I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Danish Viking,

We arrive in Copenhagen on June 1st aboard the Eclipse. We plan to begin our day by walking from Langelinie to Nyhavn to take a canal cruise. From there, we would like to make our way to the Carlsberg Brewery. Can you tell me what form of transportation we should take and where to board? On the return, we would like to make our way to Stroget with a stop at the Danish Resistance Museum before returning to the ship. Is there public transportation that we could use for our return from the Brewery?

Is there a way to get this map in English, I tried going on mapquest, but I was not successful. It would be very helpful for walking from the pier to the canal tour. Also, are there many canal tours from Nyhavn, and if so is one better than the other? Do you have to reserve in advance.

Thank you

Just type in http://maps.google.ca/maps and it comes up in English then type in the address.

You can only reserve a canal cruise in advance if you have over 8 people.

Som

@ Sominex

Bus number 26 (yes the same from the cruise pier) stops at kongen nytorv that is located just next to Nyhavn were the canal tours starts from.

To get of at the Carlsberg Brewery you just have to use the bus stop at Kammasvej.

http://map.krak.dk/m/a0IkC

The same bus will offcourse bring you back to central Copenhagen.

The Eurodam will be docked at the Freeport pier C245 on June 29, 2011. We are interested in visiting the Open Air Museum on our own. It appears that there may be a train that goes that way from somewhere near the ship. Does anyone have info on where to catch the train, which one and how often they go to the museum and return from the museum? Any help is appreciated.

You just walk to Nordhavn station.

http://map.krak.dk/m/aCpO7

From Nordhavn you take S-train line B (towards Holte) to Sorgenfri station that goes at 09:25

Its a weekday so it goes every 10th minute at 05, 15, 25, 35, 45 and 55

At Sorgenfri you either walk to the open air museum or take bus number 191 (towards Lyngby) at 09:46 and get off at Frilandsmuseet (open air museum)

If you walk here is the route.

http://map.krak.dk/m/aCpiI

You can also use Lyngby Station with both line B but also the quicker line E, here you have to take bus number 194 towards Skodborg.

This bus only goes every 30th minute so you have to use the S-train line E from Nordhavn at 19:43.

This bus will drop you off at the museum at 10:04.

Thank you for the great directions and map to get to the Open Air Museum.

Since we are only in Denmark for the day, we will not have Danish krona. Do you know if there is an ATM in the port area that would dispense krona so we can take the S bahn etc to get to the park? Can we purchase tickets on the train and if so is krona the only currency accepted?

Last year in Denmark we had trouble using a credit card because your credit cards have a special chip of some kind and you require a pin code that American cards don't have. Could we use our credit card to get out to the park?

The other question that someone else might know - does HAL Eurodam offer a currency exchange office on board the ship which would allow us to get krona before we disembark?

Thank you for your help.

Sue

The entrance to the museum is free and you can purchase the train tickets at the Nordhavn station, if that doesn´t work out there is a bank with a ATM located one block away from the station.

If you want the cheapest train tickets possible just tell me how many persons you are and if the is any children in your group.

Do you plan on going to central Copenhagen afterwards.????

We just returned last week from a cruise to Copenhagen on RCI. I had read and found useful the info on this thread, in particular from Danish Viking. Thank you for that.

I thought its worth sharing my experience on taking the train from Freeport as it may help someone else.

We had a copy of the map (port to train station and bus stop) and expected to have to find our way around using it. Actually it was simpler than that. The maps are posted throughout the route to the station and also marked on the kerb by a blue line most of the way. We simply walked to the station as did many others. You cannot get lost.

We experienced some problems with buying a ticket. There was no manned window, just one ticket machine. Long queues formed as all of us, non-Danish speaking visitors, tried to work out how to use the machine and work out which ticket to buy. There was some information in English but the machine itself only had instructions in Danish. Also worth noting that it does not take notes, only coins or cards. It took British credit cards but I think some of the US cards did not seem to be accepted. No one could work out how to pay for multiple tickets in one transaction, so everyone had to buy individual tickets for each member of the group. The queue got longer. We had intended to buy the 24 hour City Pass, but could not work out how to get that from the ticket machine so just bought the one way ticket to Central Station.

We later heard that there is another machine at the other entrance to the station and also there is a local shop that sells the tickets. If the queue is too long, do check this out.

Another option was to have taken the Bus 26. We didn’t do that as it was every 20 minutes and it seemed that train would be quicker. With hindsight, it may have been a better option for us and the walk would have been slightly less.

Riaz

Yes a very important note, the 7-Eleven kiosk is located in the other end of the station when you are coming from the cruise pier.

The 24 hour card and the 24 and/or 72 hour city pass can only be purchased at the 7-Eleven.

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hello Cruisin Europe,

I hope I'm posting this correctly, but here goes.

