Luggage Express - Our Experience (not a good one)

Stevie17

We just returned on Sunday from our second sailing on board the Valor. Overall, we had a really great trip. The ship is beautiful, and the staff is very friendly.

However, we had a pretty serious mix up with the express luggage service that was offered, and I just wanted to "put it out there" if people are considering using it.

We certainly loved the idea of letting Carnival take our checked luggage for us the night before debarkation and deliver it straight to the airport. Our return flight didn't depart until 6:45 pm, and the thought of lugging our suitcases around Miami for hours upon end wasn't appealing. So...we paid our $15 per person fee, received our boarding passes and luggage tags the night before debarkation and experienced a stress-free and quick debarkation. However, one of our suitcases never made it home. For three days we have been working with our air carrier to try to find our luggage. Today, we received a call telling us that Carnival never checked our luggage with the carrier. As of this morning, it was still sitting at the Port of Miami in the care of a Carnival representative who just happened to locate it. :confused:

I'm very happy that the luggage was located and that I will be receiving it soon (I hope by tomorrow), but I have to wonder if this happens often? Who knows......

So, for those of you who might be considering using Express Luggage, you may want to think again. I certainly won't trust the process a second time.

Someone is forever losing luggage in transit one way or another.

If you want to ensure a piece of luggage isn't lost don't travel anywhere.

Just be thankful it happened on the way back. Better to have laundry delayed then have no clothes for the cruise.

This person is reporting his experience with luggage express. Many people have posted asking for good and bad experiences, and this is one of the few bad experiences posted. And the luggage will be returned safely.

So it is good to know that Carnival did its part in locating the lost luggage and returning it rather than just blaming the airline.

Seems to be it's a good value (pity I can't use it).

I wouldn't hesitate for an instant to use it.

Now if the OP reports back that he has to pay the shipping charge for the lost piece, that is a different kettle of fish completely.

Now if the OP reports back that he has to pay the shipping charge for the lost piece, that is a different kettle of fish completely.

We've received no indication that we will be charged for shipping. I would, however, like to be reimbursed my $15. But....I'm not going to make a big deal out of $15.

I just wanted to post this as I had read posts about people wanting to know how Express Luggage worked out for them. In our case, not so well, but I'm guessing that our experience is not the norm. At least I certainly hope it isn't.

I'm glad to hear your luggage was found and you will be getting it back. We were going to use that program last week on the Legend but we didn't know you had to have the paperwork in to the purser's desk by 8pm on the last night of the cruise. We brought it down right after dinner (late seating) and it was too late, so we ended up doing self assist debarkation.

I don't think Southwest was an option on the Glory last month. I wouldn't have done it anyway. We were renting a car for the day, as that was cheaper than the cruise transportation from PC to Orlando, and we weren't flying until 7:45 pm.

I was under the impression that you could not check bags more than a few hours earlier than your flight. Maybe the problem was due to your bags arriving so early and them not being able to check them. Of course, that doesn't explain why only one didn't make it, but it could have been a factor.

Thanks for reporting back on your express luggage experience. We used it in San Juan and I was a little worried about it but it made our connection and we made it home with nothing missing. I liked getting the boarding passes and going straight to security and not standing in the long check in lines.

Well, our luggage FINALLY made it back to our house, one week and one day after debarkation. However, we were CHARGED a C.O.D. fee of $22.80 at the time of delivery. Yep, we were charged for Carnival's mistake. And to top it all off, our luggage was damaged. A wheel had been completely ripped off of the bag and there was a huge tear in the side.

We've spoken with Carnival about this and have written a letter to their customer relations department. I certainly hope that Carnival refunds the cost of the Luggage Express program as well as the cost of shipping the bag to us (a whopping total of $37.80.) I am not asking for any more than that, but if they don't refund this to us, it will represent a total lack of customer care, in my opinion.

We have been told by Carnival that we have to take up the broken luggage issue with DHL as they were the "shipper" of the luggage. Sigh.

I'll be sure to post how....if....this ends up being resolved for anyone who is the slightest bit interested.

Well I certainly think you should be refunded the COD charge because you have already paid (through luggage express) to get your bag home.

