Newbie here - questions on beds

CruisinEurope

Hello!

I have a SERIOUSLY dumb question, but I've not yet been able to find the answer.

We are a family of 4 (me, DH, DD6, and DS4).

We are looking to travel economically and splurge on the shore excursions, etc. So to us, that means either an inside or an ocean view room. Not a suite.

How on EARTH do they sleep 4 people in an inside / oceanview cabin?

All I see anywhere is "two lower convertable beds" -- what does that mean? And where do the other 2 sleep??

So sorry for my ignorance - - I am just really confused.

(PS - ship is the NCL Jade, Dec 12th out of Barcelona).

Thanks!

For the room type you're looking at, it won't be a sofa bed...most likely. Probably, they are like bunk beds that pull down from the ceiling. Don't worry...you don't have to. That's what your cabin steward will do. There will be a ladder to get up there. You'll have to get someone else to respond to see a picture since I've never been on NCL to know how the railings look. I mention railings b/c I think the 6 y/o will work in a bunk bed, but I'd be leary for a 4 y/o. You might have to flip your DH to see who gets to climb into a upper bunk. The beds below would normall be able to be combined into a double bed (size between queen and king), but with using two bunks, you'll probably want to leave them as singles against the walls. That will make more floor space in the middle of the room anyway. At least that's what I would expect "two lower convertibles" should mean.

Just make sure you book a room that has capacity for 4 people. Sounds like you probably have.

The two lower beds will be pushed together to make one bed. Then the kids would have "pullman beds" which are beds that come down from the ceiling. Think "top bunk".

The problem with that is your children are young (like mine) so I don't allow my children in a pullman. The one time we had those, I slept up top. Doesn't make for the most romantic getaway with the hubby. ;)

It's your call. The BEST option is to find a room with a sofa bed and that the cabin sleeps 4.

The two lower beds will be pushed together to make one bed. Then the kids would have "pullman beds" which are beds that come down from the ceiling. Think "top bunk".

The problem with that is your children are young (like mine) so I don't allow my children in a pullman. The one time we had those, I slept up top. Doesn't make for the most romantic getaway with the hubby. ;)

It's your call. The BEST option is to find a room with a sofa bed and that the cabin sleeps 4.

Ok, THANK you both for your clarifications!!! That certainly puts things in perspective for me!

I think my 6yo would be OK, but not the 4yo since he is a climbing machine and would probably be up and down all night due to sheer novelty.

Looks like we'll be spending more on the room and less on shore excursions after all. BUT - hey! Thats OK too!

We're just going to be PSYCHED to see the SUN in December!

I read on this board that someone else put their almost three year old in the upper bunk, so that is what we did two weeks ago on the Infinity. (Please don't flame me) It worked out great. The cabin steward took the ladder out of the room so our son would not be climbing up and down the ladder. We put him up there and he thought he couldn't get down (thankfully). I think he could've gotten down without getting hurt because our bed was partially under his. The bed had a small rail and we put a pillow through it. This was a good solution for us but I know it could be unsafe for some kids. We were fairly confident that he would be okay.

We always bring a collapsible bedrail (by Safety First) for my DD, now 5. It is about 18 inches high, and extends nearly the length of the bed. We are able to pack in in our suitcases when we board, but always have to carry it out when we leave since the suitcases have been picked up the night before.

CeleBrat

I saw some folding tot cots for kids 5 and under. They use them in day care settings. They are cot off the floor. I just read the size of one and it was

52"L x 23"W x 6"H . Another thread talked about bringing a child size aerobed.

We put our 6 y.o. on one pullman and our very active 3 y.o. son on the other. We put him on the one above the bottom bed that we (parents) slept in, if he rolled off it would have been right on top of me....

By the time they crawled into bed at night they were soooo exhausted and they didn't move at all. We didn't spend enough time in the room to crawl up and down the ladders (they were put down at night only). We had absolutely no problems, but it is a personal comfort level decision.

We have had cabins with both Pullman type beds and sofa beds. My kids are 4 and 7 years old. We just booked an inside with pulldown beds.

Basically, the pull downs are really cool- they have bars on the side so your child will not fall off. My kids liked that arrangement a lot. Also, the sofa bed was good, we placed a bed pillow in between them so they would not fight!

I am sure you will have a great ime what ever configuaration you decide on.

THANK you so much!

