Reality of Dress Code

Who thinks there will be a change in how people dress on a cruise due to the luggage restrictions being placed on travelers by the airlines? My family of three each carries a bag and we used a garment bag for our formal night clothes maybe not next time maybe just seek alternate dinning on that night...

I think that most people will opt for a different kind of "dressy". They won't lug around elaborate gowns and half-dozen pairs of matching heels. They will learn the beauty of the "little black dress" or the dressy black slacks or skirt with a coupla dressy blouses. The guys will learn to rent a tux onboard if they really want to wear one. They will learn that a dark suit will suffice for formal night.

People will finally stop bringing half their wardrobe, several purses, bungee cords, power strips, over the door thingies and rolls of duct tape. They will learn to cope with 2 swimsuits instead of 3/4. They'll realize the freedom of using an over-large t-shirt as a swimwear coverup instead of lugging an elaborate pseudo-designer type. They will have to learn to pack smarter.....or pay for their indulgence....

We are sailing on Rhapsody next Friday to Alaska, and all we were told was that there were two formal's and the rest was just business casual, so my husband is only bringing one suit for the formal nights and dockers and either button up shirt or pull over golf like shirt. He does have one silk pull over sweater that he is wearing for the second formal night.

RCI requests......

And people twist it to their own rationalization.

Go to church on Sunday, "Rev Smith requests you turn off your cell phone"

How many of the same folks interpret that to mean shut them off!!!!

OK, now let's wait for the reply....

'Hey it is my darn chruch, I will make all the phones calls I want, and take all the calls I want, heck I will play vidoe games on my cell phone during services....I contribute every Sunday, so I will do what ever I want......"

I booked a cruise for my adult kids and their spouses and myself on NCL because of Freestyle dining. I sent an email that I wanted them to bring ties and long sleeve shirts for NCL's Formal Or Not Nights. One son said he'd only wear a tie if it had pictures of lobster on it. I found a web site that sold great novelty ties and bought 2 for the boys with lobsters and crabs on them........They'll be dressed and in ties. Beware what you ask for! LOL

I like NCL because of the laid back casual attire as all my kids wear suits to work every day and they hate to dress up on vacation.

RCI requests......

'Hey it is my darn chruch, I will make all the phones calls I want, and take all the calls I want, heck I will play vidoe games on my cell phone during services....I contribute every Sunday, so I will do what ever I want......"

Huh???? Wasn't the question something about what people actually wear.

To the OP, there are few cruises that still have "smart casual." Most people dress up for formal night, but not all are in tuxes and dark suits. In fact, sports jackets and ties are far more common than tuxes and maybe dark suits. It's rare you will see a "slob" on casual night. Yes you may see a few in jeans but shorts and dirty tees, no.

I think that most people will opt for a different kind of "dressy". They won't lug around elaborate gowns and half-dozen pairs of matching heels. >>>>snip fwd.>>>> They will have to learn to pack smarter.....or pay for their indulgence....

:cool: :rolleyes: :confused:

Have to learn....?? We absolutly love overpacking, yes some people actually do!! Mostly sailing out of NJ or NY, it is a 'luxury' to be able to overpack and not lift one piece of luggage (except from hallway to cabin). Its not just any other grizwold vacation, it is a luxurious holiday, for us anyway.

Indulgence is wonderful.

RCI requests......

Blah, blah, blah.

You are way, way off topic.

They asked what the majority of people actually wear?

And most of the posters gave them really good answers.

Save it for the weekly dress guidelines debate.

My question is for some of the members here that seem to be upset about people who do not dress "classy" enough. Why do you let it bother you so much?? IMHO, why does it matter what someone else wears??

I wear what I am comfortable in. I do not wear anything that is offensive to anyone else, so why should anyone care. I do not wear shorts and t-shirt to the dining room, but I am not going to dress in a suit or tux. I have nothing against the people who do, but I wear a suit every other day to work. I go on cruises to relax and not to dress like I am going to work. I prefer the dining room, and I will continue to dine there in "tasteful" attire.

