Carrib Princess cabin safe size?

dance4fun

We are leaving soon on the Carribean Princess. I'm considering bring my smallish laptop. I am wondering if it will fit into the cabin safe? (I assume they have safes, since the other cruise lines did.)

My laptop is 12.5 inches x 10 inch x 1.75 inches. It easily fits into the typical hotel safe.

Any thoughts from the readers?

uh .. that's a pretty small laptop. It might just fit. The safe's (IMO) are the same as they put in hotels.

I always bring my laptop and leave it out. Have never had a problem. Some people suggest locking it in your luggage and putting it under the bed, which is probably a good deterent as well. I guess you could also get a pop-up hamber and put it under your dirty laundry. Probably pretty safe there too. :D

uh .. that's a pretty small laptop. It might just fit. The safe's (IMO) are the same as they put in hotels.

I always bring my laptop and leave it out. Have never had a problem. Some people suggest locking it in your luggage and putting it under the bed, which is probably a good deterent as well. I guess you could also get a pop-up hamber and put it under your dirty laundry. Probably pretty safe there too. :D

It is a very small laptop but the reason I said it wouldn't fit is because a standard size piece of paper, 8 1/2 X 11 has to be folded to fit in the safe on the two Princess ships I was on. But, I guess he'd have to try it to find out for sure. Just as you said, we leave our laptop out and have never had a problem with it being bothered.

Sorry; must disagree. The cabin safes are not large enough for a laptop. They sit on the shelf in a closet; hotel safes (not all of them) are larger. The safes may be a foot across, but I don't think they are deep enough.

Pia

I know that some people have been able to put their laptop in the safe but they squeeze it in at an angle and the laptop itself is quite small. One thing to consider is that if you can get your laptop in, there might not be room for much else. I just leave mine out and am perfectly comfortable with that but you could also use your suitcase under the bed and lock the laptop in that when you're not using it. Perhaps ShellBeachJim can comment since he's one who has used the safe for his laptop.

The safe's are pretty small. I think the challenge, even with a small laptop, would be getting it thru the safe door.

That said, we just got off CB; son took his brand new $$$ laptop and pretty much just left it out on the little table in the cabin. No problems.

No way will a regular laptop squeeze into the tiny safes. I use an EEE mini-laptop (7 inch screen) when travelling and that will go in - just about - not much spare space.

Have you thought about a PDA or a BlackBerry?

I have never hidden either my laptop or my DVD player (which I take on very long cruises) and have never heard of any electronics missing from any cabin. What about your camera? Your camcorder? You can't put everything in a safe. Any time something goes missing a ship it usually is because the owner left it somewhere him/herself.

Pia

Unfortunately, I have both a work PDA and Black berry, along with personal phones, iPod for music and GPS system. I was looking at the laptop to replace some of the individual things and get a DVD player and ability to burn cds of pictures myself, rather than pay $25 to $35 bucks to the ship's photo store.

On past cruises, we have locked in the safe the camera, videocamera (amazing how small they are these days), phones, PDAs, GPS, pasports, airline tickets, credit cards, and jewerly when not in use. I've lugged the work things along to squeeze in some wok time to and from the cruise, more than while on the cruise. Alll these things fit, but there is quite a collection of things to lock in.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• 3 weeks later...

Below are links to postings I have made on this subject before. The first has pictures of the safe and the second give measurements of the safe and door opening. The pictures and measurements are from the Caribbean Princess.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14998649#post14998649

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=15039407#post15039407

Archived