Without knowing the condition of the bag when it left the pier it would be impossible to say who is responsible for replacing the damaged bag.

Luggage Express doesn't guarantee delivery (no one involved with airlines and luggage would ;)) so I don't think you are entitled to the Luggage Express fee.

Well I certainly think you should be refunded the COD charge because you have already paid (through luggage express) to get your bag home.

Without knowing the condition of the bag when it left the pier it would be impossible to say who is responsible for replacing the damaged bag.

Luggage Express doesn't guarantee delivery (no one involved with airlines and luggage would ;)) so I don't think you are entitled to the Luggage Express fee.

I disagree. I paid for a service that I didn't receive...a service that failed completely. I think that I should be refunded the $15 fee that I was charged in addition to being refunded the ridiculous C.O.D. charges. We'll see what Carnival does. I have no problem taking my cruise business elsewhere. As you can see by how many cruises I've taken, I'm not wed to this line by any means. This isn't about the amount of money.....clearly it's a small amount. This is about doing what's right. They need to do the right thing. Period, end of story.

I disagree. I paid for a service that I didn't receive...a service that failed completely. I think that I should be refunded the $15 fee that I was charged in addition to being refunded the ridiculous C.O.D. charges. We'll see what Carnival does. I have no problem taking my cruise business elsewhere. As you can see by how many cruises I've taken, I'm not wed to this line by any means. This isn't about the amount of money.....clearly it's a small amount. This is about doing what's right. They need to do the right thing. Period, end of story.

Couldn't agree with you more. But the Carnival Pom-Pom squad will soon be here to dispute you.;)

Dr. Jack

Stevie

How many suitcases did you have? Did some make it home with you?

We paid $15 pp for up to two pieces. Our experience was great and I

would certainly do it again. HOwever, I agree with your wanting to

be reimbursed for COD charges and if you checked two pcs of luggage

you should be refunded for one of them, 7.50.

Glad you posted your experience and let us know how you make out.

I wasn't aware you only had 1 suitcase.

Remember the Morans. :rolleyes:

From what I understand he had 4 bags, 3 made it back 1 did not so for that bag the service failed completely. I love Carnival also, but fair is fair. I totally understand where this person is coming from and I think that proper customer service would warrant a refund of all charges pertaining to this bag and maybe a 45 day letter for his next cruise. Just to show that they go above and beyond to satisfy. At least that is what we would do where I work if we messed up real bad...

What ever happen to "the customer is always right." We went to a restaurant and had a bad experience (took over 1 1/2 hours to get our meal and when it came it was wrong and inedible). They made it right and our meal was free...it was a lot more than fifteen measly dollars. Have we been back to that restaurant? Yep and the service was much better. Would we have gone back if they didn't right the wrong? Nope.

Carnival needs to refund all of the money because it is good business and it is the right thing to do...

What ever happen to "the customer is always right." We went to a restaurant and had a bad experience (took over 1 1/2 hours to get our meal and when it came it was wrong and inedible). They made it right and our meal was free...it was a lot more than fifteen measly dollars. Have we been back to that restaurant? Yep and the service was much better. Would we have gone back if they didn't right the wrong? Nope.

Carnival needs to refund all of the money because it is good business and it is the right thing to do...

What happened to "the customer is always right?" I would be willing to bet that plenty of customers who were absolutlely NOT right abused the system, so businesses had to dispense with that ridiculous notion in order to stay in business.

In the OP's case, I absolutely agree that he should be reimbursed all charges related to this piece of luggage. A little extra compensation for his inconvenience would also be very nice.

I feel he should be refunded the COD charge. Carnival did eventually get the bag to him, that is what he paid for and he shouldn't have to pay more. It should also be Carnival that reimburses as it was left in the terminal, not lost by an airline or DHL.

From what I understand he had 4 bags, 3 made it back 1 did not so for that bag the service failed completely. I love Carnival also, but fair is fair. I totally understand where this person is coming from and I think that proper customer service would warrant a refund of all charges pertaining to this bag and maybe a 45 day letter for his next cruise. Just to show that they go above and beyond to satisfy. At least that is what we would do where I work if we messed up real bad...