Relax, stop getting all "up in arms" about how others dress. Dress how you would like to dress and let it go. ;)

We were on Enchantment a few years ago and sat next to a ten top that was all family, grandparents, parents and kids. Dad (middle generation) wore jean shorts and a T shirt to dinner EVERY night.

:eek:

On casual nights my husband wears a pair of Dockers and a sport shirt with a collar. A couple of nights he'll wear a Hawaiian shirt (always on the first night). Formal nights he wears a suit and tie. It seems like his cruise dress style is pretty much the norm. I do remember seeing a few people in jeans in the dining room last year, but never shorts for dinner. yikes!

I'm just thinking that there is a pretty good chance most people end up dressing more casually than RCI 'suggests'.

And you would be correct...:)

Most nights, DH wears khakis and either a Caribbean shirt or polo shirt with collar... I generally wear capris and a nice top with sandals... from what I've seen, this seems to be the norm... casual sundresses are seen frequently also... why anyone would take or wear jeans in the Caribbean is beyond me... Way too heavy IMO...

For formal night, I truly see more dark suits than tuxes... and for women, I see full-blown formal dresses and lots of just basic black with some nice bling to dress it up a bit... some stick to so-called "smart casual" for formal night also... once you mix all those people up all over the ship, it's just a blur anyway...

But do not fear... it really doesn't matter... no one is going to call you out for your manner of dress, at least, not to your face... They'll talk a good game on these boards, but the reality is that no one really cares once you are onboard and certainly no one would ever make a scene by calling you out for not dressing a certain way...

I've seen some REALLY low-key dress onboard (cut-off jean shorts with a sleeveless dirty tank top on a guy... WOW!) but they are truly in the minority and usually stick out like a sore thumb... Most, if not all, tend to clean up a bit for dinner and the evening time...

I guess we get the dining tables in the corner or some such because I don't really get to see more than two or three tables of people at dinner when we cruise and so far haven't seen the ball caps, t-shirts, etc. that others talk about. Then again, I'm too busy making sure your dessert isn't bigger than mine, which is more important that what you're wearing as you eat it.

And you would be correct...:)

Most nights, DH wears khakis and either a Caribbean shirt or polo shirt with collar... I generally wear capris and a nice top with sandals... from what I've seen, this seems to be the norm... casual sundresses are seen frequently also... why anyone would take or wear jeans in the Caribbean is beyond me... Way too heavy IMO...

I agree. As for the jeans thing, I've never brought jeans on my cruises. Way too heavy indeed! (I live in Chicago, and we have to wear jeans way too often during the year.)

Relax, stop getting all "up in arms" about how others dress. Dress how you would like to dress and let it go. ;)

Its just that if there is a dress code either enforce it or eliminate it because I just came back from Explorer of the Seas and saw a guy turned away for the 1st time wearing a tank top to lunch in the formal dining area. It wasn't one of those white ribbed trashy type. I figured he'd say the hell w/it but he left and came back with a collar shirt over it. Then later in the cruise, 3 females wearing capri jeans,beach flip flops and cheezy tank tops were allowed in formal dining room on a "smart casual nite".

During formal nite, there was a guy wearing t-shirt, jeans, sneaker while date was in a dress. Lastly, for casual nite guy wears t-shirt, shorts, and clogs. Give me a break

Its just that if there is a dress code either enforce it or eliminate it because I just came back from Explorer of the Seas and saw a guy turned away for the 1st time wearing a tank top to lunch in the formal dining area. It wasn't one of those white ribbed trashy type. I figured he'd say the hell w/it but he left and came back with a collar shirt over it. Then later in the cruise, 3 females wearing capri jeans,beach flip flops and cheezy tank tops were allowed in formal dining room on a "smart casual nite".

During formal nite, there was a guy wearing t-shirt, jeans, sneaker while date was in a dress. Lastly, for casual nite guy wears t-shirt, shorts, and clogs. Give me a break

There is not a "dress code".

