I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

@ Kugel

Try to look at this page

http://www.guides.dk/2-59-english.html

@ Barbie075

The link to the map i was talking about earlier is here.

http://map.krak.dk/m/MkyOt

@ Dayenu

It´s good that you found the info, i wanted to help you but you were quicker than me :)

@ jan44134

If you came in 3 days earlier you could join my 25th years birthday. :-)

But to answer your question i would go to the airport and find a restaurant inside Terminal 3, there is an indoor passage from the hotel and to the terminal.

@ scrapycruiser

Disney Magic is docking at Langelinie Pier according to the cruise list but it says the 21th of july not the 20th???????

The Magic arrives at 07:30 so there is plenty of time to get some danish currency at the tourist office and get with bus number 26 to Nyhavn/Kongens Nytorv were the canal tour starts.

The bus leaves in a 20 minute interval so there is plenty of time to catch the bus, the departure times are xx:10, xx:30 and xx:50 but be there a little bit earlier.

After the canal tour you can either walk through the Strøget shopping street to Tivoli or take bus number 26 again and get of at Tivoli.

But the Destination sign must say Ålholm Plads because else you will get back to the ship.

You can also get the Metro from Kongen Nytorv heading for Vanløse and with a change of trains at Nørreport get to the Central Station (København H), that is located next to Tivoli and the Hard Rock Cafe.

From Tivoli and the Hard Rock and to Rosenborg Slot you just take the S-trains departing from track 9-10 and get of at Nørreport and walk 500 meters along the main street (Nørre Voldgade and Øster Voldgade) that is going parallel with the station up to the castle.

The last stage of Tour de Copenhagen will take you back to the Øster Voldgade but instead of going left back to Nørreport you turn right and walk up to the intersection at Øster Voldgade and Sølvgade.

just on the other side of the intersection you will find a bus stop were you will find bus number 26 again.

On a timetable the stop is called Sølvgade and it will ofcourse be the bus stop located on the right side of the street, not the left side.

But only take the bus that is departing at xx.14, xx:34 and xx:54 because the other departures will get you to the other cruise terminals but not Langelinie.

The destination display will say Langelinie -the cruise ships and the other one that you should avoid will say Færgehavn Nord.

The travel time from the busstop and to Langelinie is only 8 minutes.

So to sum it up your schedule will look like this

Arriving to Copenhagen

Bus #26 from Langelinie to Nyhavn

Canal tour

Walk or bus #26 or metro & train to Tivoli.

Tivoli

Hard Rock Cafe

Train to Rosenborg Slot

Rosenborg Slot

A short walk to bus #26 and then back to Langelinie.

Goodbye Copenhagen

Not sure is you already addressed this question. Sorry if you have done this once.

We will be on Princess cruise line. I believe it docks at Faergehaven or Frihaven. Is the trains station close by? and does the train take you to the airport or would it involve more than 1 train? And what is the cost from port to airport

your ship will dock at the freeport terminal.

You need to walk 10-15 minutes to Nordhavn Station, just look at the map i posted to Barbie075.

Now there is 2 options.

1) Take the S-train to the next station Østerport and change to a Öresund train heading for the airport or Malmö and other cities in Sweden.

2) Take the S-train one stop further to Nørreport and change to Metro line M2 heading for Lufthavnen, Lufthavnen is the danish word for the airport.

The price is the same for both routes and that is 3 fare zones (34 kr.) but if you are more people together there is most of the time a cheaper price.

So if want to i can give you a better price if you tell me how many people there are in the group and if the are any children aged 0-11 and 12-15.

Just discovered your posts and they are very helpful.

Traveling alone and will be able to squeeze in only one extra day after disembarking in August (on a Friday).

I plan on trying to take bus 26 into town (should be able to navigate with my luggage) and will be staying one night at the Cab Inn near Tivoli (I realize rooms are small, but don't plan on being in it other than to sleep). I hope to get to the hotel Friday fairly early (again only have the one full day) and have emailed the Cab Inn several times asking if they provide luggage storage, but have yet to get any type of reply. Do you know if luggage storage is something that is common in Copenhagen, or is this more of an "American" custom (I have only been to Europe once before, and did not need to store luggage).

Thanks again!

What I found online today...

Luggage storage at Copenhagen Central Station is by Track 11/12.

Large lockers are about $7.35(40 DKK). Don't know what these fill fit?

Drop off (apparently in a room under guard) is about $8.30 (45 DKK) per suitcase.

If you only need transportation and only need to travel inside Copenhagen (also the airport) there is now a new option, City Pass that covers zone 1 to 4.

The price for the 24 hour card is 70 dkk and for the 72 hour card is 180 dkk.

The price for the normal 24 hour card that covers the greater Copenhagen area including the cities were the viking ship museum and Frederiksborg and Kronborg Castle are located is 125 dkk.

I just checked the Port chart for where the Star Princess will be docking on August 30th and it said C245. Can you tell me where that is??

