I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

"The monument to the fishwife was erected in 1940 and was sculpted by Christian Svejstrup Madsen. It commerates the fact that Gammel Strand was originally the site of Copenhagen fish market, and central to the commerce of the town. It was cold and unforgiving work for the women who sold the wares, and thus the monument depicts the traditional female fish hawker bundled up in thick in clothing to bear the wind and rain that so often afflicts Copenhagen. When the statue was erected there was still a market here, but now it is only the granite sculpture that remains to remind visitors of the reality of the past."

It's located on Gammel Strand in central Copenhagen across from Thorvaldsen's Museum.

Fish Wife = fiskerkone in Danish

Photos:

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//94/f/94fdb870167dfead3bc3ceb24b6fae60.jpg

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//c4/f/c4f4e3ceca0a9c896fd8bcbdb01ff59e.jpg

It's fun to take little detours off of the public streets, like Stroget. When you do, you'll find things that grab your attention. This little lady, all bundled up from the cold grabbed my heart during the winter of '70-71. She might not grab your's, but something will . Copenhagen is like that.

Thanks for taking the time to find this info. Cruisecritic folks are the best!!! I am going to make that something to see now that you have shared the story behind "her."

Hello! Our ship will be docking at Langelinie and we would like to get over to Nyhavn for a canal cruise. Can you please tell me:

a) How long of a walk this is?

b) Are taxi's readily available at the port or Nyhavn, and if so how long of a ride and how much would it cost?

Thanks!!

Danish Viking,

Thanks for the detail regarding the castles!! I am coming to Copenhagen in May and wonder if you can help me with some questions?

1. Do we need to to buy the train/bus ticket to these 2 castles ahead of time (on-line at the dsb website)? And do they take credit card from US at the ticket office?

2. I look at the dsb website, the ticket price varies from 43kr for a voucher ticket to 103.5kr for cash ticket. Which one do we need to buy?

3. I heard that dsb also offer a circular excursion ticket. Would you please let us know how does it work?

Thanks so much for your help & have a wonderful day!

Jen

Dybbølsbro - two b's! That's harder to say then rod grod med flude!

Danish Viking, I'm sure I made some mistakes in my posts on the last page. After forty years (eek!) it's easy to get the palaces' names mixed up and businesses that were open 15 years ago, might have long since closed (e.g., Carlsburg.. do they still have brewery tours). I'd really appreciate it if you could correct anything that I goofed up. I don't want to mislead any Cruise Critics!

THANK YOU for all you've shared!

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered. I haven't been able to find it through search and I haven't made it through all the posts yet. There will be 7 of us staying at The Square Hotel a few days before our cruise. We wanted to get a private transport to the dock for all of us. Can anyone give any suggestions?

Thanks!

I think that there are many CPH related topics in this board at the moment, so i will just bump this thread up to page 1 again so we can collect all related topics here.

I don't look in all the threads and therefore i can't help anyone with a question about Copenhagen if it's not posted here.

Danish Viking

Thank you for providing not just info but wise suggestions !

We will be on the Disney Magic & arriving in Copenhagen July 21 for 1 day.Please critique our itinerary :

Canal tour ( how long ? )

Tivoli 1 1/2 hrs

Hard Rock lunch ( Grandson request )

Rosenborg Castle

Grab a quick pastry ( any suggestions ? )

Back to ship ( any idea where the Magic will dock ? )

Can we walk to everything?

Should we get the Copenhagen Card ?

Thank you for your thoughtfulness ! :)

Gina

The canal tour will take around 1 hour for all routes, the walk from Nyhavn to Tivoli and the Hard Rock Café will take at least 30 minutes so i think that Rosenborg is out of the question unless that the ship is in port longer than usual.

I would like to help you even more so i will do some homework and post something more in the end of the week, but if you have the arrival and departure time it will help me alot.

The canal tour will take around 1 hour for all routes, the walk from Nyhavn to Tivoli and the Hard Rock Café will take at least 30 minutes so i think that Rosenborg is out of the question unless that the ship is in port longer than usual.

I would like to help you even more so i will do some homework and post something more in the end of the week, but if you have the arrival and departure time it will help me alot.

Thanks so much !

the Disney Magic will be in Copenhagen Wed ,July 20 from 8:30 am-5:00pm

So if we skipped the Hard Rock, could we grab something quick to eat from a vendor and still have time for Rosenborg ?

Hey there!

An advance welcome to Copenhagen!

The airport is on one end of the island, while the cruise port is on the other. They are quite far away.

What I would suggest doing is purchasing a COPENHAGEN CARD from the airport when you arrive. You can purchase them in either 24 hour or 72 hour time limits. Choose whatever will work best for your stay.

That card is your "golden ticket" to ALL of the public transportation in the city. Luckily, it is VERY easy to navigate the metro, subway, and busses in Copenhagen. You will be quite able to take the subway from the airport and get quite close to the port. You will get off at Osterport. From there, take a VERY SHORT taxi ride to the pier.

This is all VERY easy to do.

In addition, the Copenhagen card will get you FREE or DISCOUNTED admission in to some of the city's top attractions. There is a fantastic "hop on/hop off" bus tour that you can get a discounted rate for with the card. That is the best way to get a lay of the land and determine what you REALLY want to see/do with your time.

Some not to miss items:

Tivoli (regardless if you have kids or not)

Rosenburg Castle (where the crown jewels are)

Amalienborg Palace (where the Queen & her family reside)

The little Mermaid statue is quite close to the pier - so that will be easy for you to see. Don't plan a whole day around her - as she is QUITE tiny.

Any other specific questions?

Should we consider a ship tour or can you recommend a local tour company or is this someplace we can do ourselves?

Thank you,

Joyce

This thread got so long, I posted my question separately, but maybe you have this thread bookmarked?

Anyway, my question was about Ascot. I saw on the photo a set of stairs - is there an elevator? Are all rooms accessible by the elevator, or should we go up those steep stairs first?

Never mind, got a reply from the hotel:

The ground floor and the reception is on the same level. We do have an elevator at our reception/groundfloor going to the fourth floor. But we have two departments, where you, in the

other department, have to walk a stair up, then cross the hall and take the elevator there.

We can not guarantee which department of the building you will be placed in, but you can request to have a room with a possibility to take the elevator directly to the room.

If you need any more information please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Archived