There are dress guidelines which most folks seem to follow. I'm sorry but 5 people underdressed in a dining room of, say 800 is really no big deal.

Enjoy you vacation and quit worring about everyone else.

Do you really want *the reality*?

The reality is that these days people dress however they wish.

And some people apparently wish to be slobs.

Some follow the dress code suggestions, most dress nicely, but some insist on wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops and baseball caps to the main dining room for dinner.

There is rarely a "smart casual" night on 7 night or shorter sailings.

I could not agree more. The word "casual" is taken to extreme sometimes.

There is not a "dress code".

There are dress guidelines which most folks seem to follow. I'm sorry but 5 people underdressed in a dining room of, say 800 is really no big deal.

Enjoy you vacation and quit worring about everyone else.

THANK YOU!!!!

Out of the six cruises we have been on, there was one year that we were dealing with elevated levels of stress & tension that far exceeded the norm. Prior to the cruise we made a decision to eliminate the whole notion of formal nights and the clothes that went along with it.

We went up to Wind Jammers early on both formal nights, skipped all of the picture taking, etc., and hung low for the evening. We realize this is a "big" night for some of our fellow passengers and did not want to to be disrespectful by going to the dining room in our casual clothes. Could we have? Sure. But I have seen some of the "looks" that are given, and as I said earlier, we had enough stress and tension at the time and wanted to avoid making us (or anyone around us) uncomfortable.

As a rule, we don't generally go all out for formal nights. A collared, button-down shirt for him and dressy capri's with a nice top for me.

My DH brings a dark jacket with dark slacks. He wears them together on formal night, then the jacket and slacks with no tie and a collared shirt, or a silk tee, on smart casual. He wears the slacks and a pair of dark Dockers on all nights.

I have two very dressy pantsuits, one is satin and the other chiffon. I have other jackets I can wear with them if there are more formal nights on longer cruises.

I can pack all of the above, plus other clothes for a 14 night cruise in two 26" suitcases, plus 1 backpack and 1 bag carry-on.

I try to take lightweight clothes for our cruises, and DH wears a lot of tropical shirts.

If you want to dress up, the luggage restrictions don't have to affect you.

Basically, wear what you are comfortable wearing, and dress up to the level you want.

I have only been on three cruises but I am curious as to which ship you were on where people wore "shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops and baseball caps to the main dining room for dinner?"

My family were on the Mariner in Jan/07. Everynight at dinner ,in the dining room ,there was a young man of about 16/17 years old ,his wardrobe consisted ot jeans,t-shirt and baseball cap(that was never removed). The only change we witnessed was on formal night the baseball cap went from green to formal black!!!

My question is for some of the members here that seem to be upset about people who do not dress "classy" enough. Why do you let it bother you so much?? IMHO, why does it matter what someone else wears??

I wear what I am comfortable in. I do not wear anything that is offensive to anyone else, so why should anyone care. I do not wear shorts and t-shirt to the dining room, but I am not going to dress in a suit or tux. I have nothing against the people who do, but I wear a suit every other day to work. I go on cruises to relax and not to dress like I am going to work. I prefer the dining room, and I will continue to dine there in "tasteful" attire.

Thank you for your very kind way of putting what I was thinking. I too dress for comfort yet tastefully. I rarely see anyone wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and while I consider it a bit crude, it is their choice to look that way. By the same token, looking down upon someone who chooses not to wear a Tuxedo is being a bit snobbish, IMHO.

My family were on the Mariner in Jan/07. Everynight at dinner ,in the dining room ,there was a young man of about 16/17 years old ,his wardrobe consisted ot jeans,t-shirt and baseball cap(that was never removed). The only change we witnessed was on formal night the baseball cap went from green to formal black!!!

He should have been asked (told) to remove his hat in the dining room. There is a very good chance he simply didn't realize how inappropriate it was. We see young men wearing their hats during the National Anthem. The are not making a social statement. They simply haven't been told.

Archived