I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

It is not just the distance from the Marriott to Tivoli and other more interesting areas, it is also the area where this hotel sits. When you look at the Google.com air map, you see it's walking by boring parking lots and other areas that are not that scenic. With Copenhagen having such charming buildings and architecture, I loved being so much closer to the "heart" of these better areas, dining places, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Oh, now I understand. Everyone kept saying the Marriott was not close to everything and I like walking, so that did not sound like a negative to me. I much prefer walking by charming buildings and architecture, etc., so I think we will stay with the Imperial.

Thank you! :)

The Imperial is about two blocks from Tivoli - about three from the Hotel Square. The Marriott is in a lovely canalside location about half a mile from Tivoli. You can map it out on Tripadvisor.

Thank you, Benita. I think we will keep our reservations at the Imperial. :)

Oh, now I understand. Everyone kept saying the Marriott was not close to everything and I like walking, so that did not sound like a negative to me. I much prefer walking by charming buildings and architecture, etc., so I think we will stay with the Imperial.

Glad we've helped. YES, that walking around in the "charming areas" is so great in Copenhagen. Don't miss Tivoli at night. Here are a few visual samples from earlier this summer in Denmark.

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

Tivoli looks so special at night with its famed building designs, water features, gardens, flowers, rides, people, entertainment, etc.:

TivoliJapHseLake.jpg

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Here is one of Tivoli’s most unique buildings “showing off” with its covering of spectacular lighting. Thomas Edison would be proud!

TivoliOrientNight.jpg

A different angle for Copenhagen dramatic City Hall on its main, central square.:

CPHCityHallDetails.jpg

Next to Copenhagen City Hall is the famous and well-used statue of Hans Christian Anderson.:

CPNHansChrAndersonStat.jpg

Glad we've helped. YES, that walking around in the "charming areas" is so great in Copenhagen. Don't miss Tivoli at night. Here are a few visual samples from earlier this summer in Denmark.

Thank you for posting the beautiful pictures! I am really looking forward to this cruise! :D

we just spent three peaceful nights at the hotel mayfair. booked it primarily for it's location near the central station (within easy walking distance, three blocks from rear exit of the station) and inclusive of breakfast and a light dinner (heavy emphasis on light, though it's a buffet style so you won't go away hungry). The pleasant surprise was it was quite comfortable and ever so quiet. No road noise, no train noise and simply no noise at all. Staff was very friendly. We will use this hotel again next time we visit.

Thank you for posting the beautiful pictures! I am really looking forward to this cruise!

THANKS for the nice comments! Any other pictures of interest for wonderful Copenhagen? Happy to share more. Given the 100F+ heat in Texas, I hope you enjoy the cooler weather in the Baltics. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

DanishViking: thanks for all the great tips you've posted and the insights into what to see/do in Copenhagen. We just got back and enjoyed the city very much. Truly a great walking city with more than enough to see and do.

Im glad that you had a nice stay in Copenhagen.

BTW just a little input on the hotel situation.

The Radisson Blu Scandinavia hotel and the place around it will be totally renovated and they will add 10 floors so if you don´t like construction noise this will not the the place to be.

But maybe they will add A/C :D

A couple of hotels has just opened the last years time or are soon to be opened, they are Cabinn Metro, Crowne Plaza and Bella Sky (summer 2011) in the district of Ørestad. And Wake Up and Tivoli Hotel in the Tivoli Congress Center near the central station and off course Tivoli.

Here is my travel plans for Copenhagen, from the airport to my downtown hotel -Subway M-2 to Kongens Nytorv. The next day take bus#26 to Frihavnen 245/Flex Terminal.

Are my travel plans correct? Also can I use a non PIN credit card to purchase tickets for the metro at the airport?. Finally would it be better to purchase a 24 hour city pass or pay each each ride?

Thank you in advance. You been a great source of information.

@ bozilla

Your travel plans are just fine but you will have a hard time finding shops who will accept a card without a pincode and

the train ticket counter at the airport are not accepting them anymore and you will also need a pincode to buy a ticket from the ticket machine.

But there is a bank in the corridor between terminal 2 and 3 that maybe can help you.

Post cruise, I have two days in Copenhagen. I am thinking about taking the hop on hop off bus which stops at Langelinje Pier. Disembarkation will be at Freeport Pier. How far is it? Is it an easy route to get from Free Port to Langelinje Pier?

Post cruise, I have two days in Copenhagen. I am thinking about taking the hop on hop off bus which stops at Langelinje Pier. Disembarkation will be at Freeport Pier. How far is it? Is it an easy route to get from Free Port to Langelinje Pier?

The two piers are not close together, but you can walk to both bus and train stops from each.

From Mon. to Fri., there is a public bus #26 that can be taken between the those two piers as well as into city center and other tourist sites. You might want to consider using it instead of the Hop on/off bus. Once in city center, it is a very walkable city.

There is also a train stop/station near both piers, but not as close as the bus stops. The train is available on week-ends.

Back from our cruise and post-cruise stay in Copenhagen. Just a note to thank especially Danish Viking and others in this thread who gave such great advice to make our trip very enjoyable.

