I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

I know that you have probably already answered this, but couldn't find it. Is the HOHO bus different than public transportation? And is this a good way to see the city when you have very little time and walking could be a issue for one of our companions. What is the Open Top Tours and the Copenhagen Card - see reference to that several times but could find a good explanation of what it is. Could you also recommend a good website to read about Copenhagen? ( in english)

This Wikipedia link will get you up to date with Copenhagen in no time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen

Here is the tourist organisations website, including info on the Copenhagen Card

http://visitcopenhagen.com/

The CPH card will give you free or reduced entrance to most museums and other tourist sites in the capital area.

Also included in the card is free transportation with bus, waterbus, metro, S-train and trains.

If the card has no value for you but you still need transportation you can use the City Pass transportation that covers zone 1, 2, 3 and 4, that is central Copenhagen, Frederiksberg (not frederiksborg) the cruise port and the airport.

The ho/ho busses are not part of the public transportation but a 10% discount is given on the open top tours if you have the CPH card.

But bus 11A will get you around all the tourist sights in downtown Copenhagen except the little mermaid and the cruise ships.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/_layouts/movia/createPDF.aspx?urlToHtml=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emoviatrafik%2Edk%2Fdinrejse%2Fkoreplaner%2FBuslinje%2Fafgangstider%2FPages%2FRuteoversigt%2Easpx%3Fdirection%5Fgid%3D9014200001110000%26line%5Fname%3D11A%26active%3D2%26linegid%3D9011200001100000%26filename%3DRuteoversigt%5Ffor%5Flinje%5F11A%2Epdf

The freedom pass is most likely for 2 consecutive days but ask them directly.

Public Transportation: running but with fewer departures

Museums: open

Tivoli: open

Restaurants: open

Shops: generally open first and last sunday in the month from 12 to 16 and with the big chain stores some hours more

Freedom Bus: running

Wow! Nearly 3,000 posts

Too much to take it, I fear

Briefly, due in Copenhagen 24 Aug on Celebrity Eclipse

2 x 60 somethings, not particularly interested in interiors (museums, churches, palaces) more on the exterior/plenty of photography

Therefore would appreciate a simple guide to Copenhagen without being too exhausting

Much appreciated

Mr & Mrs Red

A guide to what exactly, i can guide you to alot of things but from the post i can see that you not want the see the museums, churches and castles so it narrows it down to a few things.

Canal tour, maybe kayaking in the harbour

Shopping on Strøget pedestran street

Relaxing/people watching in a park

Tivoli or maybe the world oldest amusement park Bakken located in the deer garden just north of Copenhagen.

Christiania, the hippie freetown.

Copenhagen Zoo, including the new elephant house designed by sir Norman Foster.

All other things that i can think of includes the word museum, church and/or castle.

DV,

First, thanks for the work you do on here, and I apologize that this might have already been asked before.

We are arriving at the airport on a Saturday to go on a cruise on the next Monday.

What is the best way to get from the airport (with luggage and 6 people) to the Admiral Hotel?

Is this a nice hotel? Our travel agent said it would be.

Also, since we are going to be in Copenhagen for two days, we would like to see as much as possible. Should we buy the Copenhagen Card? Will it pay for Metro to Admiral?

Finally, I have a question about the Absolut Ice Bar. Our daughter will be traveling with us and she will be 17 years, 11 months while in Copenhagen. Will she be able to go with us in the ice bar? How restrictive are they about letting someone under 18 in bars? Her parents will be with her.

Thanks again.

A guide to what exactly, i can guide you to alot of things but from the post i can see that you not want the see the museums, churches and castles so it narrows it down to a few things.

Canal tour, maybe kayaking in the harbour

Shopping on Strøget pedestran street

Relaxing/people watching in a park

Tivoli or maybe the world oldest amusement park Bakken located in the deer garden just north of Copenhagen.

Christiania, the hippie freetown.

Copenhagen Zoo, including the new elephant house designed by sir Norman Foster.

All other things that i can think of includes the word museum, church and/or castle.

I think you missed the word "interiors" - yes, we want to see as much as we can but not spend time inside museums, etc - prefer to see/photograph the outside including churches, castles, palaces, even museums

Hoping you can help so that we don't miss what we shouldn't miss!

