gratuities

miss-heli

Just read a review on another site by a guy on the Jewel Baltic cruise.

He states that on the last day of the cruise he went to reception had his gratuities removed and tipped staff directly.

He said they didn't like it but let him do it !!

Didn't think this could be done on NCL...any comments

Just read a review on another site by a guy on the Jewel Baltic cruise.

He states that on the last day of the cruise he went to reception had his gratuities removed and tipped staff directly.

He said they didn't like it but let him do it !!

Didn't think this could be done on NCL...any comments

I don't think it can be done on NCL. I don't mean removing the gratuities but findiing all those that share in the pool and helped make the guys cruise wonderful. You may have 30 or 40 different servers to start with some you will never see more then once.

Why go through the pain of spending a day trying to find all of them .I don't think for a minute that guy did. The $10 a day is what makes Freestyle possible.

I call this "Selective Tipping"......you select you who care or don't care to tip. NCL does not prohibit selective tipping, but they don't encourage it. Think of all the "behind the scenes" people who lost their tip.

We like the automatic gratuity because we know exactly how much we will spend on tipping. Of course, we do tip on board when it's appropriate. And, another thing you can do is to fill out the cards in the various restaurants and praise the service and name the server. Same goes for the exit survey, remember the names and hand out the cudos. If I'm not happy with a crew member, I do not mention him/her by name. Unfortunately, there's enough folks willing to criticize and no need for me to add fuel to the fire. Heck, everyone has a bad day now and then....better to just let it go.

countdown.pl?name=kcwingwalker&date=1-25-2009&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Norwegian Spirit

I call this "Selective Tipping"......you select you who care or don't care to tip. NCL does not prohibit selective tipping, but they don't encourage it. Think of all the "behind the scenes" people who lost their tip.

We like the automatic gratuity because we know exactly how much we will spend on tipping. Of course, we do tip on board when it's appropriate. And, another thing you can do is to fill out the cards in the various restaurants and praise the service and name the server. Same goes for the exit survey, remember the names and hand out the cudos. If I'm not happy with a crew member, I do not mention him/her by name. Unfortunately, there's enough folks willing to criticize and no need for me to add fuel to the fire. Heck, everyone has a bad day now and then....better to just let it go.

countdown.pl?name=kcwingwalker&date=1-25-2009&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Norwegian Spirit

Hey.. KCWingWalker.. I am not for sure if they have changed it for every ship.. every cruise.. if we were just an experiment.. or what.. We just sailed last week on the NCL Star.. but it wasn't until we were off the ship that I realized we had not been given an exit survey like we always have on NCL cruises. I was going to call NCL and ask them about it.. but have been busy on here.. trying to get our review written, having jet lag.. etc.. EARLY this morning when I couldn't sleep I found it in my email...I filled it out online via the link that was in the email, and that was that.

Again.. I haven't heard anyone commenting about this or if this is new.. etc.. But it was new for us.

We just sailed last week on the NCL Star.. but it wasn't until we were off the ship that I realized we had not been given an exit survey like we always have on NCL cruises.

Again.. I haven't heard anyone commenting about this or if this is new.. etc.. But it was new for us.

On the Dawn, they are using the S.T.Y.L.E. cards instead of a survey for every cabin.

Fill out a S.T.Y.L.E. card for a crew member you feel has given explemplary service, drop it off at Registration desk. The steward will see that the card is gone and automatically give you a new card.

Some pax will receive an online survey via e-mail after their cruise.

RE: Auto tipping. Yes, you can request that it be removed, but I don't recommend it. The Freestyle concept means that you are moving throughout the ship in different dining venues and have many different servers. I prefer to give an extra tip to certain crewmembers at the end of my cruise.

On the Dawn, they are using the S.T.Y.L.E. cards instead of a survey for every cabin.

Fill out a S.T.Y.L.E. card for a crew member you feel has given explemplary service, drop it off at Registration desk. The steward will see that the card is gone and automatically give you a new card.

Some pax will receive an online survey via e-mail after their cruise.

