I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

What are harbor buses 901, 902, 903? Are they buses or boats? On the map I found they look like they are moving on canals only.

If we get 24 hr transport passes (not a Copenhagen card for museum + buses) will those lines be covered?

What train do I take to get to Kronberg Castle? Do I catch that train at the central station? Where do I get off? How often does it leave the station? Also how often do they return to the station?

Thank you so much for all of the valuable information you are providing us with. Barbara

My notes from what others, including DanishViking, have posted:

Kronborg Castle at Helsingør. http://www.kronborg.dk You can take the bus FURTHER up the coast 46 kilometers (1 hour) and go visit "Hamlet's Castle" up in Helsingør. Most famous royal castle of Denmark - setting of Shakespeare's Hamlet. Great hall is largest in Europe. There are guided tours in English at 11:30 and at 13:30 (and at 11:00 and 13:00 in the casemates). Advised by one reply to buy the ice cream in Helsingør - 30 miles by train from Copenhagen in the city of Elsinore - coastal train (S-train Line F) from Copenhagen central station (Hovedbanegården) to Elsinore Station - leaves every 20 minutes. From the Elsinore station it is a 10 minute walk to the the castle. Trip by train will take 45 minutes.

What are harbor buses 901, 902, 903? Are they buses or boats? On the map I found they look like they are moving on canals only.

If we get 24 hr transport passes (not a Copenhagen card for museum + buses) will those lines be covered?

That is a good question - I wonder if anyone on the thread can answer the question. we prefer to travel on water if at all possible - and if it is calm and safe.

We appreciate the expert knowledge being shared about the Baltics.:)

Nancy

Wow that was alot of questions and i will get back to all of you in the weekend, but just some quick answers.

@ Calken

C190 is Langelinie so no change of plans there.

@ TheGenie and Barbie075

S-train line F will get you to Farum or Frederikssund, You will have to take the Öresund train heading for Helsingør/Elsinore.

@ Dayenu

They are indeed water busses.

@ Milwaukeeee

I am sorry for misunderstanding your post and i'll hope that your not mad at me, but sometime cultural and language barriers can be a problem so maybe i was to quick to make that comment.

I see on the map that the #26 bus goes to Freeport (and I've read that it will get you to within a 5-10 minute walk from the ship).

1) Does Bus #26 make a stop at the Nordhavn train station?

2) Does Bus #26 also operate during weekends (specifically Saturday, July 31st) to and from the Free Port Terminal [C245]?

Thanks !

I will make some long answers to the long questions later in the weekend, but now its time for the short ones.

@ floridafolks

you are correct it is a sausage but i don't know were the onion thing came from because i have only seen them at places like Burger King, not at a pølsevogn.

@ TheGenie

The bus will stop nearby but it is easier to get off at Østerport station instead, but the bus will not go to the freeport terminal in the weekends.

We are arriving for 1 day on the Jewel of the Seas, 6/2/10, 0800-1700. Would like to walk from ship all the way to Tivoli, stopping and seeing the 3 castles and sights along the way knowing that most buildings do not open until 1000. Is this reasonable?

Walking in itself is not the problem, just judging the distance!

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi,

Need "to do" suggestions. In Copenhagen on a Monday..

don't arrive till 3 pm - leave again at 10 pm.

Any suggestions for sights we may be able to squeeze

into such a short (and late day) time??

I am trying to figure out whether, in addition to Tivoli, how much of my remaining list is viable. Also, recent posts hav indicated that the Magic will dock at Langelin(?) - where is that in relation to the town. Can we walk from the ship or will we need to get a CPH and take a bus?

The other sites I would like to see are: Museum of Resistance; Carlsberg Glypotek and either the National Museum or Rosenberg Castle. Could you please comment on whether it is possible to fit these into a one-day stopover? And if we have to choose, which ones should I keep/drop?Thank you.

We are arriving for 1 day on the Jewel of the Seas, 6/2/10, 0800-1700. Would like to walk from ship all the way to Tivoli, stopping and seeing the 3 castles and sights along the way knowing that most buildings do not open until 1000. Is this reasonable?

Walking in itself is not the problem, just judging the distance!

Ah Lulu, you have asked the great question, since we did just that. I posted this info in another thread on Copenhagen, down the page a bit, but if you email the tourist office in Copenhagen

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/ (click on the contact Us)

And ask them to send you any and all info they can about Copenhagen, they should send you a great map of the city. On this map there are a couple of great walking tours, one of which we did.

It is a basic walking tour that encompasses all the major sites of the city and more, lets you stroll around and it should take about 4-5 hours at a leisurely pace. We also added an hour for the canal boat tour from Nyhavn (a must do), and about 1/2 hour to see the Changing of the Guard at the Palace.

We sort of made a few minor adjustments, but we loved walking around Copenhagen, trying some of the smaller streets, and just stopping when we wanted. One of our highlights, when we were walking back from Rosenborg Castle, we stopped in a park to have some ice cream and just sit and relax. We were there on a Sunday, and so mnay families were out playing and enjoying the marvelous day. We stopped and chatted with several of them, and it really made our visit that much more personal.

again, it is definitely not a hard walk to Tivoli and then back to the ship.

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Len

I'm a little confused...

Nordhavn train station seems closer to Freeport Terminal C245 than the Østerport train station ?

