I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Just stayed at the Square before our August Seabourn trip to the Norwegian Fjords. I would not stay there again. Our rate for a deluxe room was about $300. The room was tiny and spare. There was hardly room for us and our two suitcases.We arrived early in the morning from the states and while we certainly did not expect to check in immediatley we were not too pleased that we had to wait until 3PM.

There is so much information that has peen provided by Danish Viking and others....hard to weed through it all.

We'll be on a Princess cruise out of Copenahgen in July, 2012. We'll be arriving the day before the cruise and we're looking for a comfortable, moderate (by Copenhagen standards) place to spend the night.

Here are the important criteria:

1. Double bed OK, but queen or king preferred.

2. Breakfast on site (doesn't have to be free) or very close by.

3. Private bath (shower OK).

4. Easy taxi ride from airport to hotel and from hotel to cruise terminal.

5. Air conditioning desired.

6. Quiet.

7. We'd like to keep it under $250US/night.

We have no need to do tourist attractions, but if something is conveniently located, that's OK.

Hotel or bed-and-breakfast is fine.

Thanks for all your good advice!

Danish Viking: Buried somewhere in this thread is information on the hotel

The Square. I just booked this as it seems to be one of a few that has rooms available for our cruise in August of next year! I used Booking.com and got a refundable rate with breakfast included. Can you tell me anything about this establishment? I have read mixed reviews. Do they have a resturant close by?

:)

We spent two nights at The Square in June for about $240 per night, which included its excellent breakfast in a lovely room on the top floor, and were very happy with our stay. We requested a room on a high floor on the side street in our original reservation and reminded them by email a few days before our arrival, and we were given precisely that. There absolutely was no noise at all.

We also were able to check in the AM directly from our overnight flight from the US, were given a room upgrade and found the concierge service there excellent. We purchased our Tivoli tickets there, saving any lines and price hikes due to the Friday evening summer rock concert series. Frequent poster TLCOhio (Terry) gave me the recommendation, and it was a good one. Fabulous location.

Danish Viking: Buried somewhere in this thread is information on the hotel

The Square. I just booked this as it seems to be one of a few that has rooms available for our cruise in August of next year! I used Booking.com and got a refundable rate with breakfast included. Can you tell me anything about this establishment? I have read mixed reviews. Do they have a resturant close by?

We will be arriving late in the am and will be dead tired after a 14 hour flight. Plan on grabbing a bite to eat around Tivoli and hitting the bed ASAP! Next day I will have time to eplore before boarding.

What is the easiest way to get from The Square to the port?

Thank you in advance!

:)

I stayed at the hotel 3 weeks ago. It is an excellent hotel. The reception staff are very helpful. The breakfast is also a good deal. There is a small bar in the lobby.

Across the road from the hotel is a Reef 'n'Beef restaurant. An Australian Steak house.Excellent. They also have a deal to provide room service at The Square.

The Square is very central and there are restaurants within easy reach in all directions.

We got a taxi to the port it will cost between 200Kr and 300kr (ours cost 300Kr but we had a van to carry 6 passengers and 13 cases)

Hard to believe we are all taking about the same hotel. We found the staff to be rude and unhelpful, the room ( a superior room) spare and tiny and the walls thin. The only positive thing I can say about the Square is the location is convenient.We were so glad that we were only there one night.We had been in Copenhagen two years ago and stayed in a lovely place that was fully booked this time. We couldn't wait to get onboard Seabourn the next day.

Dear Danish Viking and all of my CC friends.

Do any of you have experience with Bertrams Guldsmeden Hotel?

My DH I are considering for a 3 day stay in May.

DH has Parksinsons, although he is able to walk with a cane, it takes just a bit longer to get around.

Perhaps we should stay closer to Copenhagen central?

We would like to keep the rates @ 200$ or below.

Any recommendations?:confused:

We stayed at Bertram's two years ago and would have stayed there again this year but they were full. Charming rooms -- not large but quite nicely furnished. The location is a little off center but we like walking( about a 10 minute walk to Tivoli). We payed about 350 for a room with a little balcony.The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful.