RE: Auto tipping. Yes, you can request that it be removed, but I don't recommend it. The Freestyle concept means that you are moving throughout the ship in different dining venues and have many different servers. I prefer to give an extra tip to certain crewmembers at the end of my cruise.

No.. the S.T.Y.L.E. card is different. We have had those on the last two NCL cruises.. where you "nominate" a crew member who has gone above and beyond to make your cruise special. I LOVE those cards.. had to ask for three extra on this cruise.

The survery I'm talking about is like four or five pages.. already comes printed with your name and cabin number on it.. etc.. and has little bubble spaces you fill out for like Agree, strongly Disagree, etc. That was absent on this last cruise.. but a online version was emaled to us.

Yes, I know the STYLE cards are different.

They stopped/ceased doing the surveys on the Dawn. They felt the time was better spent with the pax instead of getting officers/crew together in meeting after meeting to discuss the surveys.

The survery I'm talking about is like four or five pages.. already comes printed with your name and cabin number on it.. etc.. and has little bubble spaces you fill out for like Agree, strongly Disagree, etc. That was absent on this last cruise.. but a online version was emaled to us.

They are gone. As posted check you email inbox after you return for the new post cruise survey.

How do most people handle tipping on NCL cruises? We usually tip at all-inclusive resorts, even if it says tipping is included. We find we've gotten better service that way. We are booked in a balcony cabin on the Spirit to Canada/NE on 9/7, and the Freestyle 2.0 says that balcony and higher cabins are given a color-coded room key. Is this so they can decide you can afford to tip more? :D

How do most people handle tipping on NCL cruises? We usually tip at all-inclusive resorts, even if it says tipping is included. We find we've gotten better service that way. We are booked in a balcony cabin on the Spirit to Canada/NE on 9/7, and the Freestyle 2.0 says that balcony and higher cabins are given a color-coded room key. Is this so they can decide you can afford to tip more? :D

I still tip selectively above the auto-gratuity. Not required or expected but always appreciated and it normally makes everything go smoother onboard.

I'm glad you asked this question. We always stay in a suite because I am a big guy and need the extra space.. especially in the bathroom/shower, etc. And we like the perks we get with a suite. We have always tipped our butler and concierge, however on this last cruise, we were able to eat breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. When we eat in the specialty restaurants we always add extra tip to the charge because the service is always top notch. However for breakfast and lunch there was no charge. So we would always either leave the server a couple dollars tip or just hand it to them. I don't mean to sound trite.. but do you think that could have been insulting to them? I was always worried about that. Like I say.. we never had the option of eating breakfast and lunch in Cagney's, so I am curious what others have done or think should be done in that situation. We wouldn't tip in the main dinning room for breakfast or lunch unless it was exceptional service. We just didn't know if the servers in Cagney's for breakfast or lunch was a part of the tipping pool. Any ideas or advise or opinions?

I'm glad you asked this question. We always stay in a suite because I am a big guy and need the extra space.. especially in the bathroom/shower, etc. And we like the perks we get with a suite. We have always tipped our butler and concierge, however on this last cruise, we were able to eat breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. When we eat in the specialty restaurants we always add extra tip to the charge because the service is always top notch. However for breakfast and lunch there was no charge. So we would always either leave the server a couple dollars tip or just hand it to them. I don't mean to sound trite.. but do you think that could have been insulting to them? I was always worried about that. Like I say.. we never had the option of eating breakfast and lunch in Cagney's, so I am curious what others have done or think should be done in that situation. We wouldn't tip in the main dinning room for breakfast or lunch unless it was exceptional service. We just didn't know if the servers in Cagney's for breakfast or lunch was a part of the tipping pool. Any ideas or advise or opinions?

We always leave tips above and beyond the auto tips - we usually only eat in the specialties or room service, and we tip all of our waitstaff for B,L,D (including Cagney's) and whenever we order a bottle of wine as well. I also always add an additional tip for drink service, above the 15% they add on. I don't think anyone was ever insulted!

Robin

No.. the S.T.Y.L.E. card is different. We have had those on the last two NCL cruises.. where you "nominate" a crew member who has gone above and beyond to make your cruise special. I LOVE those cards.. had to ask for three extra on this cruise.

