Sunblock/sunscreen question

Second the reminder about the hat - just bring a fabric (not the plastic-y kind) of ball cap to hide your scalp and shade your face - you can also dip your head/hat in the water and that helps cool you off. BE SURE to sunblock your ears!!!! I just had a mole removed from the top of my ear and the dermatologist said I had lots of sun damage on them - I'm good about sunscreen in general but just not my ears!

Friends,

I just wanted to chime-in with my favorite - Neutrogena Ultrasheer Sunblock SPF 70. It goes on "dry" and is waterproof. Our family is all fair and my husband has had some issues with his skin. We use this for both of our children and they are still fair after spending time in the sun. We reapply often, but it is not greasy - so they don't complain. Several parents have called us to ask what we are using. It is a bit more expensive - a buck or two, but well worth it - in our opinion. I REALLY like that it is not greasy!! Just my two cents. Happy traveling to all!! :D

Wow! Love that ruched guard at athleta! Running to get credit card. I take my kids to swim team every day and usually spend two hours hanging out at the pool, plus we're spending ten days at our favorite lake over July 4th. So now I'll be set with a REALLY CUTE new rashguard. Thanks!

Robin

I like that ruched rashguard, too. It's best point is that it definitely does NOT look like a rashguard. But, I already have 2 long sleeved rashguards, 1 short sleeved one, and a thin neoprene shirt. I bought one of the black bikini tops from Athleta to wear under the rashguards. I'll either wear one of my Athleta bikini bottoms (I have 3 tankinis from them) or my boy bottoms.

The thing I like about my AloeGator is that it really doesn't have to be reapplied often. If I'm out with the girls for hours, I only have to reapply once. I'm a burner, and I haven't had a burn since I started using it. My friends are always afraid to try it because they want some tan and think the AloeGator won't let them tan. But, when they see me at the end of the weekend, well, I'm not Bahama Bronze, but I'm not Winter White, either.

I was very interested in this thread because I seem to react negatively to most sunscreen. I googled some of the recommendations and read some reviews. I was suprised to see some of the recommmended brands had poor reviews. This site might prove helpful http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens/summary.php

if you're planning to try out a new sunscreen, be sure you do so at home before your trip.

Everyone reacts differently to sunscreens. I love neutrogena products and have used them nearly my entire life. Their sunscreens however, irritate my skin. : (

as others have said, and as your own previous experience shows, it's all in the application. Apply liberally, and reapply often. If you miss a spot then you'll burn.

FWIW, another Bullfrog person.

Well, I got my new rashguard, and I LOVE IT. My other ones tend to 'strangle' me with their high necks. This one with the zipper is perfect. Plus it has long sleeves, and my other two are short sleeved. All in all, a very nice purchase I would never have found on my own. Thanks, y'all. Ten days at the lake, here I come!

Robin

It's here if you're interested. I got it in white.

http://www.athleta.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=4477&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=567&iSubCat=593&iProductID=4477

I just wanted to chime in since there are many misconceptions on Sunblock and Sunscreen. Sunblock (Zinc Oxide is an example) prevents the UV rays from reaching the skin (bounces off the block) and sunscreen absorbs the rays instead of your skin absorbing them. Most products only cover UVB rays, so make sure they say UVA/UVB...the SPF # ONLY regards the UVB rays; they haven't figured out a way to measure UVA protection but it is equally important to have protection.

There is also a misconception about SPF 15 vs. SPF 70...SPF 70 is not 4x as protective...SPF 15 covers about 92% of rays and SPF 70 would protect more (I think it's around 98% but can't remember specifically)...it's actually quite a complicated formula and not a linear equation.