Can you please give me a link for the port chart? We will be there in July, but I haven't found where we will be docked.

Thanks.

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi,

I'm really counting on your help here. I'm soooo confused.

At the airport we can buy train/metro tickets.

What is the difference between the two?

I'm thinking we take the Metro to Central. I'm wanting to end up

at Helolandsgade 3. Where do I get off and how far would it be

to walk to that address?

Can I buy my ticket with my Visa card? We don't have any Denmark

money yet. Do I need it for a cab to the port on the next day?

Some say everyone will use the Visa card....true or not?

Thanking you in advance.

Hello, we are arriving on the Norwegian Sun on June 30. From that link to the charts I see that is says C190. Does that mean we arrive at the Freeport Terminal and not at Langelinie? If so I have to alter my plans slightly.

Many thanks.

Calken

Maybe im a little bit grumpy but i would never say something like Denmark money, it just sounds very ignorant or that you don't care for what the name is.

But back to your question.

Helgolandsgade is located only 2 blocks away from the central station so about 5-10 minutes its on the other side of where Tivoli is located.

Don't take the metro because you'll need to change to a train or S-train at Nørreport, just take the train from the airport and 3 stops and further you are at the central station.

If it is a regular visa card it is generally accepted but there are atm's at the airport where you can get some danish currencies aka kroner.

Maybe im a little bit grumpy but i would never say something like Denmark money, it just sounds very ignorant or that you don't care for what the name is.

But back to your question.

Helgolandsgade is located only 2 blocks away from the central station so about 5-10 minutes its on the other side of where Tivoli is located.

Don't take the metro because you'll need to change to a train or S-train at Nørreport, just take the train from the airport and 3 stops and further you are at the central station.

If it is a regular visa card it is generally accepted but there are atm's at the airport where you can get some danish currencies aka kroner.

Please, I don't mean to insult anyone. "sounds very ignorant" maybe because I'm looking at 6 different countries and they all seem to have their own name for their money and being a first time trip to Europe it's conofusing. You are right...I just didn't go back and find the correct name...sorry about that.

Now, to the train question...you said "take the train from the airport and 3 stops and further you are at the central station"...does that mean the fourth stop is where we get off or is it that the third stop is Central Station. Is Central Station the end of the train run or does it go further?

@ nationaltreasure79

If you take the S-train to Frederiksborg Castle just make sure that you will first be around Copenhagen after noon because the Castle first open at 10:00 and you should allow yourself atleast 1 or 1,5 hour inside but also at the garden outside.

A good plan is to take a "early" train at 08:25 from the central station (S-train line E to Hillerød).

There is just under 1 mile (1,4 km) from the train station too the castle and it include a nice walk trough Hillerød town center and the lake surrounding the castle.

It will leave you at the castle 30-40 minutes before the castle opens, you can also take bus number 701 and 702 from the station but that is only 3 minutes shorter than walking.

The S-train for Hillerød depart from Central station at xx:05, xx:25 and xx:55

But since you stay at The Square, the more obvious choice is to take the train from Vesterport where the train departs at xx:06, xx:26 and xx:46.

Vesterport is located closer to your hotel and 1 stop closer to Hillerød.

On the way back to Copenhagen you can cath a bus from just outside the castle (or walk).

The bus is route 702 that drives from almost outside the main gate it drives towards Egedammen but it is in the direction of the train station.

The bus gives you 6 minutes to change to a S-train back to Copenhagen, if you take the bus at 11:30 you will be back in Copenhagen at 12:21

The timetable is here (Lørdag = Saturday) this is only the direction from the castle at to Hillerød station.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/koreplaner/sogeresultat/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9012200070210000&stop_gid=9025200000006769

On the way home the saturday rush hour traffic has kicked in at 10:22 and the S-train now departs every 10 minute from Hillerød towards Copenhagen at xx:02, xx:12 and so on.

Back in Copenhagen you can get off at Nørreport and easily walk to Rosenborg and Later on Amalienborg but remember that Rosenborg will close at 17:00 and Amalienborg at 16:00.

If i was you i will skip the Round Tower and Our Saviors Church and take them on your strolling tour on strøget on friday.

After all the castles and museums i would take the short walk from Amalienborg to Nyhavn and take a canaltour and then a nice dinner at one of the many restaurants on Nyhavn.

I do like the sunday initiary to the deer garden :-)

When you are at the deer garden promise me to take a look at the worlds oldest amusement park "Bakken" located inside the Huuuge Deer park, there is a free entrance so just soak up the atmosphere.

The deer park is well served with trains by the nearby Klampenborg Station where both S-trains and Öresund trains departs to and from Copenhagen and Nivå in the other direction.

you can either walk from the hotel to the central station and take the Öresund train heading for Nivå and get off at Klampenborg, do not take the Öresund train heading for Helsingør/Elinore because it bypass Klampenborg.

The train goes at xx:08 xx:28 and xx:48.

