Advice on 2nd cruise, please.

birder22

Dear all,

My family had a great experience on the Westerdam two weeks ago and now I am considering a Mexican Riviera cruise. Because of work and and school schedules there are only two weeks that we could possibly go, March 8 (best time) or Dec 13.

We enjoyed the Westerdam so much that we'd go on the Oosterdam in a heartbeat. But the Oosterdam will have left the Mexican Riviera by March and the schedule for the Ryndam conflicts with school.

Our options in March are the Sapphire Princess, Carnival Pride and RCI Marinar of the Seas. I don't want to deal with negotiating where to eat with my family each night so the NCL Star is out.

What I liked best on our recent trip was Alaska (of course) and what did not happen. That may seem odd but I liked not having any hassles. We had no wait to board or disembark, dinner was easy- we just showed up at the right time, we did not have to wait long to get breakfast or lunch, lots of quiet places to read and watch the sea and few announcements. There was sufficient variety of food items to meet everyone's preferences so I had no complaints from my family. Our waitstaff was attentive and our room was cleaned while we were at meals. We enjoyed the friendly service we received.

We are not into partying and my husband is definately an early to bed, early to rise person. We enjoyed laps around the promenade deck, the afternoon tea, movies, some of the shows and live music. We also liked spending time as a family in the pool, playing basketball or ping pong as well as just enjoying being at sea.

Our group will be myself, my husband and our 13 yr old son. My son had a great time on the Westerdam and wants to go again. Club Hal was shortstaffed and his age group did not meet for most of the cruise. So he can be happy entertaining himself and spending time with his family, if there are few teens onboard. But I am sure he would enjoy spending time with new friends if he met compatible teens.

I'd appreciate opinions about our options in March: Carnival Pride, RCI Marinar of the Sea and Sapphire Princess, or if we should just go on the Oosterdam in December. The three options in March are about the same price and have similar itineraries. The Dec cruise would be less expensive (more funds for shore excursions?).

We have only been on one cruise and don't really know if the mass market lines are more similar than they are different or if our experience will be dramatically different on another line or on a warm versus cold weather cruise.

Thanks in advance,

Birder22

I would just go with what you know you like and book the Oosterdam in Dec. I am certain that any school assignments could be brought along. I know last cruise some of the children onboard were given assignments to write about the visited ports and countries. Perhaps his teacher would be willing to do something like that.

I agree that HAL is a great experience and DH and I totally enjoyed our Oosterdam Mexican Riviera cruise, but we have also had great experiences on Princess. If the timing works better with Princess, I would not hesitate to book that.

The oosterdam is beautiful. The staff are great and it feels "right".... Besides, if you do the December one, and that week is still free in March, you may be able to convince yourselves to go again then. Perfect. :D :D :D

The Oosterdam is a beautiful ship. We are sailing her for the second time in October. I am sorry that the O is leaving and it looks like the Ryndam is doing trips of varying lengths to keep HAL's presence on the MR.

If you can do the trip in December on the HAL, I would do it.

We sailed Princess on our last trip and although it was a "good" cruise, it wasn't a "great cruise" that we have on HAL. Even my son who was 16 y/o at the time thought that HAL was better - and Princess has the rumored "better teenage program".

I've sailed on the Carnival Pride and the Mariner of the Seas. I would choose Sapphire Princess. We returned home from our first Princess cruise in April. Before that cruise I could be considered a "HAL Lover". HAL is still tops for me, but Princess is right there also. Btw, I have sailed on the Oosterdam two times, and it is a fabulous ship. My vote is for the Oosterdam or the Sapphire Princess. If I were YOU, I would probably choose Princess since you have already experienced the HAL product, but jmo.

Marie

Birder22,

My husbnad and I, along with another couple and their 14 year old son will be on the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera 12/13/08. I'm pretty sure that my friend's son will be looking for others his age to spend time with and I know that he will be bringing along some school work as well.

It looks like if you go with HAL on 12/13, you already have a CC group forming!

I also agree with above mentions, that while I really like HAL, I had

a good Princess experience, and would book them. In fact, I have,

- see signature below.

Have a great time, and Welcome to

the Fabulous world of cruising!

I'd also like to cast my vote for the Oosterdam...still relatively new to cruising, our first 2 cruises were with HAL (2nd one was the Mex Riv on Oosterdam in Dec 2006 and we loved it!), our last cruise was with Princess last year in December. While overall the Princess was a good cruise, we are returning to HAL for our cruise this December. In our humble opinion, the service and staff on HAL ships seems to have spoiled us. There's just something a little extra special about the HAL staff. :)

Happy cruising.....

March 2007 DH and I had a wonderful experience on Diamond Princess to Mex Riv. I like the forward adult pool. It is secluded and hard to find so it is not crowded.

We also enjoyed our Nov. E. Carib. on Zuiderdam. DH especially liked the few and tasteful announcements on HAL. Each time we had OV rooms and DH likes the Princess room arrangement better. There is a small dressing area between the bathroom and closet that does not block the doorway. We both like HAL beds better.

What type of room will you be in? Will your son share the room with you?

We have sailed both the Sapphire Princess and the Oosterdam on that itinerary .. and they were both lovely!! I would not hesitate to do the Sapphire (in fact we have also sailed the Sapphire in Asia and currently have a cruise booked on her for a repositioning in May)

Archived