I think we could have stayed in Denmark another week! :D

We didn't even make it through my list of sights in Copenhagen, as we got distracted by some of our day trips. We really enjoyed going to Hillerod--the castle was spectacular and the area around it so beautiful. We enjoyed the small town of Hillerod so much..just wandering around on a day where the weather was most pleasant....so our time was cut short to get to Kronberg, though we did get there. I think we would have enjoyed hanging out longer in Helsingor also. We ran into one (almost) problem. On the train from Helsingor back to Copenhagen, there was an announcemnt on the train in Danish --- uh oh. There was a young couple in our car who went and talked to some people in the next car. They then came back and told us in Danish--though we did finally get to English that we needed to 'move up'. We followed them as they collected a few other people in other cars and kept moving forward and forward until they finally stopped. All we could guess was that the train was going to be dropping some cars??? Anyway, I guess my advice would be to stay in the forward cars when you leave from Helsingor....

We also took the bus to Carlsberg Brewery and the Zoo. The Brewery was fun and the zoo was really enjoyable. It isn't a huge zoo, but since we were there during the week, it was very quiet and just a nice pleasant place to be away from the hustle of Copenhagen. We did buy the 72 hour Copenhagen card (we were there 4 days) and made good use of the little Circle buses. This included the Harbor Bus which my DS thought was really 'cool'!

We found most places took a Credit Card without a pin, with a couple of exceptions. It seems the 'American' places did not...oddly enough. The 7-11 stores and McDonalds (sorry....just had to eat there as meals were so expensive---not to worry---we ate our share of hot dogs from carts also!) were the places who refused signing for Credit Cards. There is a little grocery store called Rema 1000 across from Vesterport Station that we went to several times that had no problem signing for a Credit Card.

Anyway---wonderful trip---and thanks SO MUCH for all the advice!

We are still wavering between the Square and the Imperial. I did get another recommendation for the Skt Petri, which friends used, but they don't have pricing out for June 2011 yet. It is pretty expensive to stay there now, but I figured I would check it out periodically online as specials in all these hotels seem to come and go. What did you decide to do?

Hi Danish Viking:

We are considering to stay at the Tivoli hotel while in Copenhagen, what do you think of this hotel? Do you recommend this hotel?

The Tivoli hotel is open now but heard that there is still a lot of construction going on around there, will it all be completed by next April?

Are there any shops and restaurants close to the Tivoli hotel?

The hotel looks quite far from the central train station and the Dybbolsbro station on the map, about how long the walk will be to these stations? Are there any city bus transportation to and from the central station?

Thanks in advance!:)

We are still wavering between the Square and the Imperial. I did get another recommendation for the Skt Petri, which friends used, but they don't have pricing out for June 2011 yet. It is pretty expensive to stay there now, but I figured I would check it out periodically online as specials in all these hotels seem to come and go. What did you decide to do?

We booked the Imperial. Stan and Jim who post a lot here on CC recommended it. I don't want to worry about noise being an issue. I like quiet at bedtime.:) If you come up with any good deals, please let me know. We can cancel clear up to the day before.

We booked the Imperial. Stan and Jim who post a lot here on CC recommended it. I don't want to worry about noise being an issue. I like quiet at bedtime.:) If you come up with any good deals, please let me know. We can cancel clear up to the day before.

Will do. I think you return around the time I leave, so if you have computer access during your stay, I would love to hear your first hand report of the Imperial. Thanks.

@ ssn

I think that most of the construction work around the hotel is finished by april but it´s a part of a bigger area that will first will start construction after 2012 when some major track repair are finished and the old tracks can be removed.

The closest cafés and restaurants are at the Fisketorvet shopping mall located next door but there is i direct shuttle to Tivoli and downtown copenhagen every 15th minute.

@ ssn

I think that most of the construction work around the hotel is finished by april but it´s a part of a bigger area that will first will start construction after 2012 when some major track repair are finished and the old tracks can be removed.

The closest cafés and restaurants are at the Fisketorvet shopping mall located next door but there is i direct shuttle to Tivoli and downtown copenhagen every 15th minute.

Danish Viking:

We will arrive on a Sunday and stay for a couple of days before the cruise. Does the shuttle run all hours and everyday? Heard that bus #30 goes from the central train station to the shopping center, how often does the bus run?

We plan to purchase the 3-day Copenhagen card. Does the card allow unlimited access to Tivoli for all 3 days? We like to visit Tivoli during the day and at night but not necessary be there for the entire day.

Thanks, you've been a big help to us planning the trip.

@ SSN

Bus number 30 goes every 30th minute :-) and every 20th minute in the morning and afternoon rush hour, it goes once a hour on sundays and in the late evening (saturdays after16:00)

Look at movia.dk or rejseplanen.dk, the busstops that you have to use are either Godsbanegården or Fisketorvet, Dybbølsbro.

The shuttle bus only goes when Tivoli is open .

Yes you will have unlimited access to Tivoli all day with the CPH card.

@ Benita

Sankt Petri is the place where actors and singers are staying when they are in town so i think they are keeping a good standard, the location is also spot on in a quiet area of central Copenhagen and still close to the Metro, S-train and train station Nørreport.

Archived