an insecure site, so I guess we will have to call them. They keep telling me it is secure, but my browser shows no indication of it being secure when I get to the CC # part.

Judy

With the hot summers lately, I want a hotel with air conditioning. The Bethel does not have it.

Well, we're booked next May so hopefully we won't need it but we love the location so went with it as it's only 2 nights prior to our cruise.

Som

Judy, you may want to try booking the hotel through a site like Hotels.com or orbitz. I think I saw the Imperial there. The last time I compared their rates they were similar to what the hotel was charging directly.

Thanks, Harry. I have checked some of the sites' rates, but I will try again. The standard room at the hotel is approx. $200 w/breakfast and Priceline is showing $375 no breakfast!!!!

Usually Priceline has the best prices. Go figure!!

But, again, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them all out again, just in case. :)

Of all the hotels, the Imperial seems to have the most variability in pricing. The cheapest was on a booking site that I never heard of, which gave us the fifth night free, but you had to pay in advance. On the hotel's web site, a superior room was $180 and it was $167 for a standard room if you were staying 3 nights or more. On some of the other booking sites, it was over $300 a night. Of all the cities we have stayed in over the years, Copenhagen seemed to have the least number of hotels that people have liked (according to TripAdvisor). Even Starwood, where we usually used our points to book rooms, does not have an affiliated hotel.

Judy, you may want to try booking the hotel through a site like Hotels.com or orbitz. I think I saw the Imperial there. The last time I compared their rates they were similar to what the hotel was charging directly.

Is there any advantage to booking through Hotels.com or orbitz vs the hotel if the rates are the same?

Of all the hotels, the Imperial seems to have the most variability in pricing. The cheapest was on a booking site that I never heard of, which gave us the fifth night free, but you had to pay in advance. On the hotel's web site, a superior room was $180 and it was $167 for a standard room if you were staying 3 nights or more. On some of the other booking sites, it was over $300 a night. Of all the cities we have stayed in over the years, Copenhagen seemed to have the least number of hotels that people have liked (according to TripAdvisor). Even Starwood, where we usually used our points to book rooms, does not have an affiliated hotel.

If we book through the hotel (which we won't on-line), the price is $200 total/including breakfast, which we think is a very good price. That is per night and we plan to stay two nights. Orbitz showed no availability and the others are much higher!! :confused:

Judy, sorry my tip didn't work. Being a cheapskate (!) I usually check all the travel sites and the hotel site directly for the best rates. They're usually all pretty close to each other.

Benita, I've booked hotels on both Orbitz and Hotels.com and it's about the same. Fortunately I've never had a problem (knocking on wood for the Copenhagen hotel I booked!). Hotels.com now does have a fidelity program that I think gives you a free night after you book ten nights.

Judy, I still am leaning toward the Square, due to a much better location for our interests than the Imperial (plus some recent razzes on TA regarding the Imperial's a/c).

Air conditioning is very important to me, so we may just buy some good ear plugs and switch to the Square, also. :confused:

Air conditioning is very important to me, so we may just buy some good ear plugs and switch to the Square, also. :confused:

This hotel search has been the most frustrating of all my travel experience. I cannot believe the number of tripadvisor reviews regarding Copenhagen hotels that I have read in the past two months, and I still have not found one that fits what I thought were simple criteria: good location, clean, quiet and a/c!!:eek:

TLCOhio (the poster with the great photos) enjoyed his one night at the Square in June, so I guess I can survive two nights there with my earplugs. The location really is a good one.

This hotel search has been the most frustrating of all my travel experience. I cannot believe the number of tripadvisor reviews regarding Copenhagen hotels that I have read in the past two months, and I still have not found one that fits what I thought were simple criteria: good location, clean, quiet and a/c!!:eek:

TLCOhio (the poster with the great photos) enjoyed his one night at the Square in June, so I guess I can survive two nights there with my earplugs. The location really is a good one.

Hopefully, the noise is only an issue on the weekends. We are staying Thurs. & Fri. nights. Maybe only Fri. night will be loud from the club next door. ;)

Decisions, decisions. We will be there from Sunday to Friday - 5 nights. The prices for the Square and the Imperial are almost the same. They both have the same type of airconditioning. The Square is a better location, but probably noisier. Pam and Judy - please let me know what you finally decide. I think your trip is a few weeks before ours, so I would love to hear feedback as well.

Decisions, decisions. We will be there from Sunday to Friday - 5 nights. The prices for the Square and the Imperial are almost the same. They both have the same type of airconditioning. The Square is a better location, but probably noisier. Pam and Judy - please let me know what you finally decide. I think your trip is a few weeks before ours, so I would love to hear feedback as well.

A poster on Judy's Copenhagen hotel thread who just returned said he spent five wonderful nights at the Marriott but I simply will not go so out of the way just for a/c.

A poster on Judy's Copenhagen hotel thread who just returned said he spent five wonderful nights at the Marriott but I simply will not go so out of the way just for a/c.

Pam, how far out of the way is the Marriott? I keep reading that it is only a couple of blocks to it is way too far. I'm confused. :confused:

The Imperial is about two blocks from Tivoli - about three from the Hotel Square. The Marriott is in a lovely canalside location about half a mile from Tivoli. You can map it out on Tripadvisor.

It is not just the distance from the Marriott to Tivoli and other more interesting areas, it is also the area where this hotel sits. When you look at the Google.com air map, you see it's walking by boring parking lots and other areas that are not that scenic. With Copenhagen having such charming buildings and architecture, I loved being so much closer to the "heart" of these better areas, dining places, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived