Concerns about violence?

cuterlmt

We'll be on the Sapphire in April and took the same cruise before in 2006 - no problems at all - we walked all over Mazatlan on our own and had a great time. Did the zipline shore excursion in Puerto Vallarta which was a blast if you're up for an adventure. Have fun!

Theere were no drug pushers on the beach in Mazatlan or PV - if you dress normal and don't look like a pothead - they are not interested. The tourist beaches have security around. I saw some trinket sellers run off for being to agressive anywhere near the port.

Theere were no drug pushers on the beach in Mazatlan or PV - if you dress normal and don't look like a pothead - they are not interested.

FWIW, I was offered marijuana, cocaine, heroin, extacy and prescription pain pills while on beaches in Mazatlan and PV a couple weeks ago. The pushers openly displayed their products to me though I made it clear I was not interested. My appearance is far from a hippie or pothead.

I never felt unsafe while in any port but just wanted to state that I saw plenty of dealers on the beaches.

DO NOT buy any drugs! A simple No gracias and they will leave you alone.

Do not accept rides from "gypsy cabs" either!

Also, do not accept any offers to drive to a "house of pleasure" (this has happened twice to my husband and I---we must look freaky).

Do not accept drinks from strangers and do not ever leave your drink unattended.

Most of the native people I have met in Mexico love children and treat mothers with respect.

Have a great trip!

FWIW, I was offered marijuana, cocaine, heroin, extacy and prescription pain pills while on beaches in Mazatlan and PV a couple weeks ago. The pushers openly displayed their products to me though I made it clear I was not interested. My appearance is far from a hippie or pothead.

I never felt unsafe while in any port but just wanted to state that I saw plenty of dealers on the beaches.

In all my years of going to PV I have never seen what you have described...never ever, I can't believe this happened just like you said it did.

Of course you can buy whatever (just as you can in Canada or the States) but Mexican laws are so strict that a dealer openly selling his wares (just as you described) would be thrown in jail so fast and down there there is no bail system like we have.

What beach in PV was this at???? Also in Mazatlan too??

In all my years of going to PV I have never seen what you have described...never ever, I can't believe this happened just like you said it did.

Of course you can buy whatever (just as you can in Canada or the States) but Mexican laws are so strict that a dealer openly selling his wares (just as you described) would be thrown in jail so fast and down there there is no bail system like we have.

In all of our trips to the Mexican Riviera I have never witnessed anything like the incidences described in this thread either. We have been approached by beach vendors all the time, but never with anything illegal. The only place we have ever been approached was in Maui by someone trying to sell marijuana and that was years ago.

For anyone reading these posts I hope you aren't getting needlessly alarmed. The ports of Cabo, Mazatlan and PV are all very safe and tourist friendly which is why the cruise ships go there and why people return year after year to vacation there. If you stick to the tourist areas, attractions, resorts and beaches you will be as safe as you are in your hometown. The people are friendly and value tourists and the business they bring.

Just relax, go and have fun. Leave the irrational fears and worries at home.

We were in PV two weeks ago. We took a tour that led us up into the rain forest area and there were road stops with the local militia armed with machine guns patrolling this area. It was a little scary. Our tour guide told us that the drug trade in Mexico had greatly increased in the last couple of years and that they were checking cars for drug trafficking. We stayed on a tour and did not venture around by ourselves. If the local military are that present and strict about drug control, I am sure that you will not have anything to be too alarmed about.

I have been to Mexico various times, not just to the ports on the Mexican Riviera. On all my trips I felt very safe, never had any problems whatsoever.

Just use your common-sense, like you do in your home-town.

On some roads in the country there are indeed rockblocks with checks by the military. That is for your own safety, donot be scared about that.

Mexico is a very nice country and the mexicans are very friendly.

We are even planning another extended stay this winter.

I also forgot to mention in my last posting that we spent the entire day on the beach in Mazatlan (Stone Island) a few weeks ago, by ourselves, no tour. We were not offered drugs once. Offered plenty of other merchandise, but never any drugs.

We've been to the Mexican Riviera and separately to Puerto Vallarta (we own a timeshare there) and never have we felt in danger. In fact, if my wife went with girlfriends, I would not be nervous about their safety. Yes, in PV you will see some guys in the back of a pickup with guns, but I think that may be one reason they don't have problems ;) . JMHO.

Go and enjoy! :D

I have flown to PV twice and both times, stayed a week. I never had any safety issues or concerns. In fact, I am more concerened with the drug and crime problems here in Phoenix (where I live) than any place I have been in Meico. Just remember to always use common sense and always be aware of what's going on around you.

Have fun!

In Mazatlan we were on the beach in front of the restaurant "Tony's on the Beach". Sorry I don't know the name of the beach.

In PV, we took a taxi to the beach but I have no idea what the name was. It was about 20-30 minutes from the boat. It was a "U" shaped cove with a massage place on the far left of the beach and a resort on the far right side. Again, I don't recall the name.

The guys with the drugs were always the vendors selling the smoking pipes (among many other items). They typically had their drugs under wristbands, in their hats, socks, etc and they quickly flashed their wares at me.

Again, I never felt unsafe but there most certainly was drugs offered for sale on these beaches.

Archived