Chef's Table Dinner?

cruzmaven

In reading Inthewaside's review of his recent Westerdam Alaska cruise he mentions a "Chef's Table dinner ...where Chef Andreas and the Cellar Master ... fix an amazing 5 course dinner right in front of you."

I know Princess has been offering a Chef Table dinner on the Emerald Princess, though it wasn't offered on my sailing but I hadn't heard of this being offered on HAL.

Has anyone experienced this on HAL? Is is offered every sailing? I believe Inthewaside said the charge was $89/pp.

I tried searching for posts on this but I couldn't get the search function to work properly.

It was offered on both our 19 day and 7 day Alaskan cruises on the Westerdam. Then it was $79 per person.

On the first cruise we didn't have a cellar master so just the chef did everything - heard about it.

On the second cruise both the chef and cellar master performed.

I was told that it was a long evening in the Queen's Lounge where they set up several tables of four.

It did not sell out on either cruise. In fact on both cruises they were still making announcements about 2 hours before the event that there was still time to sign up for the special dinner.

We participated in same on the Ryndam this past April while doing the Mexican Sea of Cortez. The event was held in the Pinnacle, at a cost of $79 per person. The dinner had featured wines with each course and lasted for about 3 hours. It was a very enjoyable evening with both the Chef and the Cellar Master keeping us informed throughout the evening. This was a first for ourselves and look forward to future dinners of this type, as the wife and I have a habit of "rushing" through meals when we are by ourselves, so this dinner extends the evening and is very relaxing.

• 5 months later...

this summer with our sons & DIL for our shared anniversary. It was fabulous. $75 PP and worth every penny.....and we aren't into alternative dining venues. So that says a lot!

Here is a link to the photos from that night to give you an idea of what you might expect. Princess had a special table in the middle of the Anytime Dining Room.

http://www.pbase.com/dchip/chefs_table

Cheers, Denise

JMO -- by moving it to the Pinnacle means that the Pinnacle would be shut down one night for this event -- I don't the sounds of that.

It could be that the demo is in the Queen's Lounge and that the actual eating part is in the Pinnacle.

Maybe someone can help us with the answer to this question also?

Note: There is also a Chef's Table excursion in Alaska. There is plenty of information to be found on the excursion. I wanted to make sure that the right question was being asked when I stated, 'Pinnacle'. I could be that the Pinnacle was just mentioned in the ad and has nothing to do with the actual dinner. :eek:

On both our 19 day and 7 day Alaskan cruise on the Westerdam -- everything was done in the Queen's Lounge.

They had tables for 4 set up with the white table clothes -- the chairs were also covered. We walked by the first time -- the curtains were open -- everyone could see what was going on. As I said in my report when we got home -- not many people were there.

After the chef prepared one course, it was served, people ate -- a wine was served and explained as well. Then the chef moved onto the next course.

this summer with our sons & DIL for our shared anniversary. It was fabulous. $75 PP and worth every penny.....and we aren't into alternative dining venues. So that says a lot!

Here is a link to the photos from that night to give you an idea of what you might expect. Princess had a special table in the middle of the Anytime Dining Room.

http://www.pbase.com/dchip/chefs_table

Cheers, Denise

Saw your pictures -- great!!

But I couldn't tell -- was the entree the only one made and served right at the table?? I got that impression as well from reading the menu.

Saw your pictures -- great!!

But I couldn't tell -- was the entree the only one made and served right at the table?? I got that impression as well from reading the menu.

Yes, the entree was the only one made right at the table. The food was amazing although veal shank would not have been my pick had I had a choice. We had a lot of time with the Chef which was lovely.

Each couple received a Princess Cookbook and a 5x7 photo with the Chef. All the women were presented with a long stem rose.

The wines alone were the price of the dinner. They were also very free flowing. I really need to get into my galleries and write some dialog with the pics. Too many photos....not enough time :eek:

Thanks for taking a look.

Cheers, Denise

Yes, the entree was the only one made right at the table. The food was amazing although veal shank would not have been my pick had I had a choice. We had a lot of time with the Chef which was lovely.

Each couple received a Princess Cookbook and a 5x7 photo with the Chef. All the women were presented with a long stem rose.

The wines alone were the price of the dinner. They were also very free flowing. I really need to get into my galleries and write some dialog with the pics. Too many photos....not enough time :eek:

Cheers, Denise

Thanks -- I really enjoyed it.

Cheers, Denise

There does seem to be a lot of information on the Princess Chef's Table. I wonder if the experience is anything like the HAL Chef's Table. Has anyone tried both?

Interesting.

We did a 23 day cruise on the Ryndam November 2007 -- and we had the regular wine tasting dinner given by the cellar master -- limited to 50 people -- held in the Pinnacle -- sold out within a couple of hours. This dinner was not like the Chef's Dinner Table. It was called: Epicurean Traveler's Dinner. No meals were prepared before us.

Veendam - 21 days - March --first 7 day cruise - nothing. Second 14 days -- nothing either.

Archived