The survery I'm talking about is like four or five pages.. already comes printed with your name and cabin number on it.. etc.. and has little bubble spaces you fill out for like Agree, strongly Disagree, etc. That was absent on this last cruise.. but a online version was emaled to us.[/quote]

This was true on the Dawn last month. No fill-in surveys onboard. I don't recall if it was announced in the daily or over the PA but I did know about it. My email came a few days after returning.

The S.T.Y.L.E cards are on board and readily available. It is nice to make mention of those who were especially attentitive and added to your cruise experience.

We had the auto tipping ($140) removed on the last full day of the Pearl 6/1-6/8 cruise. The desk had me fill out a form where I merely wrote under reason: personal preference.

We tipped those who worked with us. The attitude and customer service has gone downhill since auto tipping. Because they know the tips are coming no matter what based on auto-tipping, the quality of service suffers.

Its clear that so few people take the service charge off that the front desk just makes it easy on themselves and lets them do so. Just so you know you actually are making it harder for the people who you give the cash to when you take off the service charge. They are required to turn in all the cash they receive from people who have taken the cash off. If you leave the service charge on they can keep all the extra amount. How do they know who has taken the auto tip off? the cruise line issues a list to the employees(especially the room service staff).

Did you actually have a service problem you should note it to the ship. But for the most part the people who are looking to find that they can take it off are also looking to leave less than the $10 suggested amount. it may not be true for the two who posted but if they just left the full suggested amount as cash why would they post this.....

We had the auto tipping ($140) removed on the last full day of the Pearl 6/1-6/8 cruise. The desk had me fill out a form where I merely wrote under reason: personal preference.

We tipped those who worked with us. The attitude and customer service has gone downhill since auto tipping. Because they know the tips are coming no matter what based on auto-tipping, the quality of service suffers.

What about all those that worked for you whom you did not even see:confused:

The crew on the ships hardly make enough to get by and they depend on the tipping pool to help out. Seems like $140.00 on a 7 day cruises is not much when you think of how many meals, snacks ect. in just food service alone, clearing tables, preparing food, replenishing the buffet ect. ect.Then if you happened to use room service it's just not the person who brought it to you , but the people who prepared it for you. Same with the room stewards, you see them, but not the ones doing your laundry making sure you have clean sheets and towels.

Okay enough said, we leave the$10.00 a day on and tip extra when someone goes beyond our expectations. We have done 7 NCL cruises with one more booked and have found the service better than two other lines we have cruised with. We just budget the $10.00 into our cruise fare and don't think twice about it.

Retiredonthesea

The crew on the ships hardly make enough to get by and they depend on the tipping pool to help out. Seems like $140.00 on a 7 day cruises is not much when you think of how many meals, snacks ect. in just food service alone, clearing tables, preparing food, replenishing the buffet ect. ect.Then if you happened to use room service it's just not the person who brought it to you , but the people who prepared it for you. Same with the room stewards, you see them, but not the ones doing your laundry making sure you have clean sheets and towels.

Okay enough said, we leave the$10.00 a day on and tip extra when someone goes beyond our expectations. We have done 7 NCL cruises with one more booked and have found the service better than two other lines we have cruised with. We just budget the $10.00 into our cruise fare and don't think twice about it.

Retiredonthesea

Retiredonthesea, I agree 100%. I think my doctor hired this poster to see if my blood pressure medicine was really working!:mad:

Retiredonthesea

You make a good point; and do not get me wrong, in the specialty restaurants and all we added extra gratuity in an amount as if it were a full restaurant meal. With the rooms, although the service was not great, our stewards received a nice gratuity in excess of $10 per day. Whether or not they turn it in or keep it, I do not know.

NCL should just add it into the original fare.

NCL, and I am sure other lines, nickle and dime people to death on these ships (auto-gratuity aside).

Your on the same page as me when it comes to "just add it into original fare". Even all inclusives are not what they claim to be.:eek:

I have heard crew members talk about giving some of their individual tips to the tip pool, but not exactly sure how it works.

