Sapphire Princess - balcony or mini-suite

cuterlmt

So, we got a quote from our travel agent. I was surprised at how high the balcony room is:w/out air balcony is 1085.17 per person; mini suite is 1,210.17 w/out air. So I'm thinking maybe we should do the mini-suite?

We might take the train into LA. Anyone done that? I posted elsewhere asking about that - any input would be appreciated on balcony vs. mini-suite and how to get from the train to the pier.

thanks!

If you choose a balcony stateroom, it will be more or less just a bedroom and small bath with shower only.

Mini suites on the other hand are much larger, have a nice sized sitting area (like a small livingroom), full sized tub/shower combination in a larger bathroom setting.

Only you can answer the question of how much time you spend in your stateroom. If you go there to only shower, change and sleep, then save the money and get the balcony stateroom. If you like to linger comfortably before dinner, or have a little extra time in your stateroom in the AM and late evening, then a mini suite (for that price) would be what you need to book.

Love the minis as I hate the idea of sitting at a desk chair (DH always seems to get the one other chair in the stateroom) or sitting on the bed all of the time when we are in our stateroom.

We prefer the minisuites. On our last cruise on the Sapphire we had friends in a balcony room and friends in a minisuite (like ours) and more friends who go upgraded at the last minute to a full suite. Of course we were all envious of the full suite upgrade, but we all agreed that the mini suite was the best value. And it is still our preference.

We had a balcony cabin on Caribe deck on our last cruise on the Sapphire and have booked the same for our '09 Sapphire cruise. We like that deck because the balconies are a good size and are half covered and half uncovered. Have thought about a mini-suite before but have found that with the balcony we really don't feel cramped in the cabin.

For us the mini-suite was the only option. If you are, let's say, larger than the average person, the bathrooms/showers are an unpleasant experience in the smaller staterooms. The mini-suite offers a full tub and more floor space in the bathroom.

Likewise, there is twice as much storage space and a comfortable loveseat for reading/dozing or suffering insomnia. It was also more comfortable for room service dining with a coffee table and ample seating.

I think I would always opt for the mini-suite as the best value, as others have said.

We now always get a mini as I love the sofa in them and I use it a lot. The balcony cabins do not have one and frankly the chair they give you is really hard to sit in and my DH uses that and I ended up using the bed. After awhile that gets really old so now at this time of my life we get mini's.

Marilyn

But are there any minis that offer the same size balcony you get on Caribe?

Also, with minis, your only option is all exposed or all covered, is that correct?

Mini balconies are only about 1-2 feet smaller then Caribe. ;)

No some ships (Coral/Island) have partial cover but on Grand class it is either covered or not. :)

Archived