Since the #26 bus does not go to Freeport on the weekend:

Can I catch a cab to Freeport from either the Østerport station or Nordhavn train station ?

Which train station is easiest to get the cab?

freeport.jpg.c3d0bdfb40eb4883c386037596da5063.jpg

I will be leaving Copenhagen (after a two day stay) on Vision of the Seas Sept 4th, 2010.

How can we figure out which peir the ship leaves from?

Can anyone tell me?

And the next question is - Can two people with one suitcase each get to that pier by public transportation - maybe with a Copenhagen pass?

Can the passes be purchased for three days?

Many thanks to those who live in Copenhagen for answering these questions!

Hi -

I will be in Copenhagen on the Disney Magic on June 27th. We'd like to do a canal cruise and then go to Tivoli. What's the best way to get from the port (Langelinie) to a DFDS canal tour -- from there to Tivoli -- and then from Tivoli back to the boat. Can we walk any part of this or need to take a cab?

Many thanks!

Hi -

I will be in Copenhagen on the Disney Magic on June 27th. We'd like to do a canal cruise and then go to Tivoli. What's the best way to get from the port (Langelinie) to a DFDS canal tour -- from there to Tivoli -- and then from Tivoli back to the boat. Can we walk any part of this or need to take a cab?

Many thanks!

Pixie

See my post a few posts back. The walk from the pier to Nyhavn is about 20-30 minutes and a great walk along the waterfront. From there the walk to Tivoli is maybe a bit longer, but also not a bad walk,. and we loved just walking thru the streets.

From Tivoli depending if you are going into Tivoli, and how long you may be staying there, you can walk to Rosenborg's Castle and from there back to the ship. It should take about an hour at a leisurely pace. If you are tired or need to get back to the ship quicker, yes a cab would do fine. We loved to walk and wander around, so we just loved our time in Copenhagen and the fabulous walking tours.

Cheers

Len

Hello again

I have been busy this weekend so i hope that all the long answers can wait a little bit.

To all the new users of the board i can tell you that we were 2 people answering questions in this thread but CruisinEurope who started the thread isn't active anymore so sadly i am the only one posting at this moment.

But back to the quickies

@ TheGenie

You can easily walk to Nordhavn but if you want to take a taxi i would say that Østerport is the best choice.

We plan to depart the Star at 6am for a 9:15 am flight back to the States. With luggage and at that hour, public transportation isn't an option for us. What do you recommend? We have to prebook so they'll be waiting for us at the pier that morning. Can we prebook a taxi or car service? Thanks

I have a questions about the ice bar in Hotel 27. We will be in Copenhagen for just one day. We have booked a shore excursion, but it does not include a visit to the ice bar. It is located close enough to the pier that we might be able to make side trip? Can people just walk in off the street and visit? We are mainly interested in see what it looks like, than actually drinking there.

Thank you for your help.

Hello again i hope that your guys still have faith in me, im planning on answering all the questions this weekend because i do have some time off monday + a short day at work saturday.

So there is no excuses from me this time around, even the school where me and my friends practice indoor soccer is closed for the winter holidays. :-)

Dear Danish Viking,

I missed the fact that you answered my question about C190 last week. I just saw your answer today.

Thanks very much for letting me know that it is Langelinie. My plans are now back on track!

Calken

@ Genie

Danish Viking, how does this sound for a 2nd Day in Copoenhagen?

Ship arrives on Tuesday, August 10th at 5:00AM

Freeport Terminal C245

From what I think I read:

We need to walk 10 minutes to Nordhavn train Station from Freeport terminal.

[is there a bus from Freeport to Nordhaven? We will have luggage with us]

As you have figured out now you can use bus number 26 and get of at Østerport.

Then 2 options:

1) Take the S-train to the next station at Østerport and change to a Öresund train heading for the airport (Lufthavnen).

- or -

2) Take the S-train one stop further to Nørreport and change to Metro line M2 heading for airport.

[Our hotel is the airport Hilton ... to drop off our luggage]

[We could also skip going all the way to the Airport Hilton, and just store our luggage at central station until we get back from the two excursions below - What do you suggest?]

I would use the luggage storage at the Central station (København H) so you don´t have to get back to and from the airport.

The only "problem" will be that on the way home from your trip you will have to get off at København H and take your luggage and jump on the next train (on the same service) that are going 10 or 20 minutes after the one you arrived with.

That is only if you are planning on using the Initiary that i posted a few pages back, i believe that you referred to that one.????

We want to see both:

1) Kronborg Castle at Helsingør

2) Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerød

Your directions have been excellent, and I believe I understand how to reach each destination from central station.

Can we fit both excursions easily in the same day (assuming we spend somewhere about 1 - 1.5 hours at each site)?

Which (Kronborg or Frederiksborg) to do first?

It can easily be done in one day, i did this initary with a night in Tivoli at the end, so it is possible. :)

We did it with Frederiksborg first, and the good thing about this is that the last train journey from Helsingør/Elsinore will be with a more comfortable train.

Travel time plus on-site time at Frederiksborg seems to be about 4 hours, or so. Is that also true for Kronborg (assuming we leave from central station)?

The travel time is almost the same and so is the distance from the train stations to the castle.

Sorry about so many questions,

Thank you for all your time and the great hospitality you have awarded us!

Genie

You don´t have to be sorry, no one forces me to do this :)

Archived