The way to determine how long a sunscreen should protect you from burning is multiplying the SPF times the number of minutes it would take for you to burn with out any, so if you get an SPF 15 and you burn in 10 mins without sunscreen, you should be protected for 150 min (now remember, this is just an estimate and doesn't take into consideration the quality of application of the sunscreen nor sweating/getting wet)

I hope this helps! :D :D :D

We live in Southern California, and spend some time at the beach. DD is a fair skinned, blue eyed blonde who boogie boards. The rash guard is a good way to go. And we love Banana Boat SPF50 Sport sun block. The lotion, not the spray. Apply about 30 mins in advance, reapply frequently. Be prepared to wash it off with soap. We can usually find it at Target, Walgreens or Walmart. Be sure you get the sport version.

If you do burn, Bert's Bee's ResQ (round green tin) can be a lifesaver. DD's rash guard hitched up, and she burnt a stripe on her back....that stuff was great. I have no idea why she didn't have her wetsuit on....

Well, I got my new rashguard, and I LOVE IT. My other ones tend to 'strangle' me with their high necks. This one with the zipper is perfect. Plus it has long sleeves, and my other two are short sleeved. All in all, a very nice purchase I would never have found on my own. Thanks, y'all. Ten days at the lake, here I come!

Robin

It's here if you're interested. I got it in white.

http://www.athleta.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=4477&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=567&iSubCat=593&iProductID=4477

So if you cover up with just a regular light longsleeve shirt, that will not protect you from the sun? I hate to ask a seemingly dumb question but I'm rarely outside long enough. I have seen sunblock as high as 80. Talk about coming a long way. I remember when 30 was the ish. Now it's 80 and higher.

Robin

I'm glad that you are happy with that rashguard. I'm an Athleta junkie. I may have to buy one - it would be good to put on when I'm driving around in my convertible :-)

So if you cover up with just a regular light longsleeve shirt, that will not protect you from the sun? I hate to ask a seemingly dumb question but I'm rarely outside long enough.

I would assume it would offer you protection as long as you don't get it wet, but I'm not 100% sure. I burned badly while wearing a wet t-shirt as a coverup when I was a teen. (Oh, the pain of growing up in Los Angeles with 'mayo' legs!)

I like to get wet and let the rashguard dry out as I sit under my umbrella wearing my hat. (No kidding. I do not want cancer, and I'm a prime candidate.) Otherwise I get too hot. A rashguard still offers sun protection even while wet. That's why I go with that choice.

Robin

Others choose different measures to keep from getting burned. Here's how my newlywed son and his bride protected themselves Labor Day weekend last year at the lake. :eek:

2875207090095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

I would assume it would offer you protection as long as you don't get it wet, but I'm not 100% sure. I burned badly while wearing a wet t-shirt as a coverup when I was a teen. (Oh, the pain of growing up in Los Angeles with 'mayo' legs!)

I like to get wet and let the rashguard dry out as I sit under my umbrella wearing my hat. (No kidding. I do not want cancer, and I'm a prime candidate.) Otherwise I get too hot. A rashguard still offers sun protection even while wet. That's why I go with that choice.

Robin

Others choose different measures to keep from getting burned. Here's how my newlywed son and his bride protected themselves Labor Day weekend last year at the lake. :eek:

2875207090095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

Haha, that picture is great. I hope your DIL didn't get burned on her arm, because it's the only part sticking out!

So if you cover up with just a regular light longsleeve shirt, that will not protect you from the sun?

I posted earlier in this thread that a basic white cotton t-shirt has an spf of about 3. I double checked my number and it's actually 7, but 4 when wet.

There is now a large market for specially treated & constructed fabric that has higher spfs. Those will be specially marked with their spf (eg. on a tag ) There are LOTS of companies that make this type of product and a quick Google will offer lots of shopping opportunities:D

There is now a large market for specially treated & constructed fabric that has higher spfs. Those will be specially marked with their spf (eg. on a tag ) There are LOTS of companies that make this type of product and a quick Google will offer lots of shopping opportunities:D

It's probably been mentioned upthread and I didn't check......but there is a product on the market that you put into your wash that treats your clothing and you get clothes that are sunproof! It doesn't last forever, but IIRC it lasts for several washes. It may be called SunGuard?

Archived