The best recommended on hotels.com (in that price range) and sorted by hotel standard and location by me

City Hotel Nebo - 111USD

Cab-Inn City - 125 USD

Richmond Hotel - 184 USD

Ibsens Hotel - 184 USD

Zleep Hotel Astoria Copenhagen - 167 USD

Hotel Sct. Thomas - 175 USD

Copenhagen Crown Hotel - 197 USD

Best Western Mercur Hotel - 206 USD

Absalon City Hotel - 166 USD

Radisson Blu Falconer Hotel and Conference center - 184 USD

Hotel Danmark - 184 USD

Hotel Alexandra - 224 USD

Hotel Christian IV - 208 USD

Hotel Fox - 212 USD

Savoy Hotel - 213 USD

Cab-Inn Metro - 116 USD

Danhostel Copenhagen Downtown - 113 USD

Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers - 177 USD and with aircon.

Park In by Radisson Copenhagen Airport - 184 USD

We stayed at Bertram's two years ago and would have stayed there again this year but they were full. Charming rooms -- not large but quite nicely furnished. The location is a little off center but we like walking( about a 10 minute walk to Tivoli). We payed about 350 for a room with a little balcony.The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful.

Thanks for your reply. I booked with Bertrams for 211$ per night.

A good deal for what looks like a lovely, quiet hotel.

Hello CruisinEurope and Danish Viking

I don’t which one will respond to my post so I included both of you.

My group of 8 will be arriving in CPH on May 13 Sun at 720a and the cruise ship departs at 500p. Our ship will disembark on May 22 Tue at 700a and our return flight is at 330p.

Can either one of you provide us suggestions for the following?

1. Transportation from the airport to city center.

2. Suggestions to store our luggage.

3. Must see sights in CPH and approximate time we will need to see them.

4. Transportation from city center to the pier for NCL Sun.

5. Additional sights to see after our ship disembarks at 700a

6. Enough time to get to the airport for our return flight at 330p.

would you suggest an additional pre cruise day or will we have enough time to see the must see sights with 2 partial days? How would you change the itinerary if we added an additional day? Arrival time will be the same.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide to our group.

chong1948

The best recommended on hotels.com (in that price range) and sorted by hotel standard and location by me

City Hotel Nebo - 111USD

Cab-Inn City - 125 USD

Richmond Hotel - 184 USD

Ibsens Hotel - 184 USD

Zleep Hotel Astoria Copenhagen - 167 USD

Hotel Sct. Thomas - 175 USD

Copenhagen Crown Hotel - 197 USD

Best Western Mercur Hotel - 206 USD

Absalon City Hotel - 166 USD

Radisson Blu Falconer Hotel and Conference center - 184 USD

Hotel Danmark - 184 USD

Hotel Alexandra - 224 USD

Hotel Christian IV - 208 USD

Hotel Fox - 212 USD

Savoy Hotel - 213 USD

Cab-Inn Metro - 116 USD

Danhostel Copenhagen Downtown - 113 USD

Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers - 177 USD and with aircon.

Park In by Radisson Copenhagen Airport - 184 USD

Thank you so verymuch. This is a wonderful selection.

Here is a few tips

1) I would take the regular train (not the Metro) to the central station called København H.

2) Use the luggage storage at København H

3) Next to København H you can find Tivoli, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, a little bit further into the downtown area you can find Strøget shopping street, Christiansborg Palace, The Round Tower, Nyhavn (with canal tour) Amalienborg Palace and Rosenborg Palace.

If you finish at Rosenborg making a huuuge u-turn ;-) you can walk to Nørreport station and take the train back to København H.

4) You can take a taxi from København H to the freeport (or Langelinie)

Take a S-train to Nordhavn station and walk to the freeport from there

If Langelinie is the final destination you can take bus number 26 from København H instead.