Happy cruising,

Retiredonthesea

Wow, that really solved nothing. Those who you tipped individually, had to share . Those who worked behind the scene, got even less.

I've had great service. I love that the staff was friendly and helpful, not hoping for a tip but because that's how they are. Since I've worked with the public, I don't treat service people like servants and peons, I just treat them like I'd like to be treated. It's amazing how someone's attitude will ensure crappy service.

Since you assume the service is bad and people will only be helpful if you pay them, you're projecting how you want to be treated. I could always tell, when talking to a customer, who thought they were better than me. They were suspicious of anything I said, and assumed I was a loser who wasn't smart enough to be their equal. Heaven forbid a problem came up that I couldn't solve. You'd think that I personally set out to ruin someone's day. Trust me, most employees would sell blood, a kidney, anything to solve the problem. Most employees really strive to make customers happy. When we can't, it gets to us as well. When the yelling starts, nothing is going to be solved.

So if you think that auto-tipping makes service suffer. I feel bad for you. There are a whole host of people who actually want to do a great job because they have pride in what they do. To reduce every service person to a money-grubbing person who will only be nice if you pay them, is sad.

Wow, that really solved nothing. Those who you tipped individually, had to share . Those who worked behind the scene, got even less.

I've had great service. I love that the staff was friendly and helpful, not hoping for a tip but because that's how they are. Since I've worked with the public, I don't treat service people like servants and peons, I just treat them like I'd like to be treated. It's amazing how someones attitude will ensure crappy service.

Since you assume the service is bad and people will only be helpful if you pay them, you're projecting how you want to be treated. I could always tell, when talking to a customer, who thought they were better than I was. They were suspicious of anything I said and assumed I was a dumb loser who wasn't smart enough to be their caliber of person. Heaven forbid a problem came up that I couldn't solve. You'd think that I personally set out to ruin someone's day. Trust me, most employees would sell blood, a kidney, anything to solve whatever problem a customer had, just to make them GO AWAY.

So if you think that auto-tipping makes service suffer. I feel bad for you. There are a whole host of people who actually want to do a great job because they have pride in what they do. To reduce every service person to a money-grubbing person who will only be nice if you pay them, is sad.

I agree with you in part and also disagree. Yes there were people there who were happy to do their job and had pride in what they do. But there were also some on the ship I encountered who had an attitude. Especially some of the bar staff; if you did not order an over priced drink from them or ordered a beverage from the pre-paid soda card, you were sometimes greeted with a scowl not a smile.

I found many of the staff I encountered to be quite charming and those who went above and beyond were tipped extra (service charge or not).

It is easier for NCL to add the auto-tip into their fares - many people besides myself grow tired of the nickel & diming and/or add-on charges for everything. Your add-ons (excursions, etc) can add up to 50% of the fare.

I agree with you in part and also disagree. Yes there were people there who were happy to do their job and had pride in what they do. But there were also some on the ship I encountered who had an attitude. Especially some of the bar staff; if you did not order an over priced drink from them or ordered a beverage from the pre-paid soda card, you were sometimes greeted with a scowl not a smile.

I found many of the staff I encountered to be quite charming and those who went above and beyond were tipped extra (service charge or not).

It is easier for NCL to add the auto-tip into their fares - many people besides myself grow tired of the nickel & diming and/or add-on charges for everything. Your add-ons (excursions, etc) can add up to 50% of the fare.

Then I suggest you budget for it or don't go. :(

Do you really comprehend how many hours these people work? I've always been able to coax a smile out of the grumpiest of them!

What nickle and diming? I hear that about every cruise line and yet no one can give an example.

We choose to take the ships excursions but I know that every port of call has local tour operators, who are less expensive.

I was one of two people who showed up for a margarita tasting. Because there were only two of us, the bartender canceled they tasting and gave the other person and me a free margarita. No charge, no gratuity. I sat there and talked to her about the other NCL ships I'd been on, just shooting the breeze. Then she decided to give me a free, full sized margarita. At no time did I whip out my room key.

I've sat at the bar, drinking orange juice. Never had a bartender throw atitude, be rude or have trouble getting served. I'm just nice to people.

Archived