Or you can walk to Vesterport and take the S-train line C its both a shorter walk and a station closer to Klampenborg.

But the S-train stops at 5 stops more than the Öresund trains (if you count from central station) but it only takes 2 minutes more if you take it from Vesterport instead of the central station.

The S-train Line C goes at xx:10, xx:30 and xx:50

But also from from the central station at xx:09, xx:29 and xx:49.

On the way back to Copenhagen the Öresund trains goes from Klampenborg at xx:14, xx:34 and xx:54 and the S-train line C goes at xx:16, xx:36 and xx:56

The trips takes around 25 minutes including the walk to/from the hotel

If others are reading this remember that this is the Saturday and Sunday schedules that i posted here.

If you are in Copenhagen on Mondays to fridays there will be more frequent trains and also on saturdays, but more reduced.

Thank you!

This site is awesome to help plan what to do in Copenhagen.

We are coming to Copenhagen for the first time on Sept 2nd 2010.

Can anyone suggest any special festivals or musical events on the 2nd and 3rd of September 2010?

Since we leave on Vision of the Seas, we are looking at transport options to ther ship. We do not have a hotel booked yet.

Nancy

@ Milwaukeeee

Maybe i was a little bit harsh, but i did say that i was grumpy :)

The trains runs to Helsingør/Elsinore and Nivå and it is the third stop after the Airport, but they will announce the stop in english.

@ Ripley's Lady

There is no event announced so far but ask again when we get closer to september.

Danish Viking, how does this sound for a 2nd Day in Copoenhagen?

Ship arrives on Tuesday, August 10th at 5:00AM

Freeport Terminal C245

From what I think I read:

We need to walk 10 minutes to Nordhavn train Station from Freeport terminal.

[is there a bus from Freeport to Nordhaven? We will have luggage with us]

Then 2 options:

1) Take the S-train to the next station at Østerport and change to a Öresund train heading for the airport (Lufthavnen).

- or -

2) Take the S-train one stop further to Nørreport and change to Metro line M2 heading for airport.

[Our hotel is the airport Hilton ... to drop off our luggage]

[We could also skip going all the way to the Airport Hilton, and just store our luggage at central station until we get back from the two excursions below - What do you suggest?]

We want to see both:

1) Kronborg Castle at Helsingør

2) Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerød

Your directions have been excellent, and I believe I understand how to reach each destination from central station.

Can we fit both excursions easily in the same day (assuming we spend somewhere about 1 - 1.5 hours at each site)?

Which (Kronborg or Frederiksborg) to do first?

Travel time plus on-site time at Frederiksborg seems to be about 4 hours, or so. Is that also true for Kronborg (assuming we leave from central station)?

Sorry about so many questions,

Thank you for all your time and the great hospitality you have awarded us!

Genie

We will be visiting for one day in July on the Disney Magic. I was in CPH when I was in high school and loved Tivoli and the polse carts- I have been yearning for polse with onion chips for 40 years- so that is a must do even if we wont be able to see Tivoli at night.:(

I am trying to figure out how much of my remaining list is viable and whether we can actually walk from the ship (especially if the ship provides a shuttle part-way). These are: Museum of Resistance; Carlsberg Glypotek and either the National Museum or Rosenberg Castle. Could you please comment on whether it is possible to fit these into a one-day stopover? And if we have to choose, which ones should I keep/drop?Thank you.

We will be visiting for one day in July on the Disney Magic. I was in CPH when I was in high school and loved Tivoli and the polse carts- I have been yearning for polse with onion chips for 40 years- so that is a must do even if we wont be able to see Tivoli at night.:(

I am trying to figure out how much of my remaining list is viable and whether we can actually walk from the ship (especially if the ship provides a shuttle part-way). These are: Museum of Resistance; Carlsberg Glypotek and either the National Museum or Rosenberg Castle. Could you please comment on whether it is possible to fit these into a one-day stopover? And if we have to choose, which ones should I keep/drop?Thank you.

I think I'm very hungry right now so I have to ask...what is/are "polse" and are onion chips what we call onion rings (fried slices of onions)? Sounds delish.

Everyone mentons Tivoli and I'm wondering if you can give any advice about the "Gardens". Are they something outstanding or are they just pretty flowers in an amusement/food park?

I hear you should go to Tivoli at night. Can you still enjoy the Gardens?

I see the price for 1-3 tickets for the rides, for 2010 is about $5.00. I don't understand if that means one ticket is $5.00 so 3 tickets would be $15.00???Does that mean a ride, like the Carousel could cost anywhere from $5.00 to $15.00 dollars. Do you know how many tickets are needed to ride the Carousel? Thanks for your help...it is very much appreciated.

What train do I take to get to Kronberg Castle? Do I catch that train at the central station? Where do I get off? How often does it leave the station? Also how often do they return to the station?

Thank you so much for all of the valuable information you are providing us with. Barbara

Archived