MSC Poesia and Funchal are docked at Langelinie and Norwegian Sun at Freeport Terminal

6) You should take a train no later than 13:00 to be at the airport for your 15:30 departure because check in is 2 hours before departure for most airlines but check with your airline, travel time is around 20 minutes and the train station is located almost at the check in counters at terminal 3 and 5 minutes away from terminal 2.

Here is a few tips

1) I would take the regular train (not the Metro) to the central station called København H.

2) Use the luggage storage at København H

3) Next to København H you can find Tivoli, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, a little bit further into the downtown area you can find Strøget shopping street, Christiansborg Palace, The Round Tower, Nyhavn (with canal tour) Amalienborg Palace and Rosenborg Palace.

If you finish at Rosenborg making a huuuge u-turn ;-) you can walk to Nørreport station and take the train back to København H.

4) You can take a taxi from København H to the freeport (or Langelinie)

Take a S-train to Nordhavn station and walk to the freeport from there

If Langelinie is the final destination you can take bus number 26 from København H instead.

MSC Poesia and Funchal are docked at Langelinie and Norwegian Sun at Freeport Terminal

6) You should take a train no later than 13:00 to be at the airport for your 15:30 departure because check in is 2 hours before departure for most airlines but check with your airline, travel time is around 20 minutes and the train station is located almost at the check in counters at terminal 3 and 5 minutes away from terminal 2.

Thanks for your quick reply and tips.

Would spending parts of 2 day (8 hrs total) be enough time to see the main highlights of CPH or do you suggest we actually spend a full day in addition to the partial days? What additional sights would you suggest for the full day and would you change the order of your earlier tips?

• 2 weeks later...
Ineed to know the date and pier location before i can tell how to go there from the Square.

I'ts a very good hotel but people seems to complain from noise from HC Andersens boulevard, the irish pub and the metro construction site on the town hall square (all located on the same side of the building).

But if you order a room out to the small side street and/or on the upper floor it should be okay.

Will be arriving early afternoon of 29 August. Booked The Square for the night. Am rather handiapped so taking train (with luggage) from airport to hotel and from hotel to cruise port (will be sailing on Emerald Princes on 30 August) is out of the question. Must have taxi for both. Will ask for a room on the upper floors. Have booked room with breakfast for about

$250 which seems high? ut if it is a nice hotel am OK with it rather then taking a chance.

I´t seems to me that you are settled on taking a taxi, but The Square is located very close to the central station with direct railway link to the airport.

Price is 36 DKK

Bus 26 will get you directly from the hotel (bus stop located on town hall square) to the freeport terminal.

Just remember that the bus splits up after Østerbro Station so the direction should say Færgehavn Nord and not Langelinie.

Price is 24 DKK

I´t seems to me that you are settled on taking a taxi, but The Square is located very close to the central station with direct railway link to the airport.

Price is 36 DKK

Bus 26 will get you directly from the hotel (bus stop located on town hall square) to the freeport terminal.

Just remember that the bus splits up after Østerbro Station so the direction should say Færgehavn Nord and not Langelinie.

Price is 24 DKK

Thanks again! When I found a map of the area and converted the distance from the central station to the hotel it is only roughly 330 feet, which I could manage, even pulling 2 large suitcases! For sure the cost savings will be hugh! The only problem I can see is loading the luggage on the train but I may be able to find someone to help. Am going to give it a try!

As discussed in previous post we are booked at the Crowne plaza towers prior to our Cruise in May... .i am looking for transportation options between Ørestad and Nordhavn so we can get to Freeport / Frihavnen Terminal....

I see that there is a direct train option.. but can you advise how easy would be to use with a couple of heavy suitcases? stairs... crossing streets... signage.... when it is raining etc...? both from hotel to Ørestad station and from Nordhavn to Frihavnen if not by train what would be the cost by taxi?

Also it seems that right next to Crowne plaza there is a big mall.. is there a directory of services somewhere in english? e.g. restaurants for breakfast? grocery shops to stock on a few items (water, wine etc) for the cruise

thank you

--e

Archived