My wife and I will be in Copenhagen both at the beginning and at the end of a Baltic Cruise this summer. My question involves the day we have at the end of the cruise. The ship arrives in Copenhagen early in the morning on Sunday, July 10. We then are booked on the Copenhagen-to-Oslo overnight ferry which leaves Copenhagen at 5:00 PM that day. So, we'll have most of that day to explore Copenhagen. However, we will have our luggage to deal with. Any suggestions as to how to handle this so that we can see some things in the city but not have to carry our luggage around.

We've heard that we can store it in a locker at the Central Station. Is this true? If so, is it reasonable to walk from the ship to Central Station?

And then from Central Station to the DFDS docks, which, I understand, is where the ferry leaves for Oslo. Our travel agent thinks there may be a place at the DFDS docks to leave the luggage for the day, but she didn't sound positive. If it is possible to store the luggage at the DFDS docks, do you know how much it will cost? Also, what is the cost at the Central Station?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Jerry (ColoTrvlr)

@ KerbyTex

There are toilets along Strøget and also at Nyhavn, there are no fixed price but just give the cleaning lady (or man) some coins when you get out.

@ ColoTrvlr

There is indeed a luggage storage at the central station, the small boxes cost 40 dkk and the big one 50 dkk.

The distance is way to long from both piers to walk but you can walk to Nordhavn station from the freeport terminal and cath a S-train to the central station from there.

If you are in port on monday to friday there are more options and also if your ship are docked at Langelinie or Nordre Toldbod.

We are on the emerald princess baltic cruise 4th 15th June & supposed to dock at Copenhagen at 5am. We have a fight to New York at 10am, I know it is cutting it close but my husband had to get back for a meeting that evening in NYC at 5pm. What is the quickiest way of getting from the Freeport pier to the airport?

Thanks

sally

Danish Viking,

We are spending two nights at Wakeup Copenhagen, which is a 10-minute walk from the Central Station and an 8-minute walk from Dyersboro (sp?) station. Is this a safe area to walk in with our luggage or would it be better to take a taxi? We plan on getting the Copenhagen card and thought we could just go from the airport via the train and walk to Wakeup or take the train and then a taxi to the hotel. Which is the better option? What would be the approximate cost of a taxi from both the airport to the hotel or from one of the train stations to the hotel?

Hi,

I don't have a question, just wanted to say how I envy you! I lived in Copenhagen back in 1970, and have never stopped loving this city. Due to circumstances, I was not able to return to the city until 40 years later, last May, 2010. I was on a Transatlantic Costa Cruise. Things had changed, but the city I loved 40 years ago remains in my heart. I tell everyone to stop and visit. If you are going on a cruise that begins or ends in Copenhagen, stay awhile. You will never experience another city or country like it. Enjoy whatever time you have left in Copenhagen. Linda:)

HI,

I am trying to figure out where this pier is in relationship to the Adina Apartment Hotel. The cmport site does not make it easy to find the ports locations. It appears that it is right down the street, but I want to be sure. Is it within walking distance or is a taxi needed?

Thank you

Sorry.. I finally found the cruiseport and it is close by the Adina, as I thought. It looks like it is a long walk though, so curious about a cost for a taxi to the cruiseport from there and also what would be the most cost effective way to get to the airport from the hotel, since staying after the cruise for a few days.

Thank you again

HI,

I am trying to figure out where this pier is in relationship to the Adina Apartment Hotel. The cmport site does not make it easy to find the ports locations. It appears that it is right down the street, but I want to be sure. Is it within walking distance or is a taxi needed?

Thank you

@ jdvmd

If you take the train to the central station you can use bus number 11A that is a small electric bus that serves the Tivoli Congress Center (including Wake Up) and the downtown area.

@ eileenc

Well i don´t exactly live in Copenhagen but in Køge 38 km´s south of the city.

But when i go to the cinema or concerts Copenhagen is the place to go and it only takes 38 minutes with the S-train to the central station.

@ calicruising

Here is the route.

http://map.krak.dk/m/aQMRc

@ Mgetta1

Both starting points, Axel Torv or City hall square are located 5 minutes apart so if you experience long lines you can just walk over to the other place but i have never seen passengers left on the street.

Greetings Danish Viking:

My wife and I were married in your lovely capital 25 years ago and are returning for a cruise Monday week. We arrive at the airport at around seven pm on Monday and have a few days before the cruise to see the city again. Can we get a three day Copenhagen card at the airport for the train to the city center. We are staying in Nyhavn. Will our world master card from Capital One in the USA work in the vending machine. And do you know approximately how many dollars it takes to buy a kroner. From what I have read the Copenhagen card should be a slam dunk as we want to go back to Tivoli and take the harbor cruise etc.

I do not think there is enough time to have the card sent to our home in NYC.

Thanks for all your terrific advice.

Ed & Mary

When we were there last time there was a Rio style carnival going on - with bands and dancing. It was a real hoot. It is a magical city and of course the Carlsberg is terrific.

Archived