We had two suitcases...we paid a TOTAL of $30 for Luggage Express. $15 per person (so essentially, $15 per bag.) One suitcase made it back and the other one was never delivered to our air carrier. I feel that I should be refunded $15 as well as the C.O.D. charges of $22.80. Again, and please let me stress this, it's NOT about the money. $37.80 is not going to make or break me, but I would like to see Carnival to do the right thing. At this point, it's about customer service...or lack thereof.

So, that's that. I've sent a letter to Carnival, and I don't intend to pursue it any further.

For all interested, parties, I'll be happy to report back what the eventual outcome of this ends up being.

Changed my mind. Think you should get the $15 back as well as you paid for a specific service that you did not receive. You paid to have your bag sent to the airport to make your flight, not have it packaged up and sent by DHL at a later date.

We have been told by Carnival that we have to take up the broken luggage issue with DHL as they were the "shipper" of the luggage. Sigh.

No, DHL was not the "shipper"....DHL was the "carrier." The "shipper" is whoever contracted with DHL to transport it to you.

And I think the "shipper" is the only one that can

"take it up" with DHL.

Do not let Carnival off the hook on this.

I'm pretty loyal to Carnival, but it is staffed by human beings, and your service will only be as good as the individual that is serving you. If they aren't doing their job, Carnival needs to know about it.

No, DHL was not the "shipper"....DHL was the "carrier." The "shipper" is whoever contracted with DHL to transport it to you.

And I think the "shipper" is the only one that can

"take it up" with DHL.

Do not let Carnival off the hook on this.

I'm pretty loyal to Carnival, but it is staffed by human beings, and your service will only be as good as the individual that is serving you. If they aren't doing their job, Carnival needs to know about it.

Carnival has completely washed their hands of the "broken luggage" piece of this equation. They said that if it was damaged "during" shipping (and who knows?????), it is a DHL matter. There is no way for us to know how, when or where it was damaged or under what circumstances. So per Carnival's instructions, we've filed a claim with DHL for the damaged luggage. I'm not holding my breath on this one. DHL's claims process is laborious, and the documentation that they are requiring is extensive. We've done our best...we'll have to see what comes of it.

I have both e-mailed Carnival's guest relations people as well as sent a hard-copy letter to the corporate offices. Beyond that, I don't know what else there is to do. If I don't receive a response (meaning that if I'm ignored completely), I will cancel my upcoming cruise with them. As I mentioned earlier, I like Carnival, I really do. But they're not the only game in town...not by a long shot. I'll just take my business elsewhere.

Carnival has completely washed their hands of the "broken luggage" piece of this equation. They said that if it was damaged "during" shipping (and who knows?????), it is a DHL matter. There is no way for us to know how, when or where it was damaged or under what circumstances. So per Carnival's instructions, we've filed a claim with DHL for the damaged luggage. I'm not holding my breath on this one. DHL's claims process is laborious, and the documentation that they are requiring is extensive. We've done our best...we'll have to see what comes of it.

I have both e-mailed Carnival's guest relations people as well as sent a hard-copy letter to the corporate offices. Beyond that, I don't know what else there is to do. If I don't receive a response (meaning that if I'm ignored completely), I will cancel my upcoming cruise with them. As I mentioned earlier, I like Carnival, I really do. But they're not the only game in town...not by a long shot. I'll just take my business elsewhere.

But...you ARE being allowed to make a claim with DHL, even though you are not, technically the "shipper" (you are the "receiver")?

Claims with DHL, UPS, whatever carrier, ARE laborious. It's up to you whether it's worth your time.

I'm just stubborn enough I'd make them miserable until they resolved the claim! ;)

If you are ignored by Carnival's customer service, I would send a message to John Heald, Carnival's head Cruise Director. Yes, I know this is not his area, but he is very knowledgeable and has extensive contacts, and if nothing else, should know when Carnival has lost a customer due to poor customer service. (You can contact him by posting on his blog, with the words "Stephanie, please have John reply - Urgent!" at the beginning of your post)

Archived