My kids will be 5 and 7 at time of sailing.... I keep forgetting that they will BOTH have bdays prior to the cruise.

I guess as long as there is SOME type of railing they will be just fine -- and that suggestion of bringing one is good too!

That extra grand we save on the room (if we choose an interior at rock bottom vs. the balcony w/one sofa & 1 pulldown) could really be put to better use for our family... as we really only plan to sleep and change in the room.

I really appreciate everyone's comments - they ALL make me feel much more secure in my decision!

Most 5-year-olds do not fall out of bed. That said, of course there are a significant minority of restless kids who still do at that age. You know your kid best.

Tuck them in tight and they'll be pretty safe, though. Unless they are the type who always throw off all their covers at night.

Well, we splurged and got a balcony room. Figure we will put DS5 in to the sofa bed and DD7 up top. We will look at getting another travel railing to bring just in case.

THANK you so much for that picture! That helps us immensely for planning purposes! :D

Well, we splurged and got a balcony room. Figure we will put DS5 in to the sofa bed and DD7 up top. We will look at getting another travel railing to bring just in case.

THANK you so much for that picture! That helps us immensely for planning purposes! :D

What category did you choose? I might be able to track down the cabin pictures. I saw a few balcony pictures from Jade.

I read on this board that someone else put their almost three year old in the upper bunk, so that is what we did two weeks ago on the Infinity. (Please don't flame me) It worked out great. The cabin steward took the ladder out of the room so our son would not be climbing up and down the ladder. We put him up there and he thought he couldn't get down (thankfully). I think he could've gotten down without getting hurt because our bed was partially under his. The bed had a small rail and we put a pillow through it. This was a good solution for us but I know it could be unsafe for some kids. We were fairly confident that he would be okay.

My experience exactly! We've been cruis'n with our DS since he was 7. He's now 13. Our spring break cruise last year on the NCL Star to the Mexican Riviera had a bunk bed. He's slept in them before, no problem. There is a small guard rail and we didn't use the ladder either (it just took up room). I think the person that is the shortest should sleep on the bed under the bunk. That way there's less chance of bumping your head when you get up in the middle of the night.:eek:

We also separate the two bottom beds so as to make more room with the night table in the middle. Yes, it's not romantic, but than traveling with kids rarely is. If one wants to be romantic, well, you know the old saying "where there is a will, there is a way"!;)

Hope you guys have a great cruise!!!!!:D

I saw some folding tot cots for kids 5 and under. They use them in day care settings. They are cot off the floor. I just read the size of one and it was

52"L x 23"W x 6"H . Another thread talked about bringing a child size aerobed.

That's a great tip for hotel rooms, but, and this is just my experience as a much traveled family, there's not really enough room in cabins for these types of beds.;) The bunk beds in the cabins have small guard rails on them, and if you take the ladder away, to make more room in the cabin and to make more space also, I've never had a problem with my DS when we've cruised. Great ideas for hotel rooms though.:D

The bed rails aren't that big on NCL. So you might wanna bring an extra rail if you think there is any chance of the 5 year old moving around.

Here is a picture of an NCL upper bed

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1048120201039384971YzxMVb

That's what I like about you, you always come up with great responses!! I'd forgotten just how small the railing is :eek: , and we just sailed on NCL last year!:o A restless 5 year old might need something bigger, or mom/dad could sleep up there and put the child on the bottom with the beds separated.:)

That's what I like about you, you always come up with great responses!! I'd forgotten just how small the railing is :eek: , and we just sailed on NCL last year!:o A restless 5 year old might need something bigger, or mom/dad could sleep up there and put the child on the bottom with the beds separated.:)

LOL! I am overprotective by necessity now. It comes from my 4 year old actually rolling off the bed we had on the FLOOR in one cabin...lol.

If there is a way to have an accident, my 4 year old will find it, no doubt. ;)

Freedom - I found it. Well I found a crew members pictures of Balcony Category BB. So this is pretty much what yours (being a BA) will look like....

http://web.mac.com/cruisingjames/iWeb/Welcome/Norwegian%20Jade%20Cruise%20Pics.html

Yes, it's not romantic, but than traveling with kids rarely is. If one wants to be romantic, well, you know the old saying "where there is a will, there is a way"!;)

Hope you guys have a great cruise!!!!!:D

LOL I'm guessing that's what Kids Clubs are for! LOL :p

Archived