We downgraded!

niso2

We are sailing on the Oosterdam to Mexico in October and have done this itererary 2 times in the past with the kids (not on Hal). We originally booked a VB cabin thinking this would be our only trip this year. Well, my DH surprised me with a Caribbean cruise (just the two of us for my Bday!!!). Now that trip is A LOT more expensive than our ususal Mexico trip. So, I decided to downgrade to an inside. (we have sailed with a balcony with the kids and it did not make a huge difference to us). We are saving so much that our deposit pretty much covers Mexico and now all we need to do is cover the Caribbean cost.

I have a couple of questions-

1. Has anyone ever sailed in the J1015 cabin area? Noise issue?

2. What are your expierences in an inside on Hal?

I am still really excitred about our trip and looking for feedback!

Thanks

We liked the HAL inside cabins. They are larger than what we had on Princess. We have booked an inside for the Zuiderdam in December. We haven't been on the Zuiderdam but hope its inside rooms are as nice as the Zaandam inside rooms.

If you got J1015, you got a great inside cabin: they're huge! The deckplans are accurate in this respect. You may not have a balcony, but you've gained a ton of space & saved quite a bit of $$ in the process.

I had a Cat M inside cabin on the Oosterdam once (cabin 4154), and I found it suited me just fine: you have flat-screen TV's, a DVD player, and the same nice bed & good toiletries as in the more expensive cabins. I love my balcony cabins, but if I could save a lot of money, HAL's insides are a great deal.

We are sailing on the Oosterdam to Mexico in October and have done this itererary 2 times in the past with the kids (not on Hal). We originally booked a VB cabin thinking this would be our only trip this year. Well, my DH surprised me with a Caribbean cruise (just the two of us for my Bday!!!). Now that trip is A LOT more expensive than our ususal Mexico trip. So, I decided to downgrade to an inside. (we have sailed with a balcony with the kids and it did not make a huge difference to us). We are saving so much that our deposit pretty much covers Mexico and now all we need to do is cover the Caribbean cost.

I have a couple of questions-

1. Has anyone ever sailed in the J1015 cabin area? Noise issue?

2. What are your expierences in an inside on Hal?

I am still really excitred about our trip and looking for feedback!

Thanks

See my review regarding J 1060 (first post is all about the room)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=789268

J1015 is going to be under a small bit of the Piano Bar, but this is usually one of the quieter public rooms, and I doubt you'll notice much noise from this, especially if you don't go to be super early.

Location looks great! I'd book it! I LOVED our room!

I've only ever cruised once in my life. My friend and I joined some other friends on an 11 day cruise to the Caribbean on Maasdam (Nov 2006) out of Norfolk. Neither of us had cruised before, although she and I both love to travel. We got the inside cabin (L668) because we could afford it :)

We did worry some about claustrophobia, but I have to tell you, I didn't experience it. AT. ALL. Nor did my friend and she was seasick our first at sea day when we hit a bit of rough seas off Cape Hattaras.

We didn't spend an inordinate amount of time in our cabin--most of the time, we were out and about, but as two single women with the cabin set up as two singles, we still had plenty of room. The bathroom shower was a bit pinched, but not horrifically. I've gone RVing with friends and THAT shower was a good bit smaller than on the Maasdam.

All in all, while someday I'd like an outside cabin? I would not worry too much about an inside one. Certainly not on HAL.

(I hope you have a great cruise! We really enjoyed ours on Maasdam)

HAL inside cabins are surprisingly roomy. One word of advice to get the most advantage of the space have your beds separated. It makes a world of difference in the amount of usuable space inside.

Our first cruise (aeons ago) was on the Volendam ... we had the cheapest possible cabin, an inside of course. We rationalized it by figuring that we had exactly the same food, entertainment, and sightseeing possibilities as the passengers who had paid big bucks for cabins with windows! :D

I'd still do it in a heartbeat if it meant cruising versus not cruising, or if I wanted to spend the money somewhere else. The room was fine and I slept like a baby, since it was dark as dark could be.

The insides on the Vista ships are significantly smaller than a comparable category on the S- and R-class ships.

However, you have one of the quad cabins, and so this is larger. I have stayed in such a cabin on the Noordam, and have another booked on the E-dam. They are fine for two people. The bathroom is a nice size, with a good-size shower. The couch is comfortable for two sitting down.

You are under a public area, so there's a possibility of some noise until midnight, or so. But it's a quick walk "home" from the nightspots! :)

Two cruises instead of one? Ya done good! :D

Having some financial difficulties lately so I took this thread's title as an omen. Called my TA to downgrade, (im in a cat H, Eurodam 12/6) and he tells me the lowest cat. inside is now $20 more than what i booked an outside for!:eek:

So much for economizing!;)

We liked the HAL inside cabins. They are larger than what we had on Princess. We have booked an inside for the Zuiderdam in December. We haven't been on the Zuiderdam but hope its inside rooms are as nice as the Zaandam inside rooms.

Some of the inside cabins on the Zuiderdam are very small...We had a J on the Rotterdam recently and it was very small...We have read that some of the J's on the main deck are larger...If you check the deck plans you will see HAL lists the I's as large and the J"s and K's as large or standard.

Another great option on HAL ships is to book a fully obstructed

outside view. The price is discounted to slightly more than

an inside because of the obstructed view, but since it is an

outside cabin, it has the identical layout -- more square

feet than an inside, and most importantly, an spacious

bathroom with tub!

Enjoy your trip.

My dad had an inside on HAL and it was a great cabin. My son & his friend had an inside when we sailed Princess, and even though the cabins are smaller on Princess, it worked great for them when they wanted to sleep late or nap during the day.

My husband & I enjoy the verandah a lot - but if I had the time to cruise more often or if I was cruising with my sons rather than my husband, I would do an inside or obstructed view to save money for other things.

I think we're going to see this being an upcoming trend as those of us who are addicted to cruising still need to get our "fix" with prices going up all the time.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks for all the information, folks! We are pretty happy with the decision and feel great about the room now.

Good decision. Now all you need is one or two battery powered nightlights and you're good to go.

StickNclicks are convenient. I picked up a three pack at Bed Bath. The batteries, AAAs, are extra.

I like them for their portability. Just leave the sticky pad cover on.

This is what they look like.

http://www.bestofasseenontv.com/sticknclink/sticknclick1.html?gclid=CN3sr46J_pMCFQkmIgod11JwWg

We have sailed inside cabins on our last 4 cruises, 2 HAL and 2 Celebrity.

We prefer the inside cabins because we stay up late and sleep late.

The HAL cabins were larger but all the rooms were fine. We choose rooms that are midship, with cabins above and below and as high a deck as we can get within these criteria.

The cabin has almost no impact on our vacation. We sleep, clean up, change clothes and otherwise spend no other time in the cabin. View is better from the lounges or the upper outside decks, and we enjoy meeting other passengers.

We have a deck at the house. Being from Texas we get all the sun we need, in fact too much.

For us, paying extra $$$ to have a window or deck would be a waste.

Archived