Port or Starboard for Panama Canal cruise

KMR

I am planning on taking a Panama Canal cruise departing from Florida and ending in Cal. I would like to get a cabin on the side of the ship, where when docked, you will be able to see as many ports as possible. Also, since it will be pretty hot, which side would get the most afternoon sun or shade. This 14 day cruise is a big deal to me and I would like get the best cabin location. I have learned so much from this board and everyone is so helpful that I know you will be able to help me. Thank you.

We did this on the Infinity a couple of months ago. We were on the port side of the ship and it seems to me that is the side that the ship was most docked on. We also seemed to get mostly the morning sun and then in the afternoon we had shade. We enjoyed this cruise very much. Going thru the Canal was amazing. Hope you have a great cruise.

We did this on the Infinity a couple of months ago. We were on the port side of the ship and it seems to me that is the side that the ship was most docked on. We also seemed to get mostly the morning sun and then in the afternoon we had shade. We enjoyed this cruise very much. Going thru the Canal was amazing. Hope you have a great cruise.

I agree completely - the port side is best for this cruise. We did the Panama Canal transit with Princess and the people that we spoke with who had cabins on the starboard side were disappointed.

We also will be on the 14 day cruise from Ft lauderdale to San Diego. We had a port cabin going from Cal to Ft Lauerdale and were pleased with the view. This time we have the same view since we have starboard side . Not good thinking on my part - but a great cabin. The views of the lake and the towers are great. We spoke to the tower operators as we went through the last time. We may get to do that again. The entire experience is awesome no matter what view you have.

Thank you so much for your quick replies. The cabin location is so important to me that, if you don't mind, I would like to get the side of the ship straight in my mind. If you are on the ship, facing the front, point, of the ship, the port side is on the left and the starboard is on the right. So standing in the middle of the ship, facing forward, you would pick a cabin on the left side of the ship. Looking at the cruise map, it would look like the left side of the ship would be facing the water the entire way from the Panama Canal up the Mexican coast and into Cal. So after all of this, will the left side of the ship see the water, or the land, from Mexico to Cal? Just trying to get it straight before I book my cabin. Thank you for all your help.

There is no way to know which side of the ship the dock will be. However, you are correct, looking forward (no matter where you are on the ship), the port side is on your left. The port side will face the ocean during your trip up the Mexican coast (and face the sunsets as well). I hope this helps. As an aside, I have an aft balcony booked for my trip through the canal and have heard excellent things about aft balconies, especially for passage through the canal.

If you are going from Florida to California, when you go through the Canal,

Panama City will be on the port (left) side of the ship. This is a really grand and unexpected sight. Enjoy!

There is no way to know which side of the ship the dock will be. However, you are correct, looking forward (no matter where you are on the ship), the port side is on your left. The port side will face the ocean during your trip up the Mexican coast (and face the sunsets as well). I hope this helps. As an aside, I have an aft balcony booked for my trip through the canal and have heard excellent things about aft balconies, especially for passage through the canal.

We had a stern cabin (aft facing cabin) on our 2006 Panama Canal cruise and it was nice for the many sea days to sit out on balcony and have a little less wind. When actually sailing the the canal and going through the locks, up top is a better view to get the full prespective as you approach the locks/etc.

You will actually, I think, want to enjoy the actual transit from a number of views during the course of the whole day if you are doing a full transit.

On our Dec Panama Canal westbound trip we had about half & half as to docking...(actually think more ports were on starboard side), yes Panama City was on the port side, but as to which side is best for transit...that depended on which side of the locks they guided you to when you reached them, and what you wished to see...the land, or the process of passing thru. Actually the BEST place is upper deck not balcony, (as your view is limited,) especially your passage thru the Gatun 3 lock system., After that your balcony is fine. Of course we were on the Quest and it only has 9 decks and top deck wasn't so high up and we could really watch everything closely. It was a greatly interesting process, could get better idea watching the next door lock pass thru it's ship.:)

Archived