Thanks - much appreciated

Bakken vs. Tivoli? For us, it is not about the thrilling rides. It's really about the experience, the sights, .... And my husband is fearful of heights, so I'm left to ride a Ferris Wheel solo while I send him off to people-watch.

We'll be there during the Santa Congress -- I'm not sure how that affects the Bakken crowds.

@ lcid88

You could purchase the Copenhagen Card at the airport and use this in the metro.

You then need to walk 10 minutes time from Kongens Nytorv Metro station to the hotel.

http://map.krak.dk/m/adbrV

You could also get a taxi at the airport and get 1 or 2 persons + all the luggage in a station wagon, then the other group could take the metro and walk up to the hotel without the luggage.

The hotel gets a good rating on Hotels.com, 8,6 out of 10, almost perfect.

I think that bringing your daughter will be okay at the Icebar, maybe they will refuse to sell any alcholic drinks but its mostly nightclubs that have a 18 year limit but try and ask them.

http://www.icebarcph.com/

@ Midland Red

What pier will your ship be docked in and on what date/day?

@joy2Day

I was at Bakken 4 days ago during a socalled "dog day" and it was hot and sunny but we were able to get around easily and the longest time i was waiting for a ride was around 10 minutes.

My point being that you will be able to get around during this santa claus convention.

Dear Danish Viking,

I am once again asking for your assistance. We are considering taking the E train (purple) to Hillerod. Where might I find a schedule for this train as we would like to leave early Saturday morning, just to see some of the countryside and also visit Fredricksborg Castle. In your opinion, is the castle distinctive enough to justify a visit or is similar to others in Copenhagen?

Secondly, we plan on breakfasting on some wonderful danish pastries, are there any shops near the Marriott? We have heard about La Glace near Storget and Emmery's but are unsure of its many locations.

Thank you for your time and courtesy in answering our many questions; you are a wonderful ambassador for your city.

DV - you have been a wealth of knowledge - what would the taxi ride cost?

Zouave

From my research (correct me if I am wrong) it only takes 12 minutes by train from the airport to Copenhagen Central Station--then you can walk(.8km) or take city bus (5A or 30, or 66 stops in front of Marriott) if you want to try that.

Dear Danish Viking,

I browsed through several pages on this board, and there is a wealth of information, and I really appreciate having access to all of this. But, I have some specific questions, and would appreciate your perspective on them.

Our group of 10 are flying in on July 7th at various times. Most of us are staying at Radisson Blu Falconer on Fallkoner Alle, and others at Best Western Mercur. Can you tell us what is the best way to get to the hotel from Airport with our respective pieces of luggage? Taxi, train, or bus ? and what tickets should we buy and where?

All of us are taking NCL's Baltics cruise on July 10th, and plan to spend 3 days in Copenhagen. We are hoping to take the "hop on hop off" bus around town, but want to go around rest of the places in and around Copenhagen using public transportation. I was a little confused on the use of Copenhagen card, clip card, and other zone based tickets. What would you recommend for us? and where do we buy them?

On July 10th, NCL's cruise leaves from Freeport terminal. What would be the best way to get to the port from hotel? Since we are a group of 10, would a van make more econimic sense? How much would that cost and any recommendations?

Thank you very much!

I know you have answered some of these questions before. We are 2 senior citizens. I can walk, but when it is far I use a walker. We are going to be in Copenhagen 2 full days. The day before I will need transportation to the Wakeup Copenhagen hotel. The last day I will have to get from the hotel to the cruise ship.

What would a taxi cost. If it is too expensive do you recommend the 72 hour copenhagen pass, which will give us discounts on site seeing, or just take local bus and trains. What do you think the difference in price would be. The copenhagen pass is about $175 for the both of us. Do we need the hop on hop off bus or will the local buses or the pass take us to these places. We will be there the end of august. the first full day is on a monday, when most things are closed, so we will do tivoli park. what do you recommend for our second full day. As I said with my walker I can do a lot of walking. Sorry for so many questions, but trying to figure what to